IGNORED

What kind antifreeze should I get ?

Be precise please. I have never bought antifreeze for a motorcycle. The book says to get Ethylene Glycol type. I have not got a clue what that is. Is it possibly just plain old car antifreeze or what ? What brand should I get for a bike. I am sure it would have to be for an aluminum engine. I would like to completely change even. I do now know the procedure,thanks to Goose and the tech library. The bike is a 2007 model and has same antifreeze. Thank you in advance.

Fuzzy

Edited by FuzzyRSTD

I use Prestone Extended Life Antifreeze, in the yellow container. It is straight and will have to be diluted with distilled water.

It is silicate, phospate, borate and nitrate free. Also says it's safe to use with aluminum engines.

Claims to protect up to 150,00 miles or 5 years.

Fuzzy,

Any good quality (Peak, Prestone) will work, just the simple green antifreeze will work. I know some folks mention the 50/50 mix, my logic on that is your paying the same money for half water. Get a gallon of the full strength and mix it with distilled water, I hate giving folks money that they dont need and or deserve. Regular antifreeze is compatable with aluminum engines as many of the cars made in the last decade have at minimum aluminum heads and some have aluminum blocks. KISS keep it stupid simple and you'll be fine :thumbsup2:

I use Prestone Extended Life Antifreeze, in the yellow container. It is straight and will have to be diluted with distilled water.

It is silicate, phospate, borate and nitrate free. Also says it's safe to use with aluminum engines.

Claims to protect up to 150,00 miles or 5 years.

Thanks, this is exactly what I did. Wall-Mart, Prestone $13.00, distilled water has a purple lid 83 cents a gallon.:cool10:

Fuzzy,

Any good quality (Peak, Prestone) will work, just the simple green antifreeze will work. I know some folks mention the 50/50 mix, my logic on that is your paying the same money for half water. Get a gallon of the full strength and mix it with distilled water, I hate giving folks money that they dont need and or deserve. Regular antifreeze is compatable with aluminum engines as many of the cars made in the last decade have at minimum aluminum heads and some have aluminum blocks. KISS keep it stupid simple and you'll be fine :thumbsup2:

Ya, me too Squidley..... Thanks ......

Fuzzy

Got the antifreeze completely changed last night. I got evrything back except the crowling and side covers and seat and chrome cover on tank. I drained each cylinder head (used a small long threaded bolt to remove the rubber and aluminum plugs, worked great). I used a 5" piece of aluminum duct tape to create a troff for two of the drain plugs (stuck it sticky side down in under the plugs) and caught all the antifreeze,including what came out of radiator and the overflow tank which I removed and rinsed out with distilled water. I poured all of it in a gallon milk jug. I then marked the jug with a permanent marker at the line of the fluid. I then measured the distance from the bottom of the jug to the line, 6". Divided that by 2 and put another line at 3". I then poured out the liquid and rinsed out the jug with the distilled water and poured the antifreeze to the second line and poured in the distilled water to the first line. Then I put the lid on and give it a good shaking mix. Then put back in the radiator and the overflow tank. Exactly held it all. I added a small amount of pure antifreeze to the overflow because It was slightly low at the beginning. I did put just a little more antifreeze than distilled water, just an extra couple oz's . I will say that my bike (2007) has 12,300 miles on it and the antifreeze looked as if it where put in a week ago. Very clean and a good color, very strong green color. So I am not planning on doing this again until 40,000 miles or 5 yrs, which ever comes first. I also thought that if you would remove these plugs very often, then you would want to replace after four or five times removing.

Maybe the climate here is not that extreme or what ever may be the cause, but the antifreeze that came out was very sticky and strong to the odor and color. I also keep my bike in a garage all the time. The garage never gets below freezing inside, and stays pretty comfy in the summer. Glad I did this and would recommend doing it your self. However I am not a mechanic and do not claim to be. But (manual recommends) 2 yrs/16,000 miles and I believe this is to often to do this, unless you live and ride a lot in an extreme climate. Thanks to Goose and Freebird and the other feller whom I can't remember right now "Pheonix" (made the troff out of tape and bottle idea) for all the good Tech info. Glad I am a member to such a wonderful site.....

Edited by FuzzyRSTD