IGNORED

please help me remove spark plugs

I hope I am doing this correct. I have recently purchased a 1990 Yamaha Venture Royal, 1300 cc. I would like to replace the spark plugs but can't seem to get to them all. Can anyone help me? Do I have to remove the battery, and air filter? Thank you...

Hope i am not stepping out of bounds by reposting this for Slim.

You have to remove the side covers and the front lowers. If you have the OEM tool kit it comes with a double ended spark plug remover, and 2 or 3 large mm box end flat wrenches and handle. Slide the remover in over the plug and take the flat box that fits the remover and break the plug loose. Then take a length of 1/4" fuel line and slide it over the porcilan of the plug and unscrew it. The fuel line really makes it easy. One of the ends of the remover has a rubber piece up inside to hold the new plug. Put the new plug in that end and by hand slip the plug into the hole and wiggle it while starting the threads. This keeps you from cross-threading anything. Once the threads are started pull the remover off and grab the hose again. Thread the plug in the rest of the way with the hose. Put the remover back on and snug the plug down with the flat box. It sounds like it's complicated, but should only take about 5 minutes per plug. Some folks have said they use a thin wall socket... 18mm I think... but I'll be damned if I can find one. I'm sure they're out there but I have better things to do than chase down a thin wall plug. I put them in the same catagory as the 2nd Gear punch mark.... :whistling:

• Thanks 1

I just did this two days ago on my 84. It is a bit of a pain but if you follow the wise ideas already losted it will make the job a lot easier. I am now in search of a monkey that I can train for the next time something like this has to happen. I have discovered that whatever I need to get to on this bike it is always at the bottom of the bike and somewhere near the center. Big fat hands with stubby fingers so not work well in this type of situation. Now.... small , slender monkey hands would work fine and because he would be short he would not be spending hours bent over in some ungodly position. He could just stand there and work.

I must be doing something wrong, I use a 3/8 Powerbuilt cr-v 18 plug socket with a short swivel adapter and a ratchet, break it with the ratchet and then use the socket and swivel to remove... but I only remove the side covers to get to the rear plugs and use the hole between the radiator and the lower "leg" of the lowers for the front plugs.

A pain the change? These are easier the a newer sport bike...I can change all 4 plugs on my bike in 30-40 min. with a beer in one hand. Using a proper socket & 3" ext. on the rachet. But, If you have large hands or fat fingers...then it's a bit more aggonizing. I have skinney fingers, so the threading in the spark plugs is not an issue for me.