IGNORED

New to the forum, thinking of buying a venture royale

Hello. New to the forum. I've been looking at several 80's touring bikes to purchase. I went and looked at a 1989 Yamaha Venture Royale yesterday, was wondering if there is anything I should be looking for or maybe staying away from. The bike I looked at has been sitting since August (small mom and pop dealer). When first started it was poping/backfiring on the right side exhaust. When warmed up it went away (I think it could be attributed to bad gas). It looks like the air suspension system is partially disabled, the compressor and valve unit assembly was in the rear trunk. Bike has 66000 miles on it. Radio works. Engine looks dry and doesn't smoke. It also has a utopia backrest upholstered to match the seat. I was wondering how parts availability is? Like, if I need to put a top end on it in the future can I still get piston rings and gasket set? They want $2499 for the bike and it looks complete. Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome.

Most mechanical parts are pretty easy to come by. A lot of the plastic is only available used and can get into a lot of money. The engine/transmission is pretty durable so you're unlikely to ever get into anything major there.

It's possible that what is in the trunk is spare parts. The suspension system only operates with the key in the "ACC" position. If you haven't tried that you might check to see.

Depending on how it was stored your backfiring may mean that the carbs need to be gone through.

$2500 is probably a reasonable price if the suspension air works and the motorcycle appearance is fair. If the suspension really doesn't work you could be getting into a can of worms.

Good luck!

Hey D,

Welcome to VR.ORG! I believe you will find this site to be very friendly, with loads of info on the motorcycle you are asking about.

This vintage of motorcycle pretty much requires you to be somewhat mechanically inclined, or have deep pockets, (to have repairs done at a dealer!) The engine symptoms you described are somewhat typical of a VR that has been sitting around for a while. Usually, "tune up" type items, will cure these issues. With the mileage you stated, there is a very good possibility that the Carb. Diaphragms have "gone south" on you, but this is an easy fix, requiring about $100.00 worth of new Diaphragms.

The Air Ride Suspension issue is a two part issue, The electronic controller has a set of problems that are usually repairable, and the actual air compressor itself, is easily checked to see if it is functioning. Used units are the cheapest way to go if you need to replace either the controller or the compressor. You will be able to save a ton of money if you have decent electro-mechanical trouble shooting skills, and have the patience to check out the items with issues on your bike. If you will be heading to a dealer or repair shop every time something crops up, this bike might be a bit of a "money pit". BUT if you are good with a wrench, this is one of the coolest bikes on the planet!

The price of $2495.00 is HIGH in my opinion. Look at the front fairing area around the mirrors, and around the area where your knees would be if you were sitting on the bike for cracks in the fairing plastic. You didn't mention the condition of the tires, but a front or rear tire could be a $150.00 each purchase with mounting. With minimal plastic damage, on the upper fairing area, this bike is worth, between $1500.00 to $2000.00. BUT you have picked a bad time of the year to purchase a motorcycle, as spring is right around the corner. So this dealer has somewhat of an advantage on you in this respect.

If the plastic and tires are good, with the items/issues you have described, you will be adding another $300.00 to the cost of this bike for tune up items, Carb. Diaphragms, Carb. Sync., Air and fuel filters, and an oil change. I would offer $1800.00 and try to settle in the $2000.00 to $2200.00 range, remembering that you will be wrenching on this bike right off the bat to the tune of an additional $300.00.

I too live in Pennsylvania, and would be happy to help you all I can, if you decide to purchase this motorcycle. We here at VR.ORG have a strong member base in the PA, NY, NJ, MD, area, so you will have lots of help if you decide to spend the $12.00 for membership. If you have questions about what I have listed, please feel free to PM me, and again, welcome to VR.ORG!

Earl

I got mine for $1500.00 and have been lucky. Because, all I needed was tires, bleed the clutch and run some "seafoam" thru her then new plugs. Mine has no CB, or Air unit. A near perfect, all the bells and whistles. goes for 2500 or so. You should try and ge em down some. Also I am in Delco, PA, and plan on going to see Skydoc sometime this spring. I say it every year and have not been able to go, so far. I just want him to give it the once over cause hes one of the gurus in the club and can see stuff I wont. If you want to take a ride out with me let me know. I'm thinking in May. Oh yeah. Singup. The site is a must if you buy the bike. And they are a nice bunch of guys and gals.:cool10:

For an '89 the price is reasonable but if part of your air suspension is setting inside your trunk as you state, then that should lower the price, but not be a deal breaker. All the CLASS (Computer Leveling Air Suspension System) does is to give you an onboard compressor system which is mounted UNDER the trunk on top of the rear fender which automatically enables you to add or remove air from the front and rear shocks while the bike is NOT running and the key is in the AC position. You can not adjust on the fly. The compressors themselves need periodic attention, the air lines can dry rot, and as mentioned the electronic controller can develop issues, but the main and common one is the solder joints on the main conector for the PC board. Earlier Ventures, non Royales, called Standards, did not have the CLASS and you had to manually adjust your air suspension with an air pump, just like what ALL 2nd generation Royal Star Venture owners have to do

The 1st generation Ventures were one of the best touring bikes ever made, and are very reliable. It is not that uncommon to get 200,000 miles out of these bikes. As with any bike, a certain amount of maintenance is required. There are really no major issues but there are some common problems that can develop. As with any old bike, they can require a monetary investment to keep them in tip top running condition. They are a lot less expensive than new bike payments for sure!

Welcome to the Venturerider family, and there is a lot of technical help here as well as a LOT of friendship to be shared! As long as the bike is running now and wil pass inspection I would not be afraid to purchase it, and feel free to call on us for help!

Hey DZ, welcome to the site. You are showing wise judgment already in looking at the great Yamaha Venture. I got my 89 about a year and a half ago, bought it through ebay. Paid $2000.00 for it. I was a little reluctant at first, this was my first big bike. I had a 750 Virago previously and wanted something bigger for 2 up riding. Looked at mid 80's Goldwings for a long time, but when I finally test rode one it was not for me. Did not feel comfortable to sit on and my big stupid foot could hardly hit the gear shift with the pancake engine.

Came across the Yamaha Ventures, knew nothing about them. Found one to sit and test ride and was hooked. Since I have had mine with the help of this site, I have done the following:

New front and rear tires

Changed all fluids

Changed spark plugs

Changed air cleaner

Replaced crappy old fuse panel

Changed front master cylinder (site glass started leaking)

Inspected or replace brake pads

I can turn a wrench or two, but no means am I a mechanic - but I listen and read and read and read all I can using this forum.

I did pick up a factory manual for the bike, but honestly all the help and confidence has come from this forum.

Hope you can make a deal on the Venture, they run incredible when running right.

Thank you for the warm welcome.

MiCarl,

I knew nothing about the bike before I looked at it, it was a shot in the dark. Now when I go back saturday I will try that with the key.

Skydoc,

I've been working/riding on bikes for awhile. My occupation is a forklift technician working on electronic forklifts "Raymond", I do lots of electronic troubleshooting. I made a 1974 Yamaha RD250 two stroker reliable two years ago, acid etched and kreemed the gas tank, sand blasted the fuel petcock and re-sealed it, new intake boots, reed valves, throttle cables, etc. Was a fun bike but had to move on. I currently ride a 2005 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100 v-twin but I'm looking to get rid of it to move up to a touring bike (4 bad discs in my back, carpal tunnel surgery that didn't work on both wrists, bad disc in my neck so my days of being cramped up on a cruiser are over. I'm 6'4" 375lbs. I even put forward controls on my bike to try and eliviate the cramped feeling. I can only ride the bike about 40 miles before I have to find a spot to pull over and jump off the bike because of butt/back pain. Same thing for when the wife rides on the back. I even tried a mustang seat.

SC89Venture,

I know you're feeling about big feet and the goldwing. I have a size 14/15 and I can't keep my whole foot on the pegs at any one time, not to mention the heat coming off of the cylinder there . Shifting is a little difficult and when I took my foot off to stop it would hit the engine guard or cylinder head. It's tough to find a bike when you're big.

I guess when it comes down to it I really didn't want to wrench on a bike during the riding season I'd rather be riding. I don't mind doing things so long as the bike is going to keep running after the fixing is done, just making sure it isn't a problematic bike. Thanks for all the advice.

Oh, the dealer also said they were going to put in new plugs and change the oil and such and put it through inspection to make sure it's 100% ready to ride. They seemed very honest and I feel as though I wouldn't have any problem making a deal with them.

Also, is there a way to turn on topic reply notification emails?

Go to user CP and select edit options (I think) and you want to enable your subscribed messages, or something like that.

A lot of us don't bother with that because we are totally addicted and are on the site at least once a day if not several times...

.... (4 bad discs in my back, carpal tunnel surgery that didn't work on both wrists, bad disc in my neck so my days of being cramped up on a cruiser are over. I'm 6'4" 375lbs. I even put forward controls on my bike to try and eliviate the cramped feeling. I can only ride the bike about 40 miles before I have to find a spot to pull over and jump off the bike because of butt/back pain. Same thing for when the wife rides on the back.

A couple thoughts for you:

1 - You could very well find the foot position cramped. I'm 6'0 with a 32 inseam and it's pretty tight. Based on your height and spine problems this could be a problem. Highway pegs require you to spread your legs around the fairing lowers which I find gets old too.

2 - The listed maximum load (passenger, cargo, accessories) is only 386 lbs. Many of us go over that, the question is how much you can get away with. You're definitely going to want a rear tire with a high load rating.

Thank you for the warm welcome.

MiCarl,

I knew nothing about the bike before I looked at it, it was a shot in the dark. Now when I go back saturday I will try that with the key.

Skydoc,

I've been working/riding on bikes for awhile. My occupation is a forklift technician working on electronic forklifts "Raymond", I do lots of electronic troubleshooting. I made a 1974 Yamaha RD250 two stroker reliable two years ago, acid etched and kreemed the gas tank, sand blasted the fuel petcock and re-sealed it, new intake boots, reed valves, throttle cables, etc. Was a fun bike but had to move on. I currently ride a 2005 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100 v-twin but I'm looking to get rid of it to move up to a touring bike (4 bad discs in my back, carpal tunnel surgery that didn't work on both wrists, bad disc in my neck so my days of being cramped up on a cruiser are over. I'm 6'4" 375lbs. I even put forward controls on my bike to try and eliviate the cramped feeling. I can only ride the bike about 40 miles before I have to find a spot to pull over and jump off the bike because of butt/back pain. Same thing for when the wife rides on the back. I even tried a mustang seat.

SC89Venture,

I know you're feeling about big feet and the goldwing. I have a size 14/15 and I can't keep my whole foot on the pegs at any one time, not to mention the heat coming off of the cylinder there . Shifting is a little difficult and when I took my foot off to stop it would hit the engine guard or cylinder head. It's tough to find a bike when you're big.

I guess when it comes down to it I really didn't want to wrench on a bike during the riding season I'd rather be riding. I don't mind doing things so long as the bike is going to keep running after the fixing is done, just making sure it isn't a problematic bike. Thanks for all the advice.

Oh, the dealer also said they were going to put in new plugs and change the oil and such and put it through inspection to make sure it's 100% ready to ride. They seemed very honest and I feel as though I wouldn't have any problem making a deal with them.

I wouldn't make a big deal out of letting dealer know that I knew how to operate air if it did work.......:whistling:

MiCarl,

I can't believe that this bike can only support 380lbs. My Honda Helix 250cc scooter can hold just about that much.

386 is what the owners and service manuals say. My last bike was a 650 Yamaha which was rated for close to 500.

I think (nobody knows SWMBO's true weight) that we probably exceed 500 when we're two up with the required minimum female essentials in the luggage. I'm also quite confident that a previous owner had upgraded the rear spring - there is a Progressive Suspension sticker on the hitch and ours stands about 1" taller than a stock Venture.

We ride with a couple that is probably 100 lbs. heavier than us. They had trouble with their 83 bottoming out until they put a Progressive spring on it.

I'm mostly concerned about your length. When you go look again pay attention to how your legs are bent and make sure you'll be comfortable for long rides. If it doesn't have highway pegs you can rest your ankles on the case guards to get a feel for how you'd be spread if you add them later.

Dan's right, no need to educate the dealer about the air suspension. When you look at it again turn the key to ACC and fiddle with the CB. The suspension control module is just ahead of it. When you first switch to ACC the display on the control module should light all its elements. Then it should just display the word AUTO and 0 psi. If it does that the stuff in the trunk is probably spares. If it shows E1 or E4 it is probably noticing that the compressor is in the trunk. If it shows E5 the control module has a fault.

MiCarl,

I plan on going saturday morning to look at the bike after the dealer gets done going thru it. Thank you for the info on the air suspension. I will definitely try that when I go back. To be honest about my length my buddy is just about 6' even and my legs are actually shorter than his which gives me a little advantage I guess. The bike does have some highway pegs bolted onto the engine guards and it looks like they can be slid forwards more to allow for even more room. I hate the fact picking a bike can't be easy, most people can just hop on a bike and go. And I don't know why motorcycle manufactures keep designing bikes for tiny people, making the posture and drivers space super cramped for even average sized people. Most of the 70's and 80's bikes seem to have plenty of room, more so than newer bikes anyway. How many miles do you have on your bike?

MiCarl,

... How many miles do you have on your bike?

About 84K. Barely broke in. I did a compression test on it a this winter when I was setting the valve lash. All four cylinders the same and right at spec (which I think is 172psi).

Well, that venture was a bust. Air ride computer completely disconnected, even the wire harness is missing. Fuel pump is making an atrocious noise without the bike running. Supposedly the rear brake is still not fully releasing. Seems to be missing with the choke on. Looks like somebody spray painted the engine even the spark plug boots are sprayed silver. Its a shame, I really like the way the bike feels and fits me comfortably.

A miss with the choke on could just be needing a tune up. The CLASS being bad could get into some time and a bit of money, but I do not know if I would walk away just yet. I may explain to the dealer that it will take a bit of money and work to get the CLASS going again and talk him down on the price a bit. There are a tone of boneheads parting out Ventures and selling the parts on EBAY. Shaun

Yes, there will be others!! As a matter of fact I will most likely be selling my '84 this summer but it has had a LOT of work done to it and a lot of new parts and it only has 18,000 original miles on it. I'll probably be asking 3,500 for it.

Old bikes require a lot of attention and blood, sweat, and tears to keep in top shape, no matter what make or model. The Venture Royale was IMHO one of the finest touring bikes ever made and I am hesitant to sell it but I need the room, and I have a second one, an '85 that needs a complete frame up restoration, and after that one is done I plan on selling it as well, but that ain't gona happen for a few years yet!

Where in Bucks county are you? I lived in Philly in the early 70's with my first wife...

BrileyR,

Thanks for the links. The first purple one is the one I have been talking about, actually why I started this thread.

I have contacted the second guy and that post is more of a hustle. I was going to go look at it until he told me it didn't run. Why thats not on his craigslist post I am not sure?????

I am still thinking hard about the first one. It drives really nice just has some issues. He won't budge off of the $2500 price point.

Some things to think about.

Most dealers refuse to work on bikes older than 10 years old. You may have to pay a premium for any work on the bike.

I really would not buy a classic bike if you cant work on it yourself or will not have the time to. You can easily spend thousands to a motorcycle mechanic while they hunt a problem down.

That said, the 80's and 90's venture has no replacement right now. I dont like a goldwing as it looks like 1/2 a honda civic and cost as much as a luxury level Honda Accord. The only other choice is a sport-touring bike and those are tiny compared to the Venture... I was looking at a FJR1300 and I will never be able to get my wife on the back of that tiny thing.

Older bikes need TLC and someone that is wiling to take it apart and fix it themselves, or someone that is ready to drop $2000 here and there on a repair. I'm looking at dropping a large amount of cash to fix the infamous 2nd gear problem that is in every 83-85 Venture. Way more than the bike is worth. But it's cheaper than the new bike payments for a year + full coverage insurance.

Last thing, if you want to add "farkles" or add on's you will have to find used ones or manufacture your own. they just dont exist anymore. No more chrome fender tips, no more drivers floorboards, and places like Kyrukyn will not help in telling you what fits your bike.

Dont get me wrong, I LOVE my bike. But if I knew then what I know now what I was getting into I would have looked for a newer bike or one that was better taken care of. spend a little more on something that is in better shape and newer. You are at least looking at a year that has no major problems.

Also be warned, used bike prices are insane right now. Lots of people think their bikes are worth gold. Make sure you research the bike carefully and look it over carefully. Bring a friend that is a bike expert or ask to have it taken to a mechanic if you are unsure.

Tim is giving good advice.

The financials are much better if you pay a premium price for one that has either been well maintained or where somebody already shelled out the $$ to fix it. Even if you do the work yourself you'd be lucky to break even.

In other words, $3500 for one in tip top shape is probably a better deal than $2500 for one that needs work.