Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25

Thread: voyager trike problems

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Cleveland
    Posts
    6
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default voyager trike problems

    Hi I'am new to biking bought a 2003 royal star venture with a voyage kit on it.Had all kind of problems with it.I took it to a voyage dealer he relined it back up and tighten loose bolts.He said wheels were toed in more then likly from voyage.He corrected that problem,however in some curves it's hard hard hard to handle.I talk to three trike builders in our area .They tell me voyage trike kits are real problem.That not much can do for them. That even a product like ez steer won't help. I live in cleveland tn. so roads are windy.I was told by two trike builders not to wast anymore money. The problem is the three wheels work against each orther in a tight turn, no why to slove this.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    romulus
    Posts
    1,615
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default

    I had the voyager kit on my RSV.It takes a while to get the setup right.First thing is to make sure it is centered.Then you have to play with the pre-load. I found that if you increase the pre-load to 3/4 inch, it works really well on our bikes. This is very important,MAKE SURE THERE IS ON AIR PRESSURE IN THE REAR SHOCK when setting the pre-load. after setting the pre-load pump up the shock as desired. My bike handled much better when set up this way. another thing is the trike tire pressure,I set mine to around 15psi. You can play with this to improve the ride and handling. as for the loose nuts,use locktite.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    romulus
    Posts
    1,615
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default

    One thing I forgot to mention, The voyager trike kit now handles all most as good as my Motortrike venture. All trike builders will tell you the samething about the voyager kits. After all they want to convert your bike to a trike.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Cleveland
    Posts
    6
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default voyage trike problems

    Thanks for the information .Did you change the rake?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    cleveland
    Posts
    1,720
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default

    hi larry
    i have a '99 motor trike w/o the rake kit. i have installed 1" & 1/2 risers on the handle bars. this seams to help with the steering. i have drove it in the texas hill country
    on the 3-sisters (fm's 337,336,and 335) some of the best twisties in the state. with no big problems. there are post's here about changing the handle bars out to flanders or td's. the rake kit from haggan is $1,000. and rakes the front end out another 6" for a total of 12".
    carbon one (larry) and other trike riders say this is the best mod to do on the trike to help with steering ( like having power steering ).
    don c.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Worthville
    Posts
    59
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default Voyager trike kit

    I HAD TROUBLE WITH MY VOYAGER TRIKE KIT AND HAD TO HAVE IT ADJUSTED SEVERAL DIFFERENT TIMES. I FINALLY MADE A PIECE FOR EITHER SIDE THAT BOLTS TO THE SIDE OF THE BIKE AND TO THE FRAME OF THE KIT. THIS TOOK CARE OF MY PROBLEMS AND IT RIDES LIKE A TRIKE WITH A STRAIGHT AXLE NOW. THERE'S NOT MUCH LEAN IN CURVES, AND IT'S A GOOD BALANCED RIDE . I WILL BE GLAD TO SEND YOU PICTURES IF YOU GIVE ME YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Spring City,UT
    Posts
    819
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default

    Has anyone who has tried a voyager kit also put a car tire on with the kit? Seems like a logical addition to me.You aren't going to lean much if any and you would get a better/wider contact patch for power delivery/breaking.
    Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Cleveland
    Posts
    6
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default voyage trike problems

    thanks fishrepair email is lawrencewaibel@yahoo.com

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Cleveland
    Posts
    6
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default voyage trike problems

    thanks happy trails i have a car tire on back of bike.i was told it should come off.the car tire is flat surface therefore with the voyager tires being flat sureface they work against each orther in turning.that also they don't stop as good mostly on wet road . i was told never put one on front of bike .that they could kill you on wet surface.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    romulus
    Posts
    1,615
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default

    If you install the ez steer on the voyager you better not plan on removing the trike kit and ride 2 wheels.It will not handle worth a darn.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Cleveland
    Posts
    6
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default voyage trike problems

    Put close to a 1000 miles on last week.I went to ky. Stearns and Cumberland falls.Then took 25 back to tn.I had problems three times on turns that worried me. I order risers for handel bars. THANKS TO ALL for help

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    romulus
    Posts
    1,615
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gunboat View Post
    hi larry
    i have a '99 motor trike w/o the rake kit. i have installed 1" & 1/2 risers on the handle bars. this seams to help with the steering. i have drove it in the texas hill country
    on the 3-sisters (fm's 337,336,and 335) some of the best twisties in the state. with no big problems. there are post's here about changing the handle bars out to flanders or td's. the rake kit from haggan is $1,000. and rakes the front end out another 6" for a total of 12".
    carbon one (larry) and other trike riders say this is the best mod to do on the trike to help with steering ( like having power steering ).
    don c.
    Hey Don, does your's pull a tad to the right when riding on secondary roads?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    cleveland
    Posts
    1,720
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default

    hi bob
    can't realy say about the pull to the right on secondary roads as of yet. but will keep and eye out. i do have a slight lean to the right on level ground but i need to check the ladder bar's for proper ajustment.
    don c.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Graham
    Posts
    593
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gunboat View Post
    hi bob
    can't realy say about the pull to the right on secondary roads as of yet. but will keep and eye out. i do have a slight lean to the right on level ground but i need to check the ladder bar's for proper ajustment.
    don c.

    Don; this link is for the GL1800 MT Trike, but the Ladder Bar System is the same concept on all of their kits. The adjustments should be similar if not the same. The Safety Bar up front, and the Lateral Brace adjustments are the same as far as play goes. Maybe it will help in some areas on your Trike. I wrote it in 08, and there are addendum's that haven't been added, but they are for their new IRS which is an entirely different system.

    http://www.junkmaster.com/kj5ix/MTServiceManual.pdf

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    East Tn
    Posts
    1
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fishrepair View Post
    I HAD TROUBLE WITH MY VOYAGER TRIKE KIT AND HAD TO HAVE IT ADJUSTED SEVERAL DIFFERENT TIMES. I FINALLY MADE A PIECE FOR EITHER SIDE THAT BOLTS TO THE SIDE OF THE BIKE AND TO THE FRAME OF THE KIT. THIS TOOK CARE OF MY PROBLEMS AND IT RIDES LIKE A TRIKE WITH A STRAIGHT AXLE NOW. THERE'S NOT MUCH LEAN IN CURVES, AND IT'S A GOOD BALANCED RIDE . I WILL BE GLAD TO SEND YOU PICTURES IF YOU GIVE ME YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS.
    Hi,
    I am also having problems with my voyager kit on a HD Sportster. Could you send me the picture of what you did.
    Thanks,
    smithrogerw76@aol.com
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. C/T on a Voyager Trike?
    By DONATALIE in forum The Darksiders
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-21-2009, 07:52 AM
  2. voyager trike kit
    By nyjerry in forum Trike & Sidecar Talk
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-25-2008, 09:12 PM
  3. Voyager Kit Problems
    By FROG MAN in forum Trike & Sidecar Talk
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-21-2008, 10:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •