IGNORED

Home from surgery. Not too good.

1BigDog

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had both of my knees replaced at the same time last November. The first four weeks were the roughest. But, the more you can work through, the better.

It is all about the rehab. Rehab people can teach you many different ways to keep your leg and the rest of you mobile, and how to do it yourself. They can also teach you different ways to sit, stand, lay down and all that neat stuff. Listen and do. It does work.

The other important issue is pain management. Take the medication that you need about an hour before rehab. That works, too.

If you can get from 0 degrees to about 125 to 130 degrees, then you have enough range of motion to do pretty much anything you need to do. I just wouldn't recommend trying to kneel down...ever. I forgot and made that mistake just once!!! :confused24:

Good luck to ya!!!! It will all work out.

Made it around the whole block today. Strange feeling. Tomorrow the staples come out. Looks like there are about 40 of them. Ill make sure and load up on Perks before I go. :smile5:

Made it around the whole block today. Strange feeling. Tomorrow the staples come out. Looks like there are about 40 of them. Ill make sure and load up on Perks before I go. :smile5:

Ruffy - staples are a piece of cake. I'm pretty sure they come out a LOT easier than stitches. I had 4 invasive surgeries on my rt knee before the tkr and I'm here to tell you, staples do not require meds.

One thing SURE - it's an old cliche but with regard to rehab, NO PAIN really does mean NO GAIN

Good luck and don't hate your instructors, they're just trying to help you.

You'll be climbing the stairs like this guy soon.:rotfl::rotfl: Hang in there.:thumbsup2::D

Hmmmm, you took my picture????

Took myself to total exhaustion today. Went to the Dr office to remove the staples. All 40 of them. Dr was surprised at how well I was walking with the walker 15 days out. Then went to 2 other stores. By the end of the second store I was pooped and leg was swollen. Did therapy when I got home and loaded up on perks. Next week we begin the bending in earnest...woohoo:smile5:

Venture members are tough.

You should be able to get some kind of city aid, perhaps volunteers, to get you to and from your PT; home care should help tremendously!

I had both of mine replaced at the same time in 04, and I am doing great. As above from others, PT is the key. Keep fighting for all you can get, then see if your PT can prescribe a gym (ins might help or other forms) and get instructions on specific machines for strengthening the knee muscles. The muscles are the only part of your knee now that will hurt if not strengthened.

Started riding again in 06 and am doing well with over 32,000 under my belt on the new knees. In fact riding :cool10:with my knees BACK is now more comfortable on my 86 VR than on the forward rest boards! Also, riding will even further strengthen you knees after PT. So if no staff infection, etc., you're on your way!

Keep us all posted and fiddle me a PM or call if you're headin into CO!

Prayers for stubbbbbbornness, good care, and great PT. :fingers-crossed-emo

Jack T

18 days post op. Actually started moving around the house with my cane. Makes hitting the john a bit easier. Still use the walker 98% of the time. Got my flex to 80 today. Not a great number but it got there with way less resistance. Im hoping to be at a 90 by next week. Wed we try the stairs and the recumbent bike. Tonight is also my last night on Oxy's. Tomorrow im demoted to Hydrocodones (lortabs). Actually did some repairs to the hot tub...stuff that I can do while seated, all in the name of therapy. Help is scarce around this house, other then my wife, who has really done much of the heavy lifting these past few months. Gotta love the wives!!

Once my scar heals sufficiently ill begin back on the bike again. Dont want to chance an infection. :smile5:

Made it up the stairs today! With the therapist of course. Also was able to do some full revolutions on my recumbent bike. Best move I have made, SteveW....thanks for the recommendation. Flex is coming along slowly but im getting to 84 without much pain. Therapist agrees that the recumbent bike will make a world of difference for me in attaining my flex of at least 100 with the least amount of pain. 100 is my personal goal to reach by early next week. :pushups:

Keep at it Ruff. When you get to where you can run a mile I'll come down and race you. 1st Gen against 2nd Gen. We already know the outcome!!!:whistling::rotfl::rotfl:

I would love to loose a foot race to you. Now if you want to try me on "Brown Sugar":innocent:

Still cant get past 90 on the flex. It gets there real easy now but my PT thinks my swelling combined with my large leg size is whats hindering me. He says im pretty advanced for being 4 weeks post op and im thrilled with that. Been cutting back on the hydros but the Dr gave me a script for Oxys to be used only for therapy sessions, which is working good for me. Getting better on the recumbent bike as well. Got to a steady 5 minutes without raising my hip off the seat. Goal is to hit the 20 minute mark. Next week I hit the treadmill as well as the semi elliptical stepper that has been in my garage for a while now. At least its finally getting some use. And im not even missing going to work...go figure that one...lol.:smile5:

I'm curious...did the hospital order a "cooling sleeve" for your knee? It pumps ice water around the knee to keep it cooler and reduce inflammation, accelerates rehab as well!

Be a good boy and do what the Dr. tells you ...+ 10%!

I'm curious...did the hospital order a "cooling sleeve" for your knee? It pumps ice water around the knee to keep it cooler and reduce inflammation, accelerates rehab as well!

Be a good boy and do what the Dr. tells you ...+ 10%!

Went over my hospital discharge papers and they showed me getting an ice cuff which is what you are referring to I believe. I never received one from the hospital. This was 4 weeks ago and after the snafu I went through with the early discharge im not too sure I want to go back there for it. The rehab hospital afterwards didnt use it so I just followed their recommendations. They were right on the money as far as I was concerned. I strap an ice bag around the right ankle and 1 ice pack under the knee as well as another over the knee, then I elevate it for a few hours.

I did use one of those cuffs back in 98 when my left knee was scoped and it was a pretty nice thing. Oh well.......

Should be starting outpatient rehab in 2 more weeks. Hopefully ill be released to drive my car by then. Wound is healing nicely too. :smile5: