IGNORED

Classified Ads and Member Vendors

Freebird

OK folks, it has come to my attention that the area that I created in the classifieds for our member vendors may not have been a good idea.

I created that area to make it easy to find our members who also offer us some pretty nice products at good prices. I am now hearing though that it is making their products harder to find. For example, if you didn't KNOW that Rick Butler offers seat mods for motorcycles, it would be hard to find it. You would have to open Member Vendors and then click on Rick Butler to even find out what he offers our members.

So, should I get rid of that area and just move the ads back to their respective categories?

Don from my experince I have had people asking if I still offered my products, as like you say they couldn't find the ads. Once I pointed them in the right diection then they were ok.

I do think it was easier finding stuff under the various headings, 1st gen, 2nd gen parts list for example.

Just my :2cents:

Larry

On the fence with this one. I had some problems finding items but once I got used to it I go there first.

It's a good idea, as I like to go to members to make a purchase if I can. Might just need a little tweaking to make more user friendly.

My thoughts.

I like it but for some others may not

whose been crying now :crying: make them stand in the corner until they stop whining or they wont get any ice cream.

:witch_brew::stirthepot::stickpoke:

Put it to a vote and let the majority decide :think:

Don & moderators - stop baby sitting the cry babies your doing an excellent job :happy34::happy34:

Buddy

Guest scarylarry
I like it but for some others may not

whose been crying now :crying: make them stand in the corner until they stop whining or they wont get any ice cream.

Put it to a vote and let the majority decide :think:

Don & moderators - stop baby sitting the cry babies your doing an excellent job :happy34::happy34:

Buddy

Agree +1

Seems that I sell more when I bump the thread up. I don't think a lot of people go into the classifieds for some reason.

For what it is worth, I do not see that you have anything listed. Recently I have become more interested in a cable but not getting serious enough to send a message to inquire more about it...

Ok, here is another reason to vote me off the island.

I have a listing in the vendors section, but I also have my wrench listed in the regular classifieds.

Which by the way, makes a wonderful spring tune up tool !!!

Gary

Hey Don,

I sure did appreciate the fact that I had my "own section", made me feel special. The reality has been when other members boast of a kit or mod I have offered in the classifieds, and I make a comment on it, and post a link, (which I have been trying to keep from doing very often, wink, wink) I get a small spurt of interest, then for the most part, nothing at all until someone stirs the pot again. Because of the pricing I use for the VR.ORG members, and the decrease in interest of the items I have in the Classifieds, lately, I have been making kits and mods for a different set of bikes on another forum that still allows me to place listings in the general classifieds. On a personal note, the support from the VR.ORG members during the time I was on disability Ins. basically kept the lights on, and I will be forever grateful. (and that was why I "pressed" so hard for a while there) Now that I am back to work, my financial situation has completely changed, and the decrease in interest in my kits and mods has not affected me the same way. Because of ALL of the issues you are required to monitor on this site, the last thing in the world I want to do is cause you to have to change an entire area of this site. What ever you decide to do, I will be OK with it.:thumbsup2:

Thanks for all you do Don,

Earl

OK folks, it has come to my attention that the area that I created in the classifieds for our member vendors may not have been a good idea.

I created that area to make it easy to find our members who also offer us some pretty nice products at good prices. I am now hearing though that it is making their products harder to find. For example, if you didn't KNOW that Rick Butler offers seat mods for motorcycles, it would be hard to find it. You would have to open Member Vendors and then click on Rick Butler to even find out what he offers our members.

So, should I get rid of that area and just move the ads back to their respective categories?

Its difficult when I compare this to other sites I go to. Trying to promote members as if they were vendors, or paid sponsors has to be hard. If the members who were manufacturing and selling had a website, then it would be a simple transition. BUT when you depend on a post to promote the product, they "blend in". I think that there needs to be a classifieds section on the main page. I am so accustomed to most every site I go to having all choices on the forum page and you scroll through them reaching the classifieds near the bottom. I had to hunt hard to even find the classified section when I joined.

SPONSORS need a specific section, they pay for that.

MEMBERS who are selling products need to be in regular classifieds.

JUST MY $.02 Boss.

Here is flat out the best laid out site I am a member on IN MY OPINION> the site owner makes sure the companies get the promition they pay for, yet easy for those members to sell as well. Im not saying to duplicate it, but for me this is a nice easy site to navigate. The side bar make all the difference I think. http://www.bbcboards.net/zeromain

Edited by royalstar09

I'm lucky enough to have known a little about each member and what they offer. I had a Butt Butler Mod, bought a bunch from Skydoc, etc. But if you a fairly new to the site, you may not know what they have. I guess it's a catch-22. I would like to go to the classifieds and see what's available rather than the names

Ok, here is another reason to vote me off the island.

I have a listing in the vendors section, but I also have my wrench listed in the regular classifieds.

Which by the way, makes a wonderful spring tune up tool !!!

Gary

That actually may be the best solution. I actually don't have a problem if you guys want to post them in more than one area. Some of you did that anyway because you have products that were suitable for the First Gen area, Second Gen area, Royal Star, All bikes, etc.

Maybe I'll just leave it up to the member vendor. If they would rather post their ads in the regular section, they can do so.

Here is flat out the best laid out site I am a member on IN MY OPINION> the site owner makes sure the companies get the promition they pay for, yet easy for those members to sell as well. Im not saying to duplicate it, but for me this is a nice easy site to navigate. The side bar make all the difference I think. http://www.bbcboards.net/zeromain

I've been a member on that site for a lot of years and it is very well designed. I haven't been there much for the past year or so since I pretty much quit fishing and am now putting everything in the bike.

I've been a member on that site for a lot of years and it is very well designed. I haven't been there much for the past year or so since I pretty much quit fishing and am now putting everything in the bike.

Did you have an elmo as a picture by your user name? Rayz_379 here. Yes it is a great site just like this.

I think at the very least the classifieds section needs to be on the forum page. I have seen more then one, including myself have to as about the classifieds. They are hid on the top bar.

I agree that it is difficult to find something in the member vendor section unless you know who is selling and where to look. For that matter, I'd have to to some hunting and clicking to find my own ads.

Organizationally I think it'd be better if it was organized by make -> model -> year -> part type than by vendor.

I think part of the problem is you're trying to use the classified ad software to support what is in actuality a marketplace.

I use Zen Cart for my stores. My hosting provider offers it and several similar applications as part of the hosting package. Organizationally it would work better than your classified software. A draw back is it doesn't support payments to multiple vendors in the stock configuration. It does have a showcase mode where you can't actually purchase anything, just see the items. The item descriptions could include a link to make the actual purchase... Another problem is someone would have to administer it or we'd have to let all the vendors administrate and trust them not to mess up each others' stuff.

I'd be willing to administrate it, but couldn't work on it until after the season here is over (November or so). I could also host it, but it wouldn't have a Venturerider.org domain name.