IGNORED

A different coolant leak

I have read all the posts about the plugs behind the fins. I pulled the fins to check the plugs and found none of them to be leaking. The drip just started as the cold weather set in, It drips just behind the kickstand pivot. The puddle is the size of a silver dollar after 24 hours. This on an '01 RSV 40K on the odo.

So if it's not the cylinder plugs what else might it be? I see no seepage around the head gaskets or anywhere on top of the motor. Inspection with a mirror and flashlight of the underside of the motor shows it dripping off the shift rod, but I can't tell where it's coming from.

The reserve tank is at the proper level. No overheating problems. My last few rides have been in temps of 25 to 40 degrees.

I need to get this fixed before Thursday, as a pgr member we provide the parking guides for the veterans day service at Great Lakes National Cemetery.

That leak could be traveling from any number of sources. Under the gas tank, buried within the triangulated area behind the neck is a thermostat/sensor box with heater hoses coming out from each end. You would need to pull the tank off and possibly the airbox under the tank to get a good look/see at it. Since its appearing on the shift pivot while its on the centerstand this area could be the culprit. It could be following a path and dropping on the pivot. If it is leaking from that area I would suggest that you remove the whole box and replace the hoses and o-rings that go in each port along with the thermostat and sensor while your in there. Its not an easy job though and it takes a ton of patience. The radiator needs to be removed for easier access too. Since the bike is now 9 years old im sure those hoses are getting a bit brittle too. I bought a length of the same diameter hose from the auto parts store for about 2 bucks and cut to length the straight pieces rather then spend about 30 bucks for the Yammy parts. Make sure you drain the old fluid out first. Mine was leaking from the rearmost o-ring on the box and what a PIA to access it and remove it. It comes out with a certain amount of twisting/finessing, almost like playing with a rubiks cube. Same going back in.

Or it may just be a loose hose connection. There are plenty of those under the tank too.

I wouldn't be too quick to rule out the leak being from the plug. Mine only leaked from the little plug behind the fin when it got cold (below 40). And it took many tries before I actually found conclusive evidence that it was coming from there. I too had a puddle that showed up in spirts around the side stand. For what it is worth I also have an 01. I noticed my coolant leak (from the little plugs behind the fins) around 27/Jan/2010 with ~ 38k miles. I used the dime trick to see if I could verify the source of the leak - and that seemed to stop the leakage for a few months. Early May and a few thousand miles later I did a coolant change/flush and replaced all 4 rubber plugs at the same time. All 4 of had severe cracking and what looked like dry-rot more than anything.

As ruffy suggested, looking around for loose or split coolant hoses is certainly a good place to start. Pop the tank off and the few that are there are easy to see and easy to get to.

I sure hope it is something simple for you.

:080402gudl_prv:

Guest PlaneCrazy

If you have access to a Black Light, you might be able to find the source of the leak that way.

Give the engine a really good wash and then let it dry. Then in a darkened garage, shine the black light around the engine and the coolant leak should stand right out. If it won't leak for you statically, then fire the bike up and watch the engine with the black light on it.

I use this technique a lot at work to find pin hole leaks in oil and hydraulic lines.

After reading your posting, I am almost certain the leak is under your gas tank on the right hand side near the forward end of your gas tank. There is a hose clamp there and it is known to leak..

Hopefully these 3 pictures will help you find the location and show you what to look for.

Give me a call if I can be of any help...phone number is in my profile.

I wouldn't be too quick to rule out the leak being from the plug. Mine only leaked from the little plug behind the fin when it got cold (below 40). And it took many tries before I actually found conclusive evidence that it was coming from there. I too had a puddle that showed up in spirts around the side stand. For what it is worth I also have an 01. I noticed my coolant leak (from the little plugs behind the fins) around 27/Jan/2010 with ~ 38k miles. I used the dime trick to see if I could verify the source of the leak - and that seemed to stop the leakage for a few months. Early May and a few thousand miles later I did a coolant change/flush and replaced all 4 rubber plugs at the same time. All 4 of had severe cracking and what looked like dry-rot more than anything.

As ruffy suggested, looking around for loose or split coolant hoses is certainly a good place to start. Pop the tank off and the few that are there are easy to see and easy to get to.

I sure hope it is something simple for you.

[/font

:080402gudl_prv:

I'll pop the tank off for a look around. I could not see any tracking coming from up there, you think you'd see some signs.

If you have access to a Black Light, you might be able to find the source of the leak that way.

Give the engine a really good wash and then let it dry. Then in a darkened garage, shine the black light around the engine and the coolant leak should stand right out. If it won't leak for you statically, then fire the bike up and watch the engine with the black light on it.

I use this technique a lot at work to find pin hole leaks in oil and hydraulic lines.

Will the blacklight show the coolant without adding a dye to the system?

After reading your posting, I am almost certain the leak is under your gas tank on the right hand side near the forward end of your gas tank. There is a hose clamp there and it is known to leak..

Hopefully these 3 pictures will help you find the location and show you what to look for.

Give me a call if I can be of any help...phone number is in my profile.

Thanks for the offer, If need be I will call. How could the leak be up that high but not show any signs of a coolant stream that are visible ?

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I'll report back with my findings.

Guest PlaneCrazy

Will the blacklight show the coolant without adding a dye to the system?

I'm not 100% sure. I'm so used to the oils we use on aircraft already having a florescent dye in them. But you can buy a little bottle of radiator dye for only about $3-$5 at a lot of automotive parts and tools companies.

It's an option if the leak is one of those ones that is very hard to pinpoint.

I'm not 100% sure. I'm so used to the oils we use on aircraft already having a florescent dye in them. But you can buy a little bottle of radiator dye for only about $3-$5 at a lot of automotive parts and tools companies.

It's an option if the leak is one of those ones that is very hard to pinpoint.

That's what I figured. I have a bottle of dye in the garage, I'll put some in.

Thanks

That leak could be traveling from any number of sources. Under the gas tank, buried within the triangulated area behind the neck is a thermostat/sensor box with heater hoses coming out from each end. You would need to pull the tank off and possibly the airbox under the tank to get a good look/see at it. Since its appearing on the shift pivot while its on the centerstand this area could be the culprit. It could be following a path and dropping on the pivot. If it is leaking from that area I would suggest that you remove the whole box and replace the hoses and o-rings that go in each port along with the thermostat and sensor while your in there. Its not an easy job though and it takes a ton of patience. The radiator needs to be removed for easier access too. Since the bike is now 9 years old im sure those hoses are getting a bit brittle too. I bought a length of the same diameter hose from the auto parts store for about 2 bucks and cut to length the straight pieces rather then spend about 30 bucks for the Yammy parts. Make sure you drain the old fluid out first. Mine was leaking from the rearmost o-ring on the box and what a PIA to access it and remove it. It comes out with a certain amount of twisting/finessing, almost like playing with a rubiks cube. Same going back in.

Or it may just be a loose hose connection. There are plenty of those under the tank too.

After close inspection of everything you have talked about, I can say without a doubt, it's not coming from any of the hose connections or o-rings, up there or where the hoses meet the head, or water pump. :confused24: No signs of leakage around the head gaskets either.

I guess my next step is to pressure test the system. Not sure what it will acomplish since I can see no visible sign of a leak.

After close inspection of everything you have talked about, I can say without a doubt, it's not coming from any of the hose connections or o-rings, up there or where the hoses meet the head, or water pump. :confused24: No signs of leakage around the head gaskets either.

I guess my next step is to pressure test the system. Not sure what it will acomplish since I can see no visible sign of a leak.

Before you pressure test it try this. Take the left side fins off and look at the plugs again. Also see physically if the plugs are loose by grabbing them and see if you can wiggle them. Now, to see if you can make that annoying leak disappear, take a penny and tape or glue it (lightly) to the inside of the fin to match it over the rubber plug. When you reinstall the fin it should hold the plug tighter and prevent a leak from a bad plug. If after another ride or 2, the leak has disappeared then you know if was the plug.

This happened to me suddenly last year and the penny gave me some time to order some new plugs ($4.95 ea) Of course the penny can stay forever. IF the leak is not resolved, then you need to look at the "O" rings etc. but am betting on the L rear fin plug the same one I had problesm with on my 99.

Just my :2cents:

Before you pressure test it try this. Take the left side fins off and look at the plugs again. Also see physically if the plugs are loose by grabbing them and see if you can wiggle them. Now, to see if you can make that annoying leak disappear, take a penny and tape or glue it (lightly) to the inside of the fin to match it over the rubber plug. When you reinstall the fin it should hold the plug tighter and prevent a leak from a bad plug. If after another ride or 2, the leak has disappeared then you know if was the plug.

This happened to me suddenly last year and the penny gave me some time to order some new plugs ($4.95 ea) Of course the penny can stay forever. IF the leak is not resolved, then you need to look at the "O" rings etc. but am betting on the L rear fin plug the same one I had problesm with on my 99.

Just my :2cents:

I have the fins off both sides, front and rear there is no tracking that a coolant leak would leave. I did a close inspection of everywhere there's an o-ring, no signs at all of a leak. This really has me scratchin my head

I had a leak. It was toward the front on the right side. Now.. I am an avid..Let the dealer fix it under warranty kind of guy..Why should I do there job for them for free.. I saw where the leak was coming from. Under the finned engine covers on the right side in the front. I had it hauled to the dealer. They pulled the fake fins off and determined it was the rubber plug behind it. Now, they left the cover off, overnight, while waiting for a new plug to come in. When they came to work the next morning, the floor under the bike was covered in coolant. The mechanic told me this, so I questioned him about it. He said the plugs just push in with your fingers...no tools needed,, But he didn't know that, so it was a learning experience for him. So, if you take the fake fins off, and let it sit overnight, your chances of a big leak are great. I had to wait a week for q $9.00 part, but I didn't have to put up with the bull of having to figure it out on my own. After my warranty runs out, I will know what to expect and won't get any surprises. My advice to all is...If it's under warranty, have the dealer fix it. If you fix it and something goes wrong..They may hold you liable, and your out a chunk of change....

as JamesB stated, it is probably the plugs behind the fins. they don't always leave a trail. don't ask how I know this. put the penny there for each one and order 5 replacements. the 5th one is for one of the first four that you will loose. then it will be a spare when you find it 3 months from now.

Well, after doing everything I could to locate the source of the leak, with no luck, I shimmed all 4 plugs and put it all back together. I'll go for a put later today then see what I have in the morning. I'll be surprised if it helps. Other than that, the only thing I changed was to snug up all the clamps.

There is a mixing chamber up on top of the engine down inside the "V" and under the carbs. I remember a few members mentioning that the gasket under the cover could leak. Don't ask me what that chamber is for but I know that water and maybe oil runs through there. Someone else will probably chime in if it rings a bell. Brian

There is a mixing chamber up on top of the engine down inside the "V" and under the carbs. I remember a few members mentioning that the gasket under the cover could leak. Don't ask me what that chamber is for but I know that water and maybe oil runs through there. Someone else will probably chime in if it rings a bell. Brian

Yeah, I looked at that too. The shop manual calls it the "Crankcase Breather Cover" No leak there.