Help-valve shim tool

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK I did figure out how to break a tool.

I did this on purpose, it is not indicating a flaw.

What I did was ti set the tool into position and start turning the cam.

Once you get to the point where the buckets are fully compressed the center of the tool will also touch a rib in the head casting. It looks to me that that rib is there just for this purpose. IF you continue to turn the cam past this point, all of the force goes to that narrow spot on the tool and it will snap in half. If the tool did not break at this point and under these conditions, "something" else in the cam train would have to break. Either the chain or one of the sprockets. All of the engine parts that could break cost a LOT more than the tool to replace.

So it kind of works out that the tool is the weak sacrificial link to save the engine parts.

I could also see this happening if the tool was not centered properly. But I don't want to break another tool to find out.:mo money:

• 1 year later...

In a moment of insanity I have once again redesigned the Valve shim to to make it easier for me to manufacture.

I have not yet decided if I want to invest in the tooling to make another run of these tools.

I guess I have been decided......http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=84823

Edited by Flyinfool

• 1 year later...

I emailed the two versions of the tool I created to you.

They are in an IGES format, this is a common neutral format that most 3D CAD systems can import.

They were created in Solid Edge ST.

Gary

if you still have them. would like to get a copy.

Was looking for the cad files. Don't know if He can use on bobcat cnc. Was wanting all measurements on improved tool or program for cnc. I bought a tool but he is under contract for 2 months. Then he can build a program from scratch. If its plug and play can make some real quick. THANK YOU Freebird and Flyingfool

A big thank you to @dingy. You have been very helpful every time I've asked you something. Very upstanding person.

Well sent it to kid he told me I was better off buying them. Would have to make a hundred of them to brake even. That being said think he don't want to do it.

Edited by rbig1