IGNORED

Dunlop E3 Tire Pressure

I tend to run 40 in front and 41 in the rear tire and get lots of miles from my tires.

Depending on your weight, your cargo and so forth, the pressures should differ a bit.. Don't forget that the manufacturer's suggest tire pressure is for a "typical rider" of 160 lbs.. and for me and I'm sure a lot of others out there, that was ages ago.. cough cough..

however, a while back an old savvy mechanic showed me that to get the right tire pressures, or darn close.. At midday on a nice sunny day, run the bike up the highway on a nice paved surface and after a while, pull over quickly and put your hand on the tire and on the pavement.. the tire should not be hotter than the pavement.. His whole reasoning behind that is that if your pressure is too low, the sidewalls flex more, causing friction that causes heat felt on the tire.. when the pressure is proper, the tire is still warm to the touch but not hotter than the pavement.. I thought it sounded odd at first but after going through 2 sets of tires prematurely, set at manufacturer's recommended pressure, I then tried his advice and pumped up the pressures.. and my tires have always lasted a long time.. and handling was much better..

This works for me, however, others might think it's bunk.. but I don't go through tires as much as others ;)

I tend to run 40 in front and 41 in the rear tire and get lots of miles from my tires.

Depending on your weight, your cargo and so forth, the pressures should differ a bit.. Don't forget that the manufacturer's suggest tire pressure is for a "typical rider" of 160 lbs.. and for me and I'm sure a lot of others out there, that was ages ago.. cough cough..

however, a while back an old savvy mechanic showed me that to get the right tire pressures, or darn close.. At midday on a nice sunny day, run the bike up the highway on a nice paved surface and after a while, pull over quickly and put your hand on the tire and on the pavement.. the tire should not be hotter than the pavement.. His whole reasoning behind that is that if your pressure is too low, the sidewalls flex more, causing friction that causes heat felt on the tire.. when the pressure is proper, the tire is still warm to the touch but not hotter than the pavement.. I thought it sounded odd at first but after going through 2 sets of tires prematurely, set at manufacturer's recommended pressure, I then tried his advice and pumped up the pressures.. and my tires have always lasted a long time.. and handling was much better..

This works for me, however, others might think it's bunk.. but I don't go through tires as much as others ;)

Good advice! ... I'll give that a try as to me, it makes sense.

Do not exceed pressure listed on the tire.

In the E3 I run 40 in the rear and 36 in the front.

This is what I run also. I get close to 18,000 out of mine. I just replaced the rear due to a screw in the tire and it had 16,200 on it and could have went a couple more or so.

Fully loaded I'll go 41/40 (F/R), no question.

When it is just puttering around I have found that anything lower than 36 on the front doesn't 'feel right' (for me) but I like to keep it above 37 for normal use.

As for the rear and puttering around I'll do anywhere between 38 and 40 in the rear. I tend to do closer to 38 when checking it in my garage in the summer as my garage is typically 20-40 degrees cooler than outside.

Lately I have just been maintaining the 41/40 and am happy with the ride.