IGNORED

voyager trike problems

hojo

Hi I'am new to biking bought a 2003 royal star venture with a voyage kit on it.Had all kind of problems with it.I took it to a voyage dealer he relined it back up and tighten loose bolts.He said wheels were toed in more then likly from voyage.He corrected that problem,however in some curves it's hard hard hard to handle.I talk to three trike builders in our area .They tell me voyage trike kits are real problem.That not much can do for them. That even a product like ez steer won't help. I live in cleveland tn. so roads are windy.I was told by two trike builders not to wast anymore money. The problem is the three wheels work against each orther in a tight turn, no why to slove this.

I had the voyager kit on my RSV.It takes a while to get the setup right.First thing is to make sure it is centered.Then you have to play with the pre-load. I found that if you increase the pre-load to 3/4 inch, it works really well on our bikes. This is very important,MAKE SURE THERE IS ON AIR PRESSURE IN THE REAR SHOCK when setting the pre-load. after setting the pre-load pump up the shock as desired. My bike handled much better when set up this way. another thing is the trike tire pressure,I set mine to around 15psi. You can play with this to improve the ride and handling. as for the loose nuts,use locktite.

• Thanks 1

One thing I forgot to mention, The voyager trike kit now handles all most as good as my Motortrike venture. All trike builders will tell you the samething about the voyager kits. After all they want to convert your bike to a trike.

hi larry

i have a '99 motor trike w/o the rake kit. i have installed 1" & 1/2 risers on the handle bars. this seams to help with the steering. i have drove it in the texas hill country

on the 3-sisters (fm's 337,336,and 335) some of the best twisties in the state. with no big problems. there are post's here about changing the handle bars out to flanders or td's. the rake kit from haggan is $1,000. and rakes the front end out another 6" for a total of 12".

carbon one (larry) and other trike riders say this is the best mod to do on the trike to help with steering ( like having power steering ).

don c.

I HAD TROUBLE WITH MY VOYAGER TRIKE KIT AND HAD TO HAVE IT ADJUSTED SEVERAL DIFFERENT TIMES. I FINALLY MADE A PIECE FOR EITHER SIDE THAT BOLTS TO THE SIDE OF THE BIKE AND TO THE FRAME OF THE KIT. THIS TOOK CARE OF MY PROBLEMS AND IT RIDES LIKE A TRIKE WITH A STRAIGHT AXLE NOW. THERE'S NOT MUCH LEAN IN CURVES, AND IT'S A GOOD BALANCED RIDE . I WILL BE GLAD TO SEND YOU PICTURES IF YOU GIVE ME YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS. :lightbulb:

thanks happy trails i have a car tire on back of bike.i was told it should come off.the car tire is flat surface therefore with the voyager tires being flat sureface they work against each orther in turning.that also they don't stop as good mostly on wet road . i was told never put one on front of bike .that they could kill you on wet surface.

Put close to a 1000 miles on last week.I went to ky. Stearns and Cumberland falls.Then took 25 back to tn.I had problems three times on turns that worried me. I order risers for handel bars. THANKS TO ALL for help

hi larry

i have a '99 motor trike w/o the rake kit. i have installed 1" & 1/2 risers on the handle bars. this seams to help with the steering. i have drove it in the texas hill country

on the 3-sisters (fm's 337,336,and 335) some of the best twisties in the state. with no big problems. there are post's here about changing the handle bars out to flanders or td's. the rake kit from haggan is $1,000. and rakes the front end out another 6" for a total of 12".

carbon one (larry) and other trike riders say this is the best mod to do on the trike to help with steering ( like having power steering ).

don c.

Hey Don, does your's pull a tad to the right when riding on secondary roads?

hi bob

can't realy say about the pull to the right on secondary roads as of yet. but will keep and eye out. i do have a slight lean to the right on level ground but i need to check the ladder bar's for proper ajustment.

don c.

hi bob

can't realy say about the pull to the right on secondary roads as of yet. but will keep and eye out. i do have a slight lean to the right on level ground but i need to check the ladder bar's for proper ajustment.

don c.

Don; this link is for the GL1800 MT Trike, but the Ladder Bar System is the same concept on all of their kits. The adjustments should be similar if not the same. The Safety Bar up front, and the Lateral Brace adjustments are the same as far as play goes. Maybe it will help in some areas on your Trike. I wrote it in 08, and there are addendum's that haven't been added, but they are for their new IRS which is an entirely different system.

http://www.junkmaster.com/kj5ix/MTServiceManual.pdf

• 9 months later...
I HAD TROUBLE WITH MY VOYAGER TRIKE KIT AND HAD TO HAVE IT ADJUSTED SEVERAL DIFFERENT TIMES. I FINALLY MADE A PIECE FOR EITHER SIDE THAT BOLTS TO THE SIDE OF THE BIKE AND TO THE FRAME OF THE KIT. THIS TOOK CARE OF MY PROBLEMS AND IT RIDES LIKE A TRIKE WITH A STRAIGHT AXLE NOW. THERE'S NOT MUCH LEAN IN CURVES, AND IT'S A GOOD BALANCED RIDE . I WILL BE GLAD TO SEND YOU PICTURES IF YOU GIVE ME YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS. :lightbulb:

Hi,

I am also having problems with my voyager kit on a HD Sportster. Could you send me the picture of what you did.

Thanks,

smithrogerw76@aol.com

• 1 year later...

Hi Just trying to gert used to Voyager Kit any help would be greatly appreciated . Thanks

Bob

email address is rc440@yahoo.ca

Edited by RCEME Bob 433
missed info

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

I am also having problems with my voyager kit on a HD Sportster. Could you send me the picture of what you did.

Thanks,

smithrogerw76@aol.com

Can you please send me photos of what you did to the Voyager Tike Kit. I am having issues with my trike kit on my 1982 Goldwing. Looking for a way to stabelize it better. I am not caring if it is not a quick release, I just want it to be safe.

Thanks,

Sam

Sam@nc.rr.com

I would also like pictures..I am in the process of changing my voyager kit from my 82 Goldwing 1100I to my 88 venture e-mail...trackman09@yahoo.com

I was wondering if you ever got the photos with how to stabelize the Voyager Trike Kit. I have a 82 Goldwing as well. Please send me any photos and or hints you may have.

Thanks,

Sam

Sam@nc.rr.com

Looking for any photos and or info on how to stabilize the Voyager Trike kit on my 82 Goldwing. I am thinking on building soem side brackets to make it more stable. But I just am not sure what that will do to the ride and or handeling. Please any info or input will be great.

Thanks,

Sam

Sam@nc.rr.com

• 4 months later...

If anyone is ever having problems with a kit, please give us a call at (815) 434-7900. We are more than happy to help you diagnose the problem and fix it.

Problems in the ride are generally a quick fix. We have technical help available from 8:00am-3:30pm for free. Once you have the kit setup properly, the ride is fantastic.

Sincerely,

Motorcycle Tour Conversions, Inc.

Home of the Voyager

• 6 months later...

wbarclay@shaw.ca would appreciate.