IGNORED

'06' RSV Won't Run

Tried to fire up the Venture last night and it will not start. Checked exhaust headers when she did start for a brief period and the back L&R were hot. Front L&R were cold.

She would repeatedly fire and lug on the rear two cylinders for approx. 15 to 30 seconds and die. What should I check and how?

Gas is turned on. and yes, I have done that before as well. Nothing like driving down the street and have your bike die only to realize you forgot to turn on the gas. I seem to recall hearing the clicking sound of the fuel pump in the past but do not hear anything when turning the key to on position.

Gas is turned on. and yes, I have done that before as well. Nothing like driving down the street and have your bike die only to realize you forgot to turn on the gas. I seem to recall hearing the clicking sound of the fuel pump in the past but do not hear anything when turning the key to on position.

That was my next question. Is the fuel pump working? Try draining the carbs,then turn on the key to to check if the pump comes on.You may also have some crud in the carbs,this may help clean them out.

1st thing I would insure is that you have spark on all the wires. Next would be to insure that all the carbs are getting fuel. Drain all the carbs and then refill them to insure that you dont have float stuck closed and that the fuel pump is operating. Other than that we would need a bit more info to troubleshoot deeper.

You really did not tell us much. How long has the bike been sitting? Did you use the choke when starting? How did it act with choke on vs choke off?

The few symptoms you gave us are classic plugged pilot jets.

Start it up and spray a little starter fluid or carb cleaner (just a quick spritz) in the vacuum ports for the front cylinders - if the engine briefly picks up, you know the problem is with the carbs.

Goose

Only two possibilities - either your carburetors were not full, or the pilot jets are gummed up. Open the bowl drains to verify they have gas - might as well let them all drain to flush any contaminates that might be in there. Then close the drains and turn the key on - wait for the clicking to stop, then cycle the key off and on again. Keep doing this until no more clicks when you turn the key on - then your carbs will all be full. Should take about three cycles.

Now start it. If the symptoms are the same, your pilot jets are the problem. Possible to fix this with something like Seafoam, but much better choice is to pull the carbs and clean the jets properly with carb cleaner and compressed air (NEVER stick ANYTHING in a carb jet).

The problem with trying to clean them by just adding cleaner to the gas is that jets can ONLY be cleaned while the gas is running through them. Since they do not sit submerged in the fuel, if even one of them is completely blocked, it will never get clean.

Goose

As I said earlier, I did not hear any clicking from the fuel pump when I turned the key on. In fact, I have noticed the last several times I started the bike i did not hear the clicking from the fuel pump. Does this mean the carbs are full and not calling for fuel or is the fuel pump not working? Probably a stupid question but can the bike run if the fuel pump is not working? I do use SEA Foam about once a month in the tank, 1 ounce approx. per gallon of gas.

Bob,

It's not uncommon for the fuel pumps to crap out on any year RSV. The fuel pump is under the left side battery cover, remove the cover and tap on it to see if you hear the clicking. If you dont there is a good possibility that the fuel pump is shot. Make sure that you drain the carb bowls so you can be sure that it will call for the fuel pump to pressurize the carbs.

As I said earlier, I did not hear any clicking from the fuel pump when I turned the key on. In fact, I have noticed the last several times I started the bike i did not hear the clicking from the fuel pump. Does this mean the carbs are full and not calling for fuel or is the fuel pump not working? Probably a stupid question but can the bike run if the fuel pump is not working? I do use SEA Foam about once a month in the tank, 1 ounce approx. per gallon of gas.

Could be either, but after you drain the carbs, you will know for certain it should be clicking.

In normal use, it will only click when you turn the key on if it has been sitting for several days. This is because the carbs will be full when you shut it off, and they will not need more gas until quite a bit has evaporated.

If you use Seafoam that regularly (and you are using the correct amount), I'd bet on either your pump or the fuel filter. If it was the filter, you would still be hearing the clicking. The bike will run fine on simple gravity feed as long as you have at least a couple of gallons of gas in there. Just run a straight line from the petcock to the fuel inlet at the right rear carb near the frame.

Goose

Got a day off yesterday so started tearing the RSV down to determine cause of problem. Checked spark on all four cylinders and it is good. Went ahead and installed new plugs while I had the tank off. Would certainly hate to foul a front plug while on a road trip. Makes no sense that you have to pull the gas tank to change both front plugs. That would look cute along side of road somewhere. Anyway, determined it is a bad fuel pump. Pulled line and hit the starter button. Holding the pump I feel a slight jump then nothing. does not pump out anything. Now my next question. Seems to be very few Royal Star Venture fuel pumps out there. Are their other models that use the same fuel pump? I see several on ebay for V1100 which appear to be the same by looks. Also wrestled out the in line fuel filter and replaced with new. Not to be put back in original location either. Would like to meet the design engineer who placed the filter in that location. Probably the same person that designed in pulling the tank to change front plugs.

This is a great forum will a world of help and knowledge. Thanks a lot.

Bob,

If the bike is still under warranty then I would have Yamaha replace it. Even if your just out of warranty sometimes you get lucky and the dealer will still replace it under warranty, it's a known issue.

Called the service manager at local dealership last week when problem surfaced. Seems my warranty ran out 2weeks ago.........Just my luck.

I would still work on that, get ahold of the regional rep and tell him what happened. You have nothing to loose by stating the facts. Even if they will give you a new pump and you put it on is still a reasonable option.

:thumbsup2:

Good information. Will ask the dealer / area Rep. if they will cover under warranty. Nothing to lose in asking.

But does anyone know if the RSV fuel pump is same as on V-Star 1100 or any other model?

Thanks

Good information. Will ask the dealer / area Rep. if they will cover under warranty. Nothing to lose in asking.

But does anyone know if the RSV fuel pump is same as on V-Star 1100 or any other model?

Thanks

The pump has the same part number as first generations, so it's probably safe to assume they are same for all Ventures. Don't know about a V-Star. My favorite saying 'You never know unless you ask'....

Fuel pumps can be had at PINWALL CYCLES --I keep an extra in my trunk at all times. I think there about 30 bucks from them. they have tons of them off used bikes.

BTW you do NOT have to remove the gas tank to remove the 2 front plugs

just slide it back a bit.

Jeff

This info is from Mr. Goose

Fuel Pump - Most external low pressure/low volume fuel pumps should work - stock pump has a 3 PSI rating and costs over $200. Look for a solid state pump sold for old VWs or jeeps. Here are a couple of links for replacement pumps under $50:

Autozone 4-7 PSI

Autozone 2-3 1/2 PSI

JCW 1 1/2-4 PSI

JCW 1 1/2-3 1/2 PSI

Edited by Cougar

Presently waiting for new OEM fuel pump shipped last Thurs. out out Yammy dealership in Portland, Or. Had to pay $203 plus s/h but pinwheel wanted $145 for a pump out of a 05 Venture. $50 more for a new one vs a 6 yr. old pump that will last ????? long. I emailed back and forth with the guy at pinwheel about the cost of the 05 pump but he was not willing to move so I went with the new OEM replacement. Hope it arrives soon. Good opportunity to strip the bike down and perform maint. from one end to the other. Got a 10-12k mile trip coming up July 1st so everything will be ready.

Any part numbers on the aftermarket fuel pumps that would work on the Venture? Would not be a bad idea to carry a spare pump along with a spare coil in the trunk. Thanks