I'm new to these bikes but I'll give you an idea of what I would do. There are 2 horns, the one on the right side that is chromed and then one on the left side under the plastic works by your foot. Atleast my 09 is that way. Does either work? Or just sound sick? I would use a volt meter to make sure your getting power to them when you push the switch. If not then maybe the switch is the firt place to look. Actually I think I would ohm out the grounds for both horns. Not sure if the factory horn use a relay or not. If grounds ohm out good and no power @ horns my first guess would be a relay, possibly the button has corrision on the contacts too. If your horn has died I would go with a stebel. I have had one on the last 2 bikes and they definatly get your opponents attention. Hope that helps some.

Well sounds like you atleast have power to the one. See if you got power to the rear one. You can probably use a test light or volt meter either one I think. If you happen to have another horn laying around, slave it in. Last one I had that had the dying cow sound I think got water in it.

• 3 months later...

if horns are not working take a 12v tester and make sure that you have fire coming thew it .. if you do then there is a screw on the back of the horn that you can screw out just a little bit and the horn will work .. that happen to me and a buddy of mine showed then fix it in a jiffy

Before I go and replace my horns, what should i look for to make sure, its not a lose wire or fuse?

Locations?

OK First, there is no horn relay. Second, 12 volts is always at the horn, the horn switch switches Ground on and off to the horn. With the ignition on and the horn wires connected, you should see 12 volts on both terminals. If you only see 12 volts on one terminal with both wires connected then you have an open on the horn. If both horns were dead I would look at the horn switch but if one is working then there is nothing wrong with the switch.

Switch to air horns!! You need to add a relay. The existring horn wires can be used for the relay primary. Run a nice heavy gauge wire like 14 or 12 directly from the battery to the relay contact and then to the + on the horn from the other relay contact. Even brand new, the stock horn sounded like some Poindexter saying " uhhhh, excuse me..." whereas an air horn says "HEY!!!" Use the Wolo Bad Boy which is the same horn as the Steibel but cheaper. Carbon One makes a bracket to mount it if you are not the "McGuiver" type...

Another problem with the stock horns isn't necessarily the horn itself, but the puny wires that feed it. If you upgrade to a different horn, make sure you feed the new horn with all the power it wants, thats how you get loud. The Carbon One wire harness it outstanding and I have installed several on various bikes. It's a larger gauge wire with a relay that is hooked directly to the battery. This setup will actually make the stock horns considerable louder as well

:2cents:

CB: you sure them are horns? They look like siren take offs from a 1950's HD police bike. :whistling: Kinda nostolgic. Cool looking, but not for me. Down here sometime this summer I could see them filled up with water.

On the Bad Boy/Stebel horns. I was in Harbor freight last week and they had a couple in there for just over $30. I want to say like $32ea.

So I have a question on the stebel install. I put mine in the front left legiin lower. Wired in with a relay. If I swap out the one on the right side of bike do I have to install another relay harness? I'm kinda guessing its easier to do that than to try to fish wires from the left front all the way back. Has anybody noticed how much these types of horns have went up in say the last 3-4yrs? I bought my stebel for less than $40. Now you cant touch one fore $50, and if you want a chrome one your looking at close to $100 or more.

Mike, get the stebel horn and contact Carbon one for the wiring kit and bracket. Best money you will spend, at least on this.....:smile5:

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ok can I run a 12ga wire (house wiring) from the batt to the electric air horn Pos and the ground wire from the horn switch ? just looking at the wires I have around the house, I can go buy other wire if needed.

ok can I run a 12ga wire (house wiring) from the batt to the electric air horn Pos and the ground wire from the horn switch ? just looking at the wires I have around the house, I can go buy other wire if needed.

You really should put a relay in. Air horn is a lot of current through a switch like horn button has.

PDF of one way to do this is attached.

Gary

I have a 07 RSTD. No compressor. just have a electric only air horn I would like to try installing on the right side. so would I run the hot wire to a relay then the horn and just connect the switch ground wire to the horn button. I'm not great with wiring so simple really helps.