IGNORED

Thank You Steve Jobs

Guest tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis

Any member here who uses a computer to read this site ( and that would be all of us) is using technology that Steve Jobs brought to the world.

The loss of one of technology's greatest minds will surely affect us all in ways that we will never know.

If you use a computer screen, a keyboard, a mouse, surf the internet, read email, listen to an iPod, have ever seen a Pixar movie (such as Toy Story, Finding Nemo, or Cars) or use a touchscreen smartphone, you can thank Steve.

If you have not seen Steve Jobs famous commencement speech at Stanford University in 2005, here it is. It is very much worth watching.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF8uR6Z6KLc]Steve Jobs' 2005 Stanford Commencement Address - YouTube[/ame]

And this article in the LA times is just one of thousands of items written about Steve in the last couple of weeks.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-steve-jobs-obit-20111006,0,7210103.story

Even Bill Gates and President Obama paid tribute to this man. I was surprised that there seemed to be no threads on this forum mentioning his death.

Thanks for reading this,

and,

Thank you, Steve.

Edited by tx2sturgis

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, you know that I'm not a huge fan of the Mac and I certainly don't agree with everything you have credited him for but I will acknowledge that he was a true visionary and that many of his products pushed other companies to improve their own offerings. There is no doubt that he will be missed and his contributions to the world of technology were tremendous. He will certainly be missed.

Guest tx2sturgis

Steve did make sure that the mouse, the graphical user interface, and files and folders were a part of the Original Macintosh Computers, arguably the first practical personal computers, even tho they were priced too high for the typical computer hobbyist.

From Wikipedia (Macintosh):

The Macintosh (pronounced /ˈmækɨntɒʃ/ mak-in-tosh),[1] or Mac, is a series of several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc. The first Macintosh was introduced on January 24, 1984; it was the first commercially successful personal computer to feature a mouse and a graphical user interface rather than a command-line interface.

Also from Wikipedia (NeXT Computers, another company founded by Steve Jobs):

Several developers used the NeXT platform to write pioneering programs. Tim Berners-Lee used a NeXT Computer in 1991 to create the first web browser and web server[36][37]; accordingly, NeXT was instrumental in the development of the World Wide Web.

Despite NeXT's limited commercial success, the company had a wide-ranging impact on the computer industry. Object-oriented programming and graphical user interfaces became more common after the 1988 release of the NeXTcube and NeXTSTEP, when other companies started to emulate NeXT's object-oriented system.[59] Apple started the Taligent project in 1989, with the goal of building a NeXT-like operating system for the Macintosh, with collaboration from both HP and IBM.

From DigitalTrends:

Phinney explains Jobs brought font menus to the masses, introducing not just experts but average consumers to individually designed lettering. “The idea that the average person on the street might have a favorite font was a radical thing.”

And though Jobs’ contribution has always been consumer-focused, it has had an immeasurable impact on the design community. Phinney relates his work with digital design and computing to the invention of the Gutenberg printing press. “In the same way that the printing press drove the rise of literacy in the late Renaissance, I think Steve Jobs has driven the rise of design as something that the general public is aware of. He drove an awareness of design including typography in particular.” Phinney’s only critique: The Apple founder’s use of Helvetica as the default font of iOS.

Again, from Wikipedia:

In 1985, the combination of the Mac, Apple's LaserWriter printer, and Mac-specific software like Boston Software's MacPublisher and Aldus PageMaker enabled users to design, preview, and print page layouts complete with text and graphics—an activity to become known as desktop publishing. Initially, desktop publishing was unique to the Macintosh, but eventually became available for other platforms as well.[30] Later, applications such as Macromedia FreeHand, QuarkXPress, Adobe Photoshop, and Adobe Illustrator strengthened the Mac's position as a graphics computer and helped to expand the emerging desktop publishing market.

Respectfully submiitted Don, but neither this forum, nor the internet itself, might even exist if it werent for Steve Jobs doing the right things, in the right time, in the right places.

Steve Jobs 300+ technology patents:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/08/24/technology/steve-jobs-patents.html

This thread is not supposed to be a us-vs-them debate, but rather an acknowledgement that what we all enjoy today in the way of computers and technology, was probably in some way or another, influenced by Steve Jobs.

Edited by tx2sturgis

I use the iphone, it is awesome, I have a mount on my handlebars and plug it in. It's my phone, my GPS, my email and my browser on the road. If I am hungry it tells me where restaurants are and the kind of food they serve, I need medicine it tells me where the pharmacies are, I need a Yamaha dealer it tells me where the nearest ones are. . . . I can touch the number and it calls them or the address and it guides me there. I can connect it to my bike and hear music or just take a ride when I am on call and know that I didn't miss anything staying at home. I can even click on the forums app and talk to u guys on the road. . . It's made life more complicated and simplified it at the same time.

I love his innovation and will celebrate that he used the gifts God gave him. I am sure he wouldn't have wanted me as his neighbor, we probably wouldn't have been hunting, fishing or riding partners but thats ok. In the grand scheme of things we will be judged by how we live our lives and what we have done for our fellow man.

This thread is not supposed to be a us-vs-them debate, but rather an acknowledgement that what we all enjoy today in the way of computers and technology, was probably in some way or another, influenced by Steve Jobs.

I agree and his contributions will be forever remembered.

Guest tx2sturgis
Steve Jobs was a brilliant man, no doubt. But he is being nearly deified after his passing. He was not perfect....maybe not even a "nice" person. Interesting read:

http://gawker.com/5847344

I never said he was a perfect person, no one is. He had many faults, and many of us have known that for years. He was not God, or Jesus, or Alah, or whomever you feel is your god.

I dont always LOVE everything Apple does. Ironically, Apple began as the anti-establishment computer company...going up against IBM.

And now, Apple IS the establishment.

So feel free to post anything negative you can dig up....there is a lot of it.

However, what I said is still true:

Steve Jobs influenced the technology world in many ways, and most of us would not want to go back to the way it was before, when you entered page after page of Basic programming to get your computer to actually DO anything.

At any rate, no matter if your a fan or not, the fact that you get to post it here...means your using things that Steve and his companies invented.

:happy34:

I don't want to argue that he wasn't a visionary and that he didn't make huge contributions to the industry but I also just can't sit back and let people give him credit for things that he absolutely did NOT invent. You listed a number of things and I could easily dispute most every one of them. The "mouse" is just one of those. Steve Jobs did NOT invent the mouse nor many, if any, of the other things that you listed.

http://www.whoinventedit.net/who-invented-the-computer-mouse.html

He also didn't make things affordable for the masses. I've been using computers since the TI 99/4A. It was certainly not user friendly but I moved from that to a PC with a single disc drive, no hard drive at all. I have also used a mouse for many years. It was affordable to the masses long before the Apple was.

I never said he was a perfect person, no one is. He had many faults, and many of us have known that for years. He was not God, or Jesus, or Alah, or whomever you feel is your god.

I dont always LOVE everything Apple does. Ironically, Apple began as the anti-establishment computer company...going up against IBM.

Steve Jobs influenced the technology world in many ways, and most of us would not want to go back to the way it was before, when you entered page after page of Basic programming to get your computer to actually DO anything.

At any rate, no matter if your a fan or not, the fact that you get to post it here...means your using things that Steve and his companies invented.

Brian,

You seem to feel that my post was somehow directed at you. It was not. What gave you that impression?

Guest tx2sturgis
Brian,

You seem to feel that my post was somehow directed at you. It was not. What gave you that impression?

No I was only responding....like you were responding....after all: I began the thread....

We all have the opportunity to post.

Guest tx2sturgis
I don't want to argue that he wasn't a visionary and that he didn't make huge contributions to the industry but I also just can't sit back and let people give him credit for things that he absolutely did NOT invent. You listed a number of things and I could easily dispute most every one of them. The "mouse" is just one of those. Steve Jobs did NOT invent the mouse nor many, if any, of the other things that you listed.

http://www.whoinventedit.net/who-invented-the-computer-mouse.html

He also didn't make things affordable for the masses. I've been using computers since the TI 99/4A. It was certainly not user friendly but I moved from that to a PC with a single disc drive, no hard drive at all. I have also used a mouse for many years. It was affordable to the masses long before the Apple was.

Go back and read what I wrote, Don, I didnt say he INVENTED the mouse...but his computer was the first to bring it to the public.

Post number 4 here is what I wrote:

"Steve did make sure that the mouse, the graphical user interface, and files and folders were a part of the Original Macintosh Computers..."

I didnt use the word 'invent'.

Henry Ford didnt 'invent' the automobile, but he perfected a way to make it accessible to the buying public.

Soichiro Honda didnt 'invent' the motorcycle, but he made sure to bring some to the USA that were reliable, affordable, and fast.

There are many examples of company leaders sucessfully taking a product to market....even if they did not actually imagine the product initially.

But I have accomplished one thing here...that is...to make you at least think about this topic. I'm sure we can have a similar debate when Steve Wozniak or Bill Gates passes on....

Hopefully we will have those guys for a long time...both are HUGE contributors to the computer industry as we know it, and Bill Gates in particular is a generous contributor to various charities.

Edited by tx2sturgis

Just to clarify things......I didn't go digging. I read the Google News page everyday. This article happened to be linked on their main page. Didn't have to go digging at all.

Being a Technology Manager, I share your admiration of the things that Jobs accomplished. One not mentioned often is that he and his "niche" devices (as many would call them) have forced Microsoft into doing some things that they would not have done otherwise (IMO). And this has been very good for the industry as a whole.

That said, I have the impression that Mr. Jobs would not have been a pleasant guy to work for or with. But, the "good + the bad + the indifferent" is what makes us all human, isn't it? Let's just not let our emotions change who the man really was. That in itself would be demeaning to him.

Joe

Guest tx2sturgis
Who is Steve Jobs???? Oh yeah that Mac guy. He was just another wealthy individual who was not a nice person. I won't be having any candle light vigils for him. As far as I am concerned he was just another "celebrity" turd.

I guess the vultures are circling the carcass.

I wont kick a man thats dead, no matter WHO he is or was. He was a flawed human..like all of us...thats whats amazing. But, he did have a lot of great ideas and marketing skills.

I will say again, I am NOT criticizing Mr. Jobs. Again, I think that his contributions to the tech world were tremendous. I simply take exception to many bloggers who are suddenly giving him credit for things that he is not responsible for.

Even you said in post 10:

"At any rate, no matter if your a fan or not, the fact that you get to post it here...means your using things that Steve and his companies invented."

I ask again, exactly what did he INVENT? I give him full credit for many improvements that he made to various products but he did not invent the mouse. He did not invent the GUI. He did not have the first system to offer a GUI and the mouse. That was Xerox. Though it was not a commercial success, it was their innovations that Steve Jobs and other built upon. Many of the employees of NeXT were ex Xerox people who continued in the development of the system that Xerox and started and that was in use in thousands of locations. Corporations, universities, etc. They did release a commercial version that was not a success. Apple built upon that. Yes, they were probably the first to make the GUI a commercial success but Amiga and others were doing so also.

Give the man credit. He deserves a LOT of credit but not for some of those things.

Edited by Freebird

Guest tx2sturgis
I will say again, I am NOT criticizing Mr. Jobs. Again, I think that his contributions to the tech world were tremendous. I simply take exception to many bloggers who are suddenly giving him credit for things that he is not responsible for.

Even you said in post 10:

"At any rate, no matter if your a fan or not, the fact that you get to post it here...means your using things that Steve and his companies invented."

I ask again, exactly what did he INVENT?

From the Wikipedia entry (Steve Jobs):

Inventions

As of October 9, 2011, Jobs is listed as either primary inventor or co-inventor in 342 United States patents or patent applications related to a range of technologies from actual computer and portable devices to user interfaces (including touch-based), speakers, keyboards, power adapters, staircases, clasps, sleeves, lanyards and packages.

I didn't say it he INVENTED the mouse, only that he brought that and the personal computer as we know it to the market. But these points are nitpicking. The fact is, before Apple, computer geeks entered data on hexadecimal computers, using a hex keypad and got the output via paper tape or IBM style punch cards.

I don't want to go back to that..I hope no one does.

The fact is, before Apple, computer geeks entered data on hexadecimal computers, using a hex keypad and got the output via paper tape or IBM style punch cards.

I don't want to go back to that..I hope no one does.

While not wanting to get in a fistfight over it, I was around in the IT world before the MAC came out. I have programmed COBOL using a mainframe, but I have also used software on the first PCs that did not require the user to program in basic or any other computer language. For example, Wordstar was a great word processing software used by admin types before the MAC came out. May not have had the ability to choose another font from the program, but a lot of our printers used a wheel (sort of like the Selectric typewriter) and you could swap them out if you wanted a different font.

Yes he drove some innovations. I personnaly was turned off on Apple due to all the problems we had in our computer labs with the Apple IIe. I used to know by heart which chip to replace in the hard drive when it started overwriting the program disks.

All in all, I think technology would have progressed even if Steve Jobs had decided to make his career as a flipper of hamburgers. I also believe that whatever talent I may have, there is someone out there who can do it as well or better than I can.