IGNORED

Front Brake Light Switch help ....

I have determined by testing and using a jumper wire that my 83 VR has a bad wire from the switch to the first junction behind the headlight.

Running a second wire is no big deal but wanting to do a good job of it, how do you get the switch out of the casting for the master cylinder/lever.

I have taken the "bracket" loose and everything is good to pull the little section of old wires out but it appears that the wires do not unplug from the switch and I need to get the swith out to have a better look (switch shows as part number four on the parts breakdown and is part number 26H-83980-00-00 - sells for about $35.00)

Any help?

Steve Neal

There is a hole in the master cylinder casting below where the switch lies, you will see a black tab on the switch. Press in gently while pulling on the switch and it should come out.

Go easy as this tab can break.

I had to tap and install a screw to hold my switch in place after tab broke.

Here is a link to cleaning the switch.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=43024

Gary

• 8 months later...

hi from sunny England can someone give me the part number please for front brake light switch have had the wrong one twice two wire mine has 4 wire 1983 v/r vin JYA47T008DA000175 HELP PLEASE :fingers-crossed-emo

hi from sunny England can someone give me the part number please for front brake light switch have had the wrong one twice two wire mine has 4 wire 1983 v/r vin JYA47T008DA000175 HELP PLEASE :fingers-crossed-emo

If you have a 4 wire front brake switch, it is not from an 83 Venture. Someone has modified it at some point.

Reason is the purpose of the 4 wire brake switch is to give an extra circuit to cancel the cruise control. No 1983 Ventures came with factory cruise to my knowledge. At least in the US.

P/N 2WR-83980-01-00is what you need if you are hunting a 4 wire. I could not find the 4 wire listed in the 86 or 87 listing. 88 -93 had a filter in the circuit to cut down on radio noise. This is built into the switch assembly.

It is shown in the parts listing under the Handle Switch Lever page.

Gary