IGNORED

Home from surgery. Not too good.

1BigDog

Had my RTKR done last Thursday and all went well. OS described the knee as a mess and I wouldnt have lasted much longer without the TKR. BCBS allowed 2 days stay but I was able to get the 3rd day. I wanted to stay for another week in the hospitals rehab center but the hospital advocates claimed all my ins would cover is at home therapy, which my OS agreed with.By Sun I had 0 0 70, walked about 300 ft and all should have been well. My concerns was that with my weight of 340 my getting up and down from a seated position would be hard. I still had a hard time with that. I was discharged and I was not able to get seated in my SUV. My daughter had to go home and come back with her lower suv. With some help I was able to get pulled into the back seat and finally home. I managed to get out safely and into the house. I still have not had a bowel movement since the day of surgery, other than urinating and passing gas. Now the fun begins. While at the hosp the therapists all had beefy assistants to help get me up. The home people show up and together they weigh less than me and both stood about 5'5 to my 5'11. Since my left "good" knee is also shot I was not able to put much pressure on it to raise myself up and the therapists, being so small were of no use to me. All I need is for someone who can handle my size/weight to get me past that one point and I would be able to function on my own fairly well. I also asked the hosp advocate to either have ins cover a lift chair or hosp bed for home use. No luck there either. So, the home nurse comes and accesses the situation and all home parties agree that I should be in a hospital therapy environment and they would make a strong recommendation for it. Or failing that, they would push for the fully automated hospital bed. and some beefier assistants. All I need is a few days to work this through and I should be ok. Lets see if ins cooperates. Bottom line: right now im basically stuck in my chair. If no one steps up I may have to call in rescue to lift me up. What really torques me with all of this was the fact that I had tried to address these concerns weeks before the surgery and during my 3 days there as well to no avail.

Ill see what the day brings......

I would also like thank those who offered prayers, sent PM's or called me direct. It meant a lot!!:smile5:

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hang in there. Hope you can resolve your situation. The therapy is the goal. When I had my shoulder replacement I gave it a lot, but not my all. Wish I did...there's that small time frame of really working through it, then keeping it up.

Good Luck.

Hang in there Ruffy and don't give up just yet. Make the folks responsible who's supposed to be taking care of you. Some day I expect to be in your shoes since my knees are going south fast too. Dread the day it happens but what can ya do? Not much but grin and bear till you get healed.:080402gudl_prv:

Larry

Hey Ruffy,

Glad to see you've been thru your surgery, wish I had some helpful pointers for ya but I'm OK down in my legs! Over the weekend I quit the pain meds they had me on as it was just wrong for me as I wanted too many of them and all I wanted to do is just sleep and lay around. Now it's just working thru it to make it better.

Good luck and I hope getting up and down is easier. BCBS handled me since this thing started, I'm OK with them but NOT some of the medical non-help that I had during this deal. I guess that's why my left shoulder is still giving me problems!

Dano

Got an infection setting in now. Mild, but not something I need to deal with. Im now on Keflex and the ins is working on getting me into a rehab facility as we speak. Ill kow more as the day progresses. Thanks, guys.

Well, after much phone calls from my health care advocate, Omni, I received a call from BCBS. They were actually surprised that I was released so soon. My BCBS advocate was excellent and within 1 hour she got me set up for inpatient care at Brooks rehab hospital for a minimum 7 day stay, more if needed. This place is da bomb for rehab facilities. I should be trucked off to there within a few hours so ill be gone again. Thanks again for the well wishes....see yas sometime in the future.

Got released from rehab hospital this am. doing much better. just wanted to thank those who took the time out to call me or put me in their prayers and thoughts. see yas around the site......:smile5:

Hey Ruffy, I had mine done first of Feb.Went in on Mon. March 6 doc said everything was fine and released me to drive and I didnt even have to ask if I could ride my mc,he just yes you can ride your bike.good luck

Good to see you back Ruffy. I'll find out Friday what they gotta do....

Keep us up to date on that shoulder. Friday im having my staples taken out. Should be loads of fun.

Walked with a walker last night outside about 1000 feet. Jean walked with me but I needed no help. I havent been able to walk 25' without stopping before the surgery. My goal is to get around the block by this weekend. Cant believe the difference it has made already, with my gait and level of pain. Got up this AM and bathed myself and shaved unaided. Gonna talk to therapist about getting on the recumbent bike as well. Im not sure I can tolerate manual manipulation of my leg beyond 85 but with the recumbent bike, maybe it can be achieved. I dont think my leg ever bent back past 90 on a good day anyway.

So, I plan on asking my therapist to please try and bend my leg back to my ass one time so I can kick it with sufficient strength to leave a mark back there.....those who have had this surgery know to what I am referring to........ :smile5::smile5::smile5: