IGNORED

Front brake grinding noise

frankc

Good morning everyone,

My 08 RSV, having only 11K miles on it makes a horiffic grinding noise from the front brakes. I checked the pads and there is alot of brake left. Do I take the pads off and scuff them to remove the glaze? Or is there another problem I should be looking for?

Thanks

Frank

De-glazing them will only offer temporary relief from grinding sounds. A switch to EBC HH pads will eliminate those sounds and give better braking to boot.

Front P/N: FA179HH (2 sets required)

Rear P/N: FA123HH

My 05 did that with stock pads after doing a lot of slow speed stop-and-go riding where the brakes would be used a lot but never really get USED, if you understand my point. As soon as I would get it out on the road and up to speed so I could do one or two good hard stops it would completely clear up until the next time I did some hot weather stop-and-go riding.

Just going from memory, it seems to me that I only had that problem through the mid-life of the stock front pads (between around 10K and 25K miles) For the last 20K or so on those pads I never experienced it again.

Goose

My RSV also did this type of front noise. Lately, I've been using my front brakes a lot more than my rear and the sound seems to lessen over time. There are days that my front brakes will have no noise and there are days my front brakes will do its normal squeel. Still lots of pad left on both left and right / inner and outer.

I got tired hearing the grinding sound every time I made a slow speed stop. Even though the pads were more than 50% I changed the pads and serviced the caliber and have not heard that sound again. Don't know why it started but the cure seems to be simply replace the pads. :2cents: