IGNORED

whats the best engine oil to use

ok time for oil change whats the best stuff everyone uses? dont know whats in it now as i just bought it cpl months ago.

Biggest question of all time!!! I've used 20/50 Castrol "Dino" or car oil for about 45+ years. No problems and about 2 bucks a quart. Here we go again!!! Don't use anything with Friction Modifiers!! Will make clutch slip.

I will throw some junk on the pile.

I run Amsoil and the bike runs well and shifts great.

I read some threads here that syn oil affects the clutch. Makes the plates slip.

I run dino ( Rotella 15-40 diesel ) and about 4k (miles I change the oil ) I get the shifter to not be quite as smooth. Hangs up a bit. I actually miss second gear some times. I NEVER MISS SECOND GEAR!

Then I find some threads that dino makes the plates stick when the oil needs changed.

I am going back to Amsoil.

Fluid type oil ...:whistling: :rotf:
liquid type oil :rotfl::hurts:

In all seriousness I have been running Amsoil synthetic M/C oil. I change filters every 4,000 KM and the oil every 4th filter about 20,000 km. I have been thinking about going back to dino oil however because (A) it is cheaper ( although I would change the dino oil more frequently) and (B) it seems the dino oil tends to do a better job of reducing mechanical noise from the the engine. But then again I could just be imagining it :think:

It doesn't matter as long as it meets the Yamaha specs. Some choose their oil by the way the clutch sounds. In my opinion, pick an oil and stay with it.

:farmer:

That's what I did. Tried a few different types and now use the one that seems to quiet the whine down the best.

Yamalube Synthetic.

I go to my friendly Pep Boys and get Castrol dino for motorcycles, 10W40.

Or to Auto Zone and get Valvoline dino for motorcycles, 10W40.

I use 10W40 regardless of season. Oil level stays midway through the sight glass, all the time. 76,000 miles on my 1988 V.R. of which 30,000 are mine.

Nick Diaz

Middletown, MD

going more than 2k on dino oil has been proven in tests to not be good. As dino 20w50 is thinned to 20w30 by 2k miles on these tranny in engine JAP bikes. Meaning it's high temp protecion is weak. As where the Amsoils and Mobil1 oils stay 20w50 past 2k miles. I change mine using Mobil1 20w50 at 2k or a bit past. This might explain why compression tests and dyno runs have not changed in 10 years on my bike even with messed up carbs...90+hp at the rear wheel.:) yes it's stock . Just because your 4k mile oil changes don't appear to do any harm...it's just a matter of accelerated wear that you have yet to feel.