IGNORED

Break in

Dusty

As I wait for some riding weather I've been reading through the owners manual. I can't believe Yamaha's suggested shift speeds for break in. I'm interested to hear how others road during the break in period and tips.

:canada:

I run all new or rebuilt engines under as heavy a load as possible for at least a couple hundred miles to seat the rings then just normal driving. I don't like excessively high rpm but heavy load.

100% in agreement . the heavy loading forces the rings out towards the cylinder walls which helps to seat them in better. as well don't stay at one speed vary your road speed up and down

Ride it like you stole it. I'm a firm believer that you get from it what you put in it. I have never concerned myself with a break in period except when it comes to fluid changes. I ride hard from the get go.

Like Redneck said "Heavy Load No High RPM's. Don't wind the gears out and don't hit the limiter for at least 1000 miles. Change your fluids as per the scheduled maintenance and you should have no problems.

5 Year Unlimited Mileage. Need I say more?

Wayne

Just to add to the heavy load thing.

Just my opinion here.

You can put a good "load" on by running the bike in too high a gear. I don't mean lugging it, I mean shifting sooner and using lots of throttle. I don't think you need to load up the bike with lots of weight. :)

What you really want are a lot of heating/cooling cycles to help seat everything. I run "hard" and then let it coast for twice the distance. I also stop a lot and let everything cool down and then do it all over again. I do this for about 200 miles. At 500, I take the RPMs up a bit and again at 1000. By 1000 miles, I've hit the limiter and can safely cruise steady at any RPM.

For the real anal (like me) I change the oil at 200 & again at 500 then 1000 and then get to the regular schedule. This what I do for my cars & trucks. But I haven't bought a new motorcycle since 88.

No synthetic oil also.

Only during initial break in, after that using synthetic is fine.

Heavy loads during break in are good for the rings, but what about the crank, cams, rear end gears, transmission, and any other gear or bearing surface..

The heavy load style of break in was developed years ago by racers after doing top ends on 4-stroke racing engines.

Actually, since the mid 80s, I've had 5 racing dirt bikes using synthetic from day one! My previous Husqvanra and my current KTM came from the factory with synthetic. I never had an oil related failure on any of them.

Yamaha probably advises whether you should use synthetic or not. i think most manufacturers, require not using synthetic until parts are allowed to mate in. Techs tell me there is a very small window in which to seat the rings to the cylinder cross hatch on todays engines possibly as small as 20 miles, talking 4 strokes here, if not done properly, you may not have any noticeable performance issues or failures, but will not make optimal power and have other seating issues. Synthetic will not allow it to happen and MAY be a warranty issue. Most people cannot tell the difference though. I use synthetic in my bike and it is worth the money, shifts beautifully with it and other benefits, but break in is another story. here is a good link. Breaking in a new bike is one of the finer things in life. Im jealous, enjoy it!

www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

:322:

i was told by a bike mechanic that yamalube oil is half syn and half petrobase oil. i took my wife's bike to him for 500 mle service and he asked if i wanted reg or syn in it and i told him i was told not to put syn till at least 4,000 miles on the bike. so he put yamalube back in it, which i'm doing the oil change the next time and putting mobil syn like all my other bike, 50,000 miles on my 01 and no trouble yet.

Dusty,

Hope you are not more confused now than you were when you asked this question, but I feel there are two items that are important in breaking in any engine. Especially if the manufacturer suggests a breakin. And these two items are :

1. Run the bike long enough to where it gets up to its normal operating tempurature.

2. Vary the engine speed while riding and not stay at any one constant speed. The worst thing you can do is break a new engine in on the interstate or a long straight road, unless you consiously vary the engine speed up and down.

The easiest way I have found to do this is to find a nice 30 to 40 mile stretch of curvy road and every day take a ride up and back on this road. The curves will allow you to vary the engine speed while you shift up and down. These curves will also keep you from running the engine at a high rate of speed. But also make sure that you don't baby it but don't try to blow it up either. Just break it in like you expect to ride the bike after the breakin.

And like has been suggested, break it in with Yamalube and then change to a good motorcycle synthetic oil and a premium filter.

Just my humble opinion,

Rick

Truoble with synthetic is it lubricates too well. therfore it actually works against the idea of lapping the rings in and actually causes the engine to take much longer to break in..

And if it takes longer to break in, then won't it take even longer to wear out?

As far as the initial run in of the rings, in most engines today that is done in the factory, before the engine is even put in a vehicle.

Everyone do what makes you comfortable, but I have in my last three street bikes changed to synthetic at first oil change, with no problems at all. And I just did the same to my 07 RSV..