IGNORED

I have a Stupid Furnace also.

GolfVenture

I'm in the Seattle/Tacoma area, and we are receiving a record amount of snow and Ice rain. So this morning I lost power. No Problem for I've wired my home to accomodiate a generator about 15 years ago. I have everything except for Range and Dryer for the generator puts out 30 amps.

Now last year I had a new gas furnace/heat pump/electronic filter. I was told when the power goes out and being that I have a generator for power, all I have to do is set the furnace to EM Heat. This setting is to bypass the heat pump and only allow the heat to be operated by gas. I get power to the thermostat but the furnace does not kick in.

Prior to the new furnace the old furnace worked on the generator just fine and the new furnace electricial system uses the same power source as the old furnace system.

If any one has any suggestion please let me know.

Could be a thermostat setting if you have a T-stat that says heating - cooling you may have to swap that setting to bring on the gas. check the furnace and make sure that the thermostat connections on the circut board have something connected to them.. they are likely the R and W maked on the board but confirm if you had distruction booklet for it. I have found that the new multi use T-stats have been wired incorrectly as well. The have about 10 terminals on the back and the wiring can be confusing at best. Check the distruction booklet as above.

The last resort..... disconnect wiring for heat pump control and place a jumper wire between R and W if you are in big need of heat that should bring the heat on.

OOOOH yes and check the polairity of the electrical when the gen set is running! I have seen the modern equipment not work if the hot is not the hot if you know what I mean.

Edited by kevin-vic-b.c.
more info

My Furnace man called and we did some troubleshooting. The thermostat lights up because of the 3 AAA batteries. The lighting of the thermostat was miss leading. We made sure that all the colored wires when into the correct slot. Thermostat looks good. Went to the furnace, there are a couple of lights that should be on and they are not. That means that no power to the furnace. Maybe a circuit breaker is flaker. After the power returns I'll need to identify the breaker and replace it. Then do my generating testing.

how are you making out down there, we got kicked hard with the storm but not as bad as you in Wa State. We got more snow here than we have had in years and the cold is bitter. We have the freezing rain warning up for tomorrow so we will be thinking of you down there when that hits us.

If you need any more help send a PM any time

how are you making out down there, we got kicked hard with the storm but not as bad as you in Wa State. We got more snow here than we have had in years and the cold is bitter. We have the freezing rain warning up for tomorrow so we will be thinking of you down there when that hits us.

If you need any more help send a PM any time

Well this is the 3rd day I've worked from home, and tonight is the 1st day of work I've had to run my generator to provide power for work. I normally get by really great in times like these, except this time no heat. Beside no heat I've gas hot water tank for hot showers, I've have a sub panel system that provides most all swithes and plug in. Watching Direct TV, Oh I have no oven for it takes 40/50 amps and the generator only provides 30 amps. I can run my dishwasher, microwave, Washing Machine, Refrigerator.

I've lost a lot more trees than ever before for all the snow and ice rain.