IGNORED

Hydration possibilities

friesman

I found this item on the net this morning and got to thinking that if I found a way to attach it to the trunk, and run the hoses to the front, it would be a great way to stay hydrated on those warm dry summer days, LOL!...:cool10::cool10: Alcohol-free of course! (at least until we got to destination:group cheers:)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0055NWNOS/?tag=047-20

Brian

Get a new windshield wiper bottle install in trunk run line (tube) up

and the wire for a switch and your set, In the old days I used to know

a guy that did that and His wife was always wondering why he was so

damn drunk by the time he got to where they were going.... the tube

came out just above the side window. :rolleyes:

Neat device.

I get by with a 1 gallon Coleman Cooler and a drinking tube.

It is fixed to the platform that carries my auxiliary gas tank, and works great:

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i418/twigg2324/Autumn%20Equinox/IMG_20110924_180906.jpg

Are you guys really doing marathons that 2 bottles of ice water wont do in a pinch?

Not trying to be confrontational and maybe due to my location in on the map but how long are your rides?

I've been out for 4 hours at a clip you eventually have to stop for gas.

I only get a bit over 2 hours between fills, but I saw that contraption and thought it would generate some discussion about what everyone is using to drink from on the road.

I use a full face helmet and would like to find something that uses a pressurized container that would push through a tube with a thumb valve on the end that I could drink from on the move. I dont always want to pull over, take off the helmet and have a drink.

Brian

Are you guys really doing marathons that 2 bottles of ice water wont do in a pinch?

Not trying to be confrontational and maybe due to my location in on the map but how long are your rides?

I've been out for 4 hours at a clip you eventually have to stop for gas.

Yes.

One of my July rides will be 4000+ miles in 100 hours.

I only get a bit over 2 hours between fills, but I saw that contraption and thought it would generate some discussion about what everyone is using to drink from on the road.

I use a full face helmet and would like to find something that uses a pressurized container that would push through a tube with a thumb valve on the end that I could drink from on the move. I dont always want to pull over, take off the helmet and have a drink.

Brian

You can fit a small submersible pump and run the wires to a handy switch. That way you don't have to suck :)

I haven't bothered ... sucking works.

Full face helmet isn't a problem ... It works perfectly well at any speed.

Seems to me, with that much intake, there is going to be a need for frequent stops to eliminate...if you catch my drift. Do you LD guys have catheters as well?

Perhaps 'Stiches don't show wetness from within?

I don't .... You dehydrate when you are riding, so taking in regular small drinks replenishes that.

You shouldn't need to pee any more than normal and it's nice, and safer, not drying out too much.

Heh ... I don't have a 'Stich either ... Personally I don't think that they are particularly great value for money.

On the hot sunny days you sweat so much that you dont have to stop and eliminate nearly as often. There was some days last summer when it was around 100f that you could drink all day and never stop except for gas.

I am on a med that makes my mouth dry and i like to have a sip every once in a while but its tough with the full face helmet. ive seen some bladders that marathon runners use that were pressurized with a valve on the end of the hose, but now I cant find one... figgers....

Brian

On the hot sunny days you sweat so much that you dont have to stop and eliminate nearly as often. There was some days last summer when it was around 100f that you could drink all day and never stop except for gas.

I am on a med that makes my mouth dry and i like to have a sip every once in a while but its tough with the full face helmet. ive seen some bladders that marathon runners use that were pressurized with a valve on the end of the hose, but now I cant find one... figgers....

Brian

The problem with a pressurised system, apart from the potential failure points, is that the drinking tube stays full of water.

That will have you drinking some very hot water.

With a regular tube and bite valve, when you have finished drinking you just blow the water in the tube back into the cooler, so all your drinks are cold.

I ride with a full face too, Brian and have been using a tube with a "bite valve". I attach the tube to my microphone boom and move it around to suit my drinking. I also use a collapsible water bottle tucked between the windshield and dash on the First Gen; doesn't hold a lot, maybe half a litre, but it gets me to next gas stop, unless it is really hot. I got that bottle at the Ontario welcome center in Sault Ste. Marie. Because it is flexible (basically a sac) I can fill it and still slide it down into that space between the dash and 'shield. The bite valve came from a different water bottle I found at a sporting goods store. I think it might have been a replacement part for those water bags on your back. What do they call them? ...Camelbak?

Go here for some good points about choosing a hydration system:

http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/hydration+system.html

Edited by Prairiehammer

I use something similar to these on my mountain bike:

http://www.camelbak.com/

You can get them at most bicycle shops in various sizes. Some of the packs are insulated to keep cold liquids cool (Or warm, as the case may be) and as well, the mouth of the bladder is usually large enough to allow regular sized ice cubes to pass through to also keep things cool. They have a hose with a bite valve and it can be slung over a shoulder within easy reach to fit through the helmet opening. As the hose attaches to the bottom of the bladder, you can just suck up the liquid as you would with a straw. This way the passenger can also use one or if they don't want to lean against it, it can be strapped to the trunk.

Andy

camelback is what I use in extreme heat. I also have a drink holder on the handle bar and I keep a bottle of gatoraide in it. I have found the gatoraide usually does it for me as water has no electrolytes in it. With out that I tend to get letahargic behind the handle bars and thats not good. I do also hydrate with water just found the gatoraide works better for me and I dont mind if it gets hot.

David

camelback is what I use in extreme heat. I also have a drink holder on the handle bar and I keep a bottle of gatoraide in it. I have found the gatoraide usually does it for me as water has no electrolytes in it. With out that I tend to get letahargic behind the handle bars and thats not good. I do also hydrate with water just found the gatoraide works better for me and I dont mind if it gets hot.

David

When not working too hard (Riding a motorcycle rather than the mountain bike), I've read that drinks like Gatorade are kind of overkill and can cause some minor problems. So, what I do is mix the Gatorade at half strength and that usually does a good job of replacing electrolytes and killing my thirst. Of course, it's quite possible that on an extremely hot ride (Say through Death Valley!) full strength might be better. But I do agree that water is not always enough if you are doing a lot of sweating due to heat and a drink like Gatorade is a better idea.

Andy

When not working too hard (Riding a motorcycle rather than the mountain bike), I've read that drinks like Gatorade are kind of overkill and can cause some minor problems. So, what I do is mix the Gatorade at half strength and that usually does a good job of replacing electrolytes and killing my thirst. Of course, it's quite possible that on an extremely hot ride (Say through Death Valley!) full strength might be better. But I do agree that water is not always enough if you are doing a lot of sweating due to heat and a drink like Gatorade is a better idea.

Andy

The last bunch of tests I saw suggest that milk is better than Gatorade.

A good diet, and plenty of water .... The so-called "electrolyte" drinks are a triumph of marketing over function .... but I'll never persuade those who swear by them, so I'll quit now :)

The last bunch of tests I saw suggest that milk is better than Gatorade.

A good diet, and plenty of water .... The so-called "electrolyte" drinks are a triumph of marketing over function .... but I'll never persuade those who swear by them, so I'll quit now :)

That may be true, but... for those who are lactose intolerant, watered down Gatorade is probably still the best option. As I mentioned, I have read that Gatorade at full strength is "overkill" for most normal situations....that's why I go with half strength or less.

Andy

:think:use the cup holder on the bars? :think:then when you run out of fuel

you get another drink and throw out the empty can, place the new drink

in it's place, simple.:confused24:

This works well for shorter, casual rides. I have RAM cupholders for both of us and we use them when we are just out for the day.

On LD Rides, in hot weather, you need a lot more fluid than that.