IGNORED

possible purchase

kevin-vic-b.c.

I have been given some info on a 2005 Yamaha that they believe is a XV17AS Road Star Midnight.

It has 2000 Kms on it (1250 miles), has been sitting for some time as the owner has been ill.

The bike is all black with soft bags and a tank cover to match.

Can anyone that knows a lot more about the second gen bikes than I tell me if $9,000 cdn is a good price for this.

its only :mo money::mo money:

I have been given some info on a 2005 Yamaha that they believe is a XV17AS Road Star Midnight.

It has 2000 Kms on it (1250 miles), has been sitting for some time as the owner has been ill.

The bike is all black with soft bags and a tank cover to match.

Can anyone that knows a lot more about the second gen bikes than I tell me if $9,000 cdn is a good price for this.

its only :mo money::mo money:

Average retail according to NADA is $6500 US

Hey Kevin,

I use Ebay as my "sounding board" for pricing on motorcycles. With the downturn in the economy, there are a LOT of bikes for sale in my area. For 9 grand you could buy a Second Gen. Venture in the 2005 range in the US right now. Unless that is the payoff on the bike and you called this man "PAP" when you were a boy, I would say that that price is steep, or worse. After all it is a twin cylinder bike and after owning one of the finest machines ever built on the planet, (A First Gen.!) you could be disappointed! Heck, if you are looking for a twin, for 9 grand, buy yourself a new Sportster and pocket the rest of the money!:doh:

Earl

Hey Kevin,

I use Ebay as my "sounding board" for pricing on motorcycles. With the downturn in the economy, there are a LOT of bikes for sale in my area. For 9 grand you could buy a Second Gen. Venture in the 2005 range in the US right now. Unless that is the payoff on the bike and you called this man "PAP" when you were a boy, I would say that that price is steep, or worse. After all it is a twin cylinder bike and after owning one of the finest machines ever built on the planet, (A First Gen.!) you could be disappointed! Heck, if you are looking for a twin, for 9 grand, buy yourself a new Sportster and pocket the rest of the money!:doh:

Earl

I agree with Skydoc. That is way too much money for that bike.

Other than the tires and battery what kinda troubles would I be looking at as this thing has sat a long time in this fellows garage. Are the carbs going to be gummed up and the tank need cleaning. The Bike is about an 8 hour ride from my house. I believe they are open to a reasonable offer .... I figured I would have the advantage with having all of you so I could not go wrong.

that is 9,000 Canadian so it may not be that bad a price for our area. If it sat for a long time he may want to move it. Personally I would not even try to start it up without removing and cleaning the carbs and the old gas from the tank.

Brad

I don't think they became fuel injected until '07 or '08. I have the 1600 and it is a beast. I think the only difference is that they bored it out a little. It's the same frame and nearly all the other parts are interchangeable with the 1600 so there are lots of aftermarket goodies. If you need the V-Twin rumble then you can't beat it, no matter what all the fogies here say. I couldn't see the exhaust, but if it's aftermarket you can bet it's LOUD. For more info on buying tips and concerns go to the road star clinic http://roadstarclinic.com/

I don't think they became fuel injected until '07 or '08. I have the 1600 and it is a beast. I think the only difference is that they bored it out a little. It's the same frame and nearly all the other parts are interchangeable with the 1600 so there are lots of aftermarket goodies. If you need the V-Twin rumble then you can't beat it, no matter what all the fogies here say. I couldn't see the exhaust, but if it's aftermarket you can bet it's LOUD. For more info on buying tips and concerns go to the road star clinic http://roadstarclinic.com/

Who can't beat it????:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Just couldn't resist....:innocent: