IGNORED

How many times

Black Owl

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:sign brain fart:

And a 1st gen is so cool it doesn't need the HD look-alike faux air cool fins.

Gary

Seems to me like the 2nd gen's aren't trying to be anything they were not manufactured to be unlike some V-Max wannabes who never will truly be.:rotf::stickpoke::stirthepot:

V-Max or 1st Gen?? Which came 1st???:rotfl::rotfl: V-Max has a 1st Gen engine.

... Any oil that is not a single weight, has carbon polymers that expand when they get "W"arm hence 20w50... (20 cold 50 warm)

I always thought the W stood for weight, but have been recently taught it actually stands for "Winter". Although the SAE document in the following link doesn't use the term winter it does refer to the one without the W as the summer operation rating. "To correct this problem, a new low-temperature classification was eventually added to the Standard in 1950, and it became possible to grade oils by a low-temperature W-grade designation, such as SAE 5W, 10W, or 20W. Now the consumer could ask specifically for an SAE 5W grade, at that time the lowest of the three low-viscosity SAE W-grades, for cold weather driving, or an SAE 40 grade, for example, for summer operation." From url http://www.sae.org/news/releases/rightoil.htm.

"And a 1st gen is so cool it doesn't need the HD look-alike faux air cool fins.

Gary"

Those so called faux fins have kept my hands warm on many a cold day riding.

Edited by Gray Ghost
rewording

Seems to me like the 2nd gen's aren't trying to be anything they were not manufactured to be unlike some V-Max wannabes who never will truly be.:rotf::stickpoke::stirthepot:

So glad we could agree on something 1st gen engine first then V-Max anyway you cut it still trying to be something your not. Poser :stickpoke::stirthepot::rotf::rotf::rotf:

I always thought the W stood for weight, but have been recently taught it actually stands for "Winter". Although the SAE document in the following link doesn't use the term winter it does refer to the one without the W as the summer operation rating. "To correct this problem, a new low-temperature classification was eventually added to the Standard in 1950, and it became possible to grade oils by a low-temperature W-grade designation, such as SAE 5W, 10W, or 20W. Now the consumer could ask specifically for an SAE 5W grade, at that time the lowest of the three low-viscosity SAE W-grades, for cold weather driving, or an SAE 40 grade, for example, for summer operation." From url http://www.sae.org/news/releases/rightoil.htm.

"And a 1st gen is so cool it doesn't need the HD look-alike faux air cool fins.

Gary"

Those so called faux fins have kept my hands warm on many a cold day riding.

Oh yeah a 1st Gen also has those heat vents coming out the side cover....:whistling: Great hand warmers. Foot warmers if you pick your foot up a little.

So glad we could agree on something 1st gen engine first then V-Max anyway you cut it still trying to be something your not. Poser :stickpoke::stirthepot::rotf::rotf::rotf:

I gone out on a limb here, but I really do think my Venture will stick right with a pure stock 1st gen VMax.

I've got a bigger motor than the VMaxs came with, higher compression, better ignition and coils. Other than that the power train is VMax or better. Only real stumbling block is I can't find a header that will fit bike without giving up center stand. Putting a Marks collector, its on order, to try and compensate, mufflers are close to wide open., its on order.

I will know for sure at the end of June. There will be close to a 100 VMaxs at Thunder in the Valley in Johnstown Pa. and I will be there.

Not really trying to be a VMax, if I was I would have one. I have far more creature comforts than they do.

Everything I do to this bike is to see how far I can take a full dress machine. Some of the things on this scooter have probably not been done to a Venture before. Having broken 2 vertebra in my lower back a few decades ago, a crotch rocket just ain't that comfortable. This one is.

Last 'high performance' bike before my ventures was an XS1100. It was a quick bike. But not that all comfortable. When I discovered the 1st gen and the potential it has, it became my hobby. I have as much fun working on & re-engineering this bike as I do riding it.

Gary

Does that mean you apologize for calling my bike a hardley wannabe and admit its a cool bike too just the way it was born. I am kinda of sensitive about such things.:rotf::bighug:

I didn't hear That!!!

Gary probally has the "Boss" 1st Gen around. When it comes to plain Bone Stock "Brown Sugar" would be in the running. And if I ever get a garage not sure she will be stock. I may be bugging Dingy for advice!!

Does that mean you apologize for calling my bike a hardley wannabe and admit its a cool bike too just the way it was born. I am kinda of sensitive about such things.:rotf::bighug:

I think you should get a remediable course in reading comprehension if you interpreted anything I have ever posted, as not referring to the Yamaha Royal Star Venture, 1999-present, AKA 2nd Gen and/or RSV as anything other than a HD1AB. (Harley Davidson wanna a be.)

I have said they are nice, well made bikes. The people that own them are, and should be proud of them. Overall comfort, reliability and performance far exceeds the HD's. But why in the heck they had to try to try and make it look like an Ultra Classic HD is beyond me. This was a marketing mistake for two reasons. 1st, why imitate something that you are not when the original has such a cult following that the copy will be looked at with disdain. 2nd, since this bike has withstood the test of time, the new 1999 model would have been a great opportunity to start a new distinct look that would have carved out its own niche.

:soapbox:

Gary

I do believe you meant "you're" :whistling:

Quote:

image.php?u=2756&dateline=1300684102 flb_78 user_offline.gif

sub-human missing link

photo.png Supporting Member

United%20States.gif

KY.gif

View Photos By: flb_78

icon1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prairiehammer viewpost.gif

Do you really think the largest company in the world gives a rat's a$$ about product liability?

yes. All it takes is one massive class action lawsuit to put them out of business.

In fact, wasn't WalMart who pulled their house branded baby formula just because a baby somewhere died from a rare bacterial infection even though there was almost no way it was possible for the bacteria to have come from their formuala?

http://consumerist.com/2011/12/walma...f-newborn.html

Quote:

According to reports, the 10-day-old baby died of a rare bacterial infection not long after being fed Enfamil Newborn — lot #ZP1K7G — which had been purchased at a nearby Walmart. It is not know whether the formula is even related to the child's passing, but the retail chain opted to pull it from shelves while testing continues.

In the end, it wasn't from the formula but Im sure Walmart lost a bunch of money from their voluntary recall.

http://consumerist.com/2012/01/tests...ld-deaths.html

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I believe you meant "formula"....... the old saying about living in glass houses comes to mind :whistling:.....:stickinouttounge:....:301:

One of the reasons I don't look too close at the 2nd Gens. I don't know of very many that will not admit they miss their 1st Gens. The 2nd Gens are a good looking bike. Can't get around that. But I'll stick with the one they got right.(Almost) If I were ever to buy another new one I would have to look at the Wings and the Victory. But we have a lot of fun with it. As I have always said " It ain't what you Ride" JUST RIDE!!!

I will slow down and wait on those 2nd Gens!!!!

I have never said they weren't. Its just the 1st Gens Look Better!! I think Yamaha made a big mistake when they didn't just continue the 1st Gens when they brought the Venture back out. The 1st Gen was so far ahead of its time. A 1st Gen with ABS brakes and Fuel Injection??

And I would say that they must've gotten the 2 Gen right, 'cause look how long it's been running unchanged, since the beginning, 14 years! Now that's not taking anything away from the 1st Gens, but they did make a few changes to them. In it's time, I agree, it was ahead of it's time. On the same note, look how the 2nd Gen has been holding it's own against the competition! And it would be even greater if it had just a few updates! I didn't think Yamaha should have ever dropped the 1st Gen, but they did. Now it looks as though the 2Gen is headed down the same path. I just hope the next version is something we can all be proud to call a VENTURE. After all, whatever it is, it'll have some big shoes to fill!! And personally, an air-cooled, belt drive V-twin just ain't gonna measure up.:2cents:

They all copy off of each other. Sometimes it's due to attract more customers other times it's to comply with the EPA. Carburated bikes will soon Have to be EFI. EPA effectively shut down the 2 cycle street bikes in 79...

As far as keeping the bike the same and just adding abs. etc... That wouldnt work either, as, you'd still have people wining about not changing the airodynamics etc...

Every once in a shile you have to change the body style to attract customers.

I would like to see a lighter bike based on a FJR but with added wind protection (electric windshield) and comfortable seating... Oh... almost forgot... dump that rear shock and get something that will last the life of the bike... (rebuildable)

Edited by CaptainJoe