IGNORED

Mk II rear shock adjustment knob frozen

When Barb and I were on vacation on our 89 Royale, we were enjoying some of the roads in NW Georgia. We were on a rough one, and I wanted to increase the dampening on the rear shock. I reached down and tried to twist the knob.....it wouldn't move, it was stuck on #2. Today when I was putting the side covers on, I remembered that I couldn't adjust it and started to play with it. It started to move a little and I kept moving it back and forth and it started moving between #1 and #2 normally. However, I still can't get it to go into #3 or #4. #2 Dampening is great for normal use, but I'd like to be able to adjust it when I want it stiffer. Any ideas?

Frank

• 1 year later...

Did you ever get that sorted out Frank?

Been on two day trips two-up with Mary. For the first trip, turned the knob from one to position two. Moved easy. For the second trip tried to turn the knob to position three but it would not go that far. The knob felt "springy" and I didn't want to force it. Never been in that part of the bike and don't know what the knob hooks up with to make the adjustment.

As a matter of fact, I just did!!! There was a former member parting out his MkII and I needed a few of the parts,so I also bought the rear shock, and I finally changed it the other day..... The adjustment cable goes right into the top of the shock---when I get a chance, I may try to take the old unit apart and see exactly what happened and if it can be fixed.

It's not a real bad job to remove the rear shock, but it does take 2 people to get the top bolt out---one to reach in from the left side with a socket and a long extemsion to hold the bolt, and a 2nd to loosen and remove the nut on the right side. You disconnect the air line underneath the seat, and I taped a small rope to the air line, removed the shock pulling the rope out the bottom of the bike, taped the rope to the new shock's air hose, and as you raise the shock into position, pull the rope so the hose follows the original path. To get the suspension linkage out of the way, just unbolt it from the swing arm, but before you do, put a block under the rear tire to keep it from falling down when it's released from the suspension. You don't have to remove anything except the side covers and seat to pull the rear shock. Now I have all 4 damping positions available.

Frank

So the adjustment knob hooks to a cable that goes into the shock? I guess the springiness that I feel is the cable torquing because it is binding somewhere. Did you notice if there is somewhere between the knob and the shock that may need lubing?

No, after I got the old one out, I could see that the flex we feel is just he cable twisting. Something is bound up in the shock. When I get a chance, I'll take a picture and see if it'll come apart without destroying it.

Frank

Here's the picture....I don't see anyway to get it apart, but if you take the adjustment nut off, be careful not to loose the little springs and balls!!!! If you look into the shock top opposite of where the cable hooks to, there is what looks like the bottom of a bolt that's been loctited with black Loctite. I don't see anyway to get it apart without destroying it, and then it does have that warning label...

Probably the best thing for you to do would be to find somebody parting out a Royale.

Frank

I expect you are right about replacing it instead of fixing it. Trouble is replacing my old shock with a new old shock would seem to have a rather tenuous chance of success. In you pic it looks like the cable sheath has a bulge in the middle of it which might indicate the problem is in the cable part. Had a look at mine today and now it's stuck in the #2 position and won't move to either #1 or #3.

Sometimes things just keep getting worser and worser. :bang head:

Thanks for taking the pic. Much appreciated. :thumbsup2:

You are just full of good news aren't you. :crying:

Looks like I will have to live with it the way it is for the summer anyway. Not sure how important that damper system is. Will try to get some replacement front hoses for the CLASS so I can pump it up. The rear seems to hold air OK at least.