IGNORED

Where do I start-----Starter problems

I have an 06 Venture. Got on the bike yesterday and get 1 click at the starter. I charged the battery and still the same 1 click. Took the battery in and it checks out as good and fully charged. Checked battery connections and still only one click at the starter. Everything else works,lights are bright and etc. I am not sure where to look for the problem. Any advise is appreciated.

I have an 06 Venture. Got on the bike yesterday and get 1 click at the starter. I charged the battery and still the same 1 click. Took the battery in and it checks out as good and fully charged. Checked battery connections and still only one click at the starter. Everything else works,lights are bright and etc. I am not sure where to look for the problem. Any advise is appreciated.

The "click" is usually the solenoid.

Do all the panel lights dim when it clicks? That would suggest that the starter is trying to turn and drawing full (or more) power.

Connections are the main cause .... battery to solenoid, solenoid to starter, engine ground to battery.

Check and clean.

If that doesn't fix it then your starter motor has an issue. It may be "stalled".

Rock the bike (ignition off) in gear until the engine turns a bit ... Try again with the starter.

If that fails to fix it, the starter needs to come off for repair.

I am back at it this morning. It sounds like the click I am hearing is coming from under the battery. Like maybe a relay or something. Lights are not dimming when starter button is pressed. I am now thinking maybe a relay or loose connection to or from relay.

Thanks for your reply.

First thanks for all the ideas. What I found is that the click is from the starter relay. I pulled the relay off the bike and checked this and ran a test according to my Clymer manual and found there is no continunity across the posts. I think this means the relay is bad.

First thanks for all the ideas. What I found is that the click is from the starter relay. I pulled the relay off the bike and checked this and ran a test according to my Clymer manual and found there is no continunity across the posts. I think this means the relay is bad.

There will be no continuity normally, and continuity when you apply 12V to the low side.

If it clicks, and when "clicked" there is no continuity, then it is bad.

There will be no continuity normally, and continuity when you apply 12V to the low side.

If it clicks, and when "clicked" there is no continuity, then it is bad.

That is the conclusion that I came to . I have ordered a new relay

Thanks everyone for your help.

• 3 years later...
Hey Eagle, what was the outcome ? Relay ? I'm dealing with same issue as we speak, just searching for a direction after I go thru all the suggestions in this thread

As this thread is more that 3 years old and the the last time Eagle looged on to his site was November of 2012, I doubt you will get an answer on this one

Typical issues for not starting are:

1: Low battery voltage, not charged

2: Loose battery connections both positive and negative

3: Corroded battery connections , both negative and positive

4: Bad relay.

numbers 1 to 3 are pretty easy to check and fix, number 4 not so easy, but should be doable for some one slightly mechanically inclined.

Good luck finding the issue.

Go to starter. Short across the terminals with a screw stick. I starter runs, you can check off a couple things. A: you got power to starter, B: Starter works. So from there you are pretty much battery terminals, also terminals at ground point on block, starter button contacts and relay. you can jumper the switch out by disconnecting it at handle bars and using a jumper wire in terminal block to see if switch is possible culprit.

Hey Eagle, what was the outcome ? Relay ? I'm dealing with same issue as we speak, just searching for a direction after I go thru all the suggestions in this thread

Also, pull all sparkplugs and either put in gear and rotate back tire by hand, or use starter, to make sure you are not hydrolocked.