IGNORED

retirement bike

Snarley Bill

since retirement is getting closer and i want to get down to one bike. i have three choices so far. i love my v-star, and have been looking at a victory crossroads, and a triumph thunder bird. the v-star is the cheapest route, but i sure like them other two. such a delema. :sign29: :depressed:

Let me throw in a curve ....

Depending on the budget, and the kind of riding you want to do, I would take a long, hard look at the new BMW K1300.

If I were buying ONE bike, for my retirement, it would be on the list :)

I took a factory test ride on the new Triumph Thunderbird.

I prefer the RSTD which is roughly comparable in size and accessories and power. And a lower price.

You can get a low mileage RSTD for a very good price right now, or a new old stock.

You need to give more info. What kind of riding is in your future? I had a Thunderbird last year, but a very nice lady with wrap around sunglasses ran over it while turning a corner. I was parked near the intersection in a leagal parking spot. My next smaller bike will be the Triumph America, since I did not relate to the Thunderbirds handling.

:farmer:

Edited by Sylvester

See Bill, your memory is getting bad. I can still remember when any 1300cc engine was a big torquey motor.. :backinmyday:

The Victory CC looks like a fine ride. Guess I'll have to go for a demo ride one of these days. there's a Victory dealer about 25 miles away.

since retirement is getting closer and i want to get down to one bike. i have three choices so far. i love my v-star, and have been looking at a victory crossroads, and a triumph thunder bird. the v-star is the cheapest route, but i sure like them other two. such a delema. :sign29: :depressed:

Bill, I disagree with the original premise. Once you retire, you have more time to fix things and can EXPAND the stable.

Need a big cruiser for long trips, a dual sport for riding forest roads and going camping, a fun small bike for bounding to the hardware store, an older bike with a hack to take the grandkids/dog for a ride, and a couple of old beaters to get you into the shop and out from under your wife's feet.

As you know so well, we here on VR are experts at spending OPM (other people's money). Our service is now complete on this request.

:smile5:

Enjoy your retirement.

RR

i found a new 2009 stratoliner s on ebay for a buy now of $11,400+. it is the all chrome model with bags and a windshield. i am thinking seriously about buying it. any pros and cons i should know about? i need to call tomorrow to close the deal. it's not far from me and it is a deale,r so i can run up there and pick it up in ind.. it's around $4000.00 below list.

Why get rid of a perfectly good bike you have already made your own, I love my 1300 and wouldnt think of parting with it, I still have a couple of mods I still want to do, but with cash in short supply they will have to wait. I am working on getting the 83 back in top notch running order and with those 2 bikes thats all I will need for riding. Shrink your stable, and really do some far out mods:mo money::mo money: to the 1300 or one of the other bikes.............There is so much you can do to it to really make it stick out............11,000.00, now thats quite a bankroll to work with, because you know if you but the Strat, you wont be satisfied with it as it sits..............:stirthepot::stirthepot:

Seeya at Vogel.................:thumbsup:

i found a new 2009 stratoliner s on ebay for a buy now of $11,400+. it is the all chrome model with bags and a windshield. i am thinking seriously about buying it. any pros and cons i should know about? i need to call tomorrow to close the deal. it's not far from me and it is a deale,r so i can run up there and pick it up in ind.. it's around $4000.00 below list.

The Strat would be my first choice. The only drawbacks to a Stratoliner are the limited number of accessories and the short rear tire life. From looking into buying one myself it seems the tire life is about 7000 miles. Because of that, it seems a larger percentage of 'liner owners go to the Darkside than other bike owners.

But the Victory would be a great choice too.

Bill,

A buddy of mine has one. Great bike, I have ridden it and it is sweet. However, the tire life STINKS!!! Both front and rear wear very fast on this bike. Don't know if it is due to some design flaw in the bike, or if the tires are just not manufactured for long life. I would have to buy 2 or 3 sets a year.....too $$$$ for me.

Joe

Why get rid of a perfectly good bike you have already made your own, I love my 1300 and wouldnt think of parting with it, I still have a couple of mods I still want to do, but with cash in short supply they will have to wait. I am working on getting the 83 back in top notch running order and with those 2 bikes thats all I will need for riding. Shrink your stable, and really do some far out mods:mo money::mo money: to the 1300 or one of the other bikes.............There is so much you can do to it to really make it stick out............11,000.00, now thats quite a bankroll to work with, because you know if you but the Strat, you wont be satisfied with it as it sits..............:stirthepot::stirthepot:

Seeya at Vogel.................:thumbsup:

not to worry lewis i will keep my 1300. it is going to be my rain bike. just can't part wityh it. wanting the strat for the long haul with mama. not a done deal yet. will probably bring the 1300 to vogel. see you there. bill :2133:

Test drove a 2011 Strat deluxe recently. Highs -Torque everywhere, light handling (vs RSV). Lows vibration at any rpm through grips and pegs, much more than a Harley touring model and I have owned one and driven a few.

Vibration is a deal breaker for me. Wrists go numb on my guzzi after an hour or so but that's my sport bike, not a tourer. Strat deluxe would have same problem. Make sure you get to take one for a long test drive first.

If you like the Cross Roads you should look at the Cross Country. Same engine and frame with a fairing, cruise control and a great stereo. You can add an ipod connection to the stereo also. i've had my cross country now for almost a year and i love it. I had an airbagger Wing before the CC and wanted something a little simpler. The Victory has great power, torque and is really smooth. The saddlebags are large and you can add a luggage rack or if you want to spend the bucks there is a trunk with passenger backrest, speakers and a brake light built in. The riding position on the CC is very comfortable with large floorboards, eye level guages, and stretched out handlebars. The seat is fairly comfortable and you can add a backrest although I haven't really missed it. The belt drive is quiet and smooth and almost maintenance free. I do miss the linked brakes on the Wing but the Cross Roads and Cross Country have super brakes. ABS and linked brakes are not available--yet.

I test rode a Stratoliner and although it is very powerful and torquey, and feels very light it just didn't fit ME. The other thing I didn't like was the small fuel tank.

Last week I took a test ride on a 2012 Wing, and although I really like the Wings I did not like the 2012. Didn't fit me like my 2008 did. And after riding the Victory where you sit low I wasn't comfortable with the high, upright seating on the Wing. Anyway, whatever you choose, all the best to you. But I think it would be worth your time to test ride the Cross country !!

I bought an '07 Strat. Beautiful bike, fairly quick for a v-twinky. I kept it a whole 2 weeks before the noisy motor and vibrations got to me. Lost some money on it but I found out that a short test ride won't always tell you what you need to know about a bike.

well i won the stratoliner on ebay, on a buy it now. it is a new 09 black cherry s model with all the chrome. i like the cross country but there was no deals out there, and i saved almost $5000 by settling on the 09 model. no difference in the 2011 as far as features go. i read some comparitive tests and none of the cruisers compared on the torque level down low. its an under square motor with a long stroke and lots of lowend. i have to drive to indy saturday to pick it up. can,t wait.

I bought an '07 Strat. Beautiful bike, fairly quick for a v-twinky. I kept it a whole 2 weeks before the noisy motor and vibrations got to me. Lost some money on it but I found out that a short test ride won't always tell you what you need to know about a bike.
i'm kind of used to the v-twin vibes. i had four sportsters a warrior and now have a vstar 1300 and a nomad 1600. as far as engine noise goes i'm as deaf as a door knob.