IGNORED

Tab Broke on Lower

So I was washing the bike and I noticed that one of the tabs that holds on the left lower is broken. It is number 7 in the pic below. This is actually not a bad one to break because the lower still seems to be attached fairly well.

My question is this something the dealer will replace under warranty? And is it worth the inevitable argument with the service manager?

David

You may or may not be succesful getting a dealer to help with this. However, a quick trip to the hardware store to get some ABS glue will get you back going for just a few dollars and no hassle. It generally will be found in the plumbing section (next to the PVC glue).

The lowers are easy to remove. Clean the joint and glue back on. Let it dry overnight. Reinstall and ride, ride, ride.

I have about 5000 miles on my repair and it is as solid as if it were new.

RR

I took my right one off to bleed the rear brake today. (Easier to get to the reservoir) It doesn't surprise me that they break. I think they are molded with a warp in them. Nothing lines up as it should and you have to force it into line to get the screws back in. I finally figured out that you have to get that outer tab lined up and that screw started first. I tried to line it up last each time and kept pushing the rubber Wellnut out of the tab.

If the dealer will replace the part under warranty - that is good. However, you will have to wait for a couple of days or longer for the part to be shipped and then pick it up and then install, etc. The suggestion to use ABS glue sounds like a fast easy fix overnight and you will be back riding soon. As far as ABS glue is concerner, I may check the plumbing section and see what type of applicators they have. To have the glue on hand may come in handy someday.

As for the tab on the drawing by # 7, I did not break the tabs but I previously had problems with the rubber wellnut spinning as I try to bolt the lower cowling. I ended up ordering wellnuts and reinstalled the lower cowling. Also as mentioned earlier, putting that nut on the lower cowling can be a pain...it takes a few trials and errors....I think the last time I re-installed my lowers it took me 30 minutes trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. :innocent:

David,

This is a known issue with Yamaha and covered under warentee.

I've had it replaced on my 07 RSV and my 05 RSTD.

I've tried ABS adhesive as well.

It worked ok, but eventually gave out at the weld from taking the cowling on/off.

I'd have the dealer order the replacement, and ABS weld/glue the old one as a backup.

Hope this helps.

Bob