IGNORED

Front brake switch

The tanks on the 06-newer RSTD (and ventures) come off, VERY easily. If you haven't yet, you may save yourself some time and just pull it off and trace the wires. I cannot speak for the RSTD specifically, but the newer RSTDs are very similar to the Venture, I suspect it is still quite similar - As pegscraper said, there is a connector right by the handle on the bars.

However, be cautioned - as mentioned in http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=52670 Just because you disconnected the rear brake wiring, does not conclusively tell you that it is the front switch. It is, of course, possible but I would suggest also checking the the 'brake light relay'. This is something that I would test/inspect/replace next (after cleaning the connections) is located in/behind the lower left (clutch side) cowling.

Typically relays do not fail in the 'on' position, but just because it isn't a 'typical' problem, doesn't mean it isn't a problem.

If you really get fed up with it and you want to roll the dice; your bike is still under warranty - let the dealer sort it out.

:080402gudl_prv:

I don't know what you have, but mine plugs in at the front brake lever. The wires after that point are part of the entire bike wiring harness. There are no other plugs.

The wires on mine go into the switch and dont appear to be unconnectable at that point, so I'm guessing the connection somewhere under the tank.

I've had it off several times so that wont be a problem. the problem right now is I'm in the middle of 6-12 hour shifts and dont have time to go out and look at it like I want to.

I just had mine apart today. The only connection for the front brake light switch is at the switch itself. The only connections that I found under the tank were for the carb heater and the fuel lever sending unit. I have a 96 RSTD so my speedo in on top of the tank and there are two more connectors there. One for the speedo and one for the odo reset button.:178:

Edited by ToyOdie
typo

This is my last 12 hour midnight this week, Hopefully I'll get to it tomorrow.

Maybe I looked at it wrong but I didnt see any connection at the sensor itself.

I presume this is on your 06 RSTD. You may need to take the 2 screws out and actually split the switch housing to get to it. Yamaha did a pretty good job sealing everything up.

Don't forget about checking that relay too.

:080402gudl_prv:

Well last night me and a buddy got tired of messing around with this problem so we got serious with it.

We pulled off the tank and seat and started chasing wires, the front switch was working correctly, so was the the foot switch. We could hear the relay kicking in and out while using the brakes, so we kept chasing wires. We finally got the the connection under the seat, unplugged it and started testing the individual wires.

We found out that the issues was not there so it had to be farther back, we kept on testing stuff like the socket itself with no avail. Thats when I noticed wires behind the liscense plate..... what a rats nest.

I dont know who did the slash and hack job on the wires or WHY that did it but if I ever find out I'm gonna kick them in the nuts. The running light and brake light wires were wrapped togther.... and they both had bare spots which was letting voltage bleed over from one to the other.

Finally I can go ride without wondering if the car behind me is gonna run over me at the next stop sign.