IGNORED

Do you think it will make it?

MJ44

I have a 99 RSV with 02 California sidecar, new to me as of April 2011

The bike had 14,000 miles when I bought it, and only 16,000 now.

Friends are planning a 2 week trip to Arizona this summer, about 5,000 +/- miles, and I would really like to join them. They are driving new HD's.

I plan on making several trips before this to get used to distance driving. (more than the 1 to 3 hour jaunts I've been on so far)

So the question is...........and I understand there are many variables..........do you think the bike will make it? :confused07:

Thanks in advance!

MJ

Prior to the long trip do the routine maintenance such as oil/air/gas filter change outs along with fresh oil. Check all brake pads. Run SeaFoam on a regular basis with every tank of gas as well. Check your carbs for being in sync. Also double check tire pressures and tread depth.

That's all I do with my Venture and then I ride it like I stole it and distance is no matter whatsoever.:cool10:

Boomer....who sez be prepared to see what those Harley riders experience and be courteous enuff to offer duct tape and sympathy....:whistling:

Hey MJ,

It sounds like you are going on the "trip of a lifetime" to me!

Here are some things I would check before that length of trip, and the heat associated with Arizona.

1) It goes without saying, a front and rear tire with enough tread to travel 5000 miles

(In other words, pretty close to new tires, on the side car as well!)

2) A fresh oil change (and be prepared to change oil at least once out on the road)

3) Flush and replace the Clutch Fluid as well as the Brake Fluid in ALL Three Master Cylinders. (Don't forget the rear brake master cylinder)

4) Pull the rear wheel of the motorcycle and grease the wheel splines and pins, as well as the Drive Shaft splines that go into the U Joint. (By removing the drive shaft) I use the Honda Moly 60 for this. Also replace the Final Drive Oil.

5) Check the fluid level in the overflow bottle for the radiator, and make sure the cooling fan functions properly. (If you have not done a radiator flush and coolant replacement since you purchased this motorcycle, I would. Consider replacing the expansion plugs in the cylinder area, since they are 13 years old))

6) Since you will be riding in Arizona, I would add a pint of "Water Wetter" to the coolant.

7) Add a mount for a water bottle to the handle bars, and select a place in your luggage to keep 3 or 4 more water bottles handy. They don't need to be chilled, but that need to be consumed, regularly. Heat exhaustion will impair your ability to operate your motorcycle, which is BAD!

8) Check your tire pressure EVERY Morning before you start the next leg of your ride.

9) Load your bike as if you are going on your trip so you can adjust tire pressure and air in suspension BEFORE you actually take the trip!

10) Check/Clean/ or Replace your Air Filters, and replace your Fuel Filter.

I too live in Pa. now, but lived and rode in the western US for 25 years, the weather out there is very dry. Adjust your water drinking habits for this.

I am sure others will add other things to check. Try NOT to go too fast, you will make the HD guys feel bad!

Have a great time, It doesn't get any better than the ride you will be taking. :thumbsup2:

Earl

When the (Sky)Doc speaks, you will do well to listen.

Enjoy your trip. This bike is worthy of many miles of trouble free riding. My 2000 RSV passed 100,000 miles last year and I am taking it to Alaska this year. No worries. However, I am not dragging a hack around with me (sometimes wish I was - the St. Bernard would love it).

You can rig up a Camelback or something similar in the side car. You may need an extended hose. Get a janitor's retractable key holder (the one with the retractable cable) and ziptie it to the passenger grab handle. Use some zipties and duct tape to fasten the hose to the key mechanism. This way, when you need a drink (often), reach back and grab it, drink, and let go. It is always there, and always out of the way.

Have a great time. The Venture is a wonderfully reliable, stable machine. The new HDs are pretty nice too.

RR

Thanks to EVERYONE for the encouraging words and extra tips!

The bike will be in for service this spring, and I'll take the list with me to be sure everything is in order.

I really appreciate everyone taking the time to send a response.

This site is amazing.....because of folks like YOU!

Friends are planning a 2 week trip to Arizona this summer, about 5,000 +/- miles, and I would really like to join them. They are driving new HD's.

I plan on making several trips before this to get used to distance driving. (more than the 1 to 3 hour jaunts I've been on so far)

So the question is...........and I understand there are many variables..........do you think the bike will make it? :confused07:

Thanks in advance!

MJ

Is there something up with the bike that would make you think it wouldn't? At 16,000 miles the bike isn't even used yet. It is a v4 water cooled bike it would make it even if it had 116,000 miles on it:clap2:

Thanks in advance!

MJ

put good slippers on it, fresh oil in it, check the pressures and twist the wrist. That bike's barely broken in...

I did a 3 week trip on my 2008 RSV with 2 friends on HD Ultra's and at the end of each day if we went 300 or 600 miles I felt good and would look for local points of interest to visit. They were always making comments of how stiff and tired they were and often passed on visiting the POI's. All in all we had a great trip totaling 8000 miles.

Don't think you will have any problems and I sure all of you will enjoy your trip. Nothing better than taking a trip like that on a motorcycle any motorcycle.

Thanks in advance!

MJ

Is there something up with the bike that would make you think it wouldn't? At 16,000 miles the bike isn't even used yet. It is a v4 water cooled bike it would make it even if it had 116,000 miles on it:clap2:

It's my sister's fault... I told her I was planning on going and she said "you need a newer bike because everyone has is driving new ones" I said that mine isn't even broken in yet, based on everything I've read and folks I talked with. Just confirming my research.

Just thought of something. Before you go, upgrade your clutch springs to either a VMax spring (available from Skydoc17) or to a Barnett setup. The hack is going to be tough on your clutch and the spring is a known weak point.

To change the spring is really easy, although the access is on the same side as the hack. Normally, you can do the change on the sidestand without even draining the oil. In the case of a sidecar, you will need to drain the oil first.

RR

Just as a suggestion.I would put a car tire on the rear.I had my sidecar on my 1999 for almost five years now.I have 20,000 miles on the car tire and it isn't showing any sign of wear yet.I paid $65 for the tire and never had any regrets.I have a rear tire on the front of my Venture with 14,000 miles on it and it is starting to cup a little so I will replace it with another rear tire.Just food for thought.The hack will go through front tires real fast.I have had good luck with the rear tire on the front.Otherwise enjoy the trip and your Venture.

Just as a suggestion.I would put a car tire on the rear.I had my sidecar on my 1999 for almost five years now.I have 20,000 miles on the car tire and it isn't showing any sign of wear yet.I paid $65 for the tire and never had any regrets.I have a rear tire on the front of my Venture with 14,000 miles on it and it is starting to cup a little so I will replace it with another rear tire.Just food for thought.The hack will go through front tires real fast.I have had good luck with the rear tire on the front.Otherwise enjoy the trip and your Venture.

I put a car tire on the rear in October. Only about 150 miles on it so far.

Thanks for the info!

Just thought of something. Before you go, upgrade your clutch springs to either a VMax spring (available from Skydoc17) or to a Barnett setup. The hack is going to be tough on your clutch and the spring is a known weak point.

To change the spring is really easy, although the access is on the same side as the hack. Normally, you can do the change on the sidestand without even draining the oil. In the case of a sidecar, you will need to drain the oil first.

RR

Thanks! I'll add that to the list for Sky_Doc17:)

Mary,

You have nothing to worry about as long as you take off on a fresh set of tires. Now if you already have an auto rear tire, you really don't have to worry about that. I ran a 91 Venture and Flexit sidecar (3 up) for several years and also pulled a pop up camper all over this country with no issues. See attached picture.

So go for it,

Rick

Thanks in advance!

MJ

For oil, if you aren't already using a top line synthetic (Amsoil 10w40, or Mobil 1) put that in. It's good for 5000+ without making a change along the way. Might suggest the Amsoil filter too or the Puralotor Pure one.

(on Purolator, use the longer one. I'll edit this later with part#).

Mike G