With all the good reports on Venturerider about the Michelin Commander I was hyped to buy them for my '06 RSTD. NONE available anywhere I could find. Called Michelin and the tech rep said they've discontinued them in the sizes 150/80-16 (front) and 150/90B 15 (rear).

So unless someone can direct me to a source for a matched front-rear set of Commanders, I'm looking for a recommendation on the next best option. Avon Venom ?

Please and thank you.

With all the good reports on Venturerider about the Michelin Commander I was hyped to buy them for my '06 RSTD. NONE available anywhere I could find. Called Michelin and the tech rep said they've discontinued them in the sizes 150/80-16 (front) and 150/90B 15 (rear).

So unless someone can direct me to a source for a matched front-rear set of Commanders, I'm looking for a recommendation on the next best option. Avon Venom ?

Please and thank you.

Avon Venom or Dunlop E3's.... I'm running the E3's on the 99 and no complaints.

I burned through a set of Venoms and am working on E3s now. Oddly enough I've had problems with both. The E3 was an issue with the dingus that installed it, so that doesn't really count. The issues with the Venoms were the sidewall cracking (1st set) and tread separation (2nd set) that others have mentioned. Because of my experience with the Venoms I am done with Avon for a while.

I'm not enough of a gambler to try the Meltzers though. Good luck to those of you that are running them.

I just put about 2500 miles on a new Metzler 880 Rear and am very pleased. I ran Metzlers on my Goldwing and liked em.

I'm running Avon Venoms on my RSTD and Metzler 880's on my RSV. They both handle well for me.

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-basic/popcorn.gif

Please and thank you.

I just found out the Michelin's had been discontinued as well. And just when I needed a new back tire after over 13,000 trouble-free miles on my existing Commander too! My buddy has more than 15,000 on his Avon's and still going so I'm waiting on mine to come in this week.

Please and thank you.

They are coming out with a Comander II and depleted their stock in the Comander's is what I was told. Had to put a Dunlop E3 on the front.

Ok, I know there has been a big bunch of thoughts on TIRES, so, my question is, I've got a V Star 1100 Silverado that I've put Metzler 880 WWW 130X90X16 on the front and 170X90X15 on the rear, I would like to know if anyone has used that combination on their RSV? I'm told at the local dealer that the 170 would fit on the rear! It seams to be about 5/8" wider than the 150X90X15 that's on it. I want to put WWW tires on my RSV but am having trouble finding a fit in a good tire, I've got Avon's on it now and am about due for a new set of tires. Thanks everyone for all your thoughts and experance's.

Larry M

They are coming out with a Comander II and depleted their stock in the Comander's is what I was told. Had to put a Dunlop E3 on the front.

I am in the same circumstance. I am trying to decide which size E3s to put on the front. The OEM size E3s 150/80 16 or the slightly smaller MT90B16. Which one did you decide on and why? :mo money:

I am in the same circumstance. I am trying to decide which size E3s to put on the front. The OEM size E3s 150/80 16 or the slightly smaller MT90B16. Which one did you decide on and why? :mo money:

I went with the 150/80 16. Just got back from a trip to WV and found the tire works very well with the comander on the rear. Don't usually like to mix them but it works. Road the twisties down there hard too. They gave me the same price as the Michelin because he couldn't get it and I had to miss a day off of riding.

I recently went thru the same thing on tires and I wanted to try the michelin commanders. I did some sizing study and this is what I am trying at this time. I purchased a commander 140/90Bx15 for the rear, and a commander MT90Bx16 for the front. The rear is very slightly narrower and the front is approx. 3/4" narrower. Some of the newer bikes are running these sizes. The ride is very good, and I am pleased with the difference at this point. Overall the bike is about 1/2" lower to the ground.I did this on a 2001 Royal Star Tour Deluxe. I am a tire and wheel man, so I didn't mind doing some experimenting. By the way, The MT90B is same as 130/90Bx16. I purchased them thru Motorcycle superstore, free shipping and no tax. Rear tire was $107.99 and front tire $87.99. Good luck on your purchase, and just wanted to give you something to think about as a possibility. I am a newbee to this site, just joined, but have been riding for many years. This is my 4th Yamaha- GREAT BIKES! Jim in Knoxville,TN.:97:

used to run dunlops and had pretty good results, 2 up with trailer would get 8 to 10,000 mi. average.

Now on the Venture it came with dunlops and got approx. 10,000 mi., 2 up no trailer.

Second set I went with Metzlers. Put almost 14,000 mi. riding 2 up. For safety I'm having a new set mounted and installed this weekend, even though these tires look like there may be a couple of thousand miles left on them.

But like most tires my experience has taught me that as the tire gets to the wear indicators, the rubber wears fast and so that's when I get new tires.

I know Metzlers are not popular with a lot of people but comparing them, to the many different brands I used over 40 yrs. of riding touring bikes 2 up, I have to say I'm impressed..... at least for now.

ME880 150/90HB 15 rear

ME880 150/80H 16 front

used to run dunlops and had pretty good results, 2 up with trailer would get 8 to 10,000 mi. average.

Now on the Venture it came with dunlops and got approx. 10,000 mi., 2 up no trailer.

Second set I went with Metzlers. Put almost 14,000 mi. riding 2 up. For safety I'm having a new set mounted and installed this weekend, even though these tires look like there may be a couple of thousand miles left on them.

But like most tires my experience has taught me that as the tire gets to the wear indicators, the rubber wears fast and so that's when I get new tires.

I know Metzlers are not popular with a lot of people but comparing them, to the many different brands I used over 40 yrs. of riding touring bikes 2 up, I have to say I'm impressed..... at least for now.

ME880 150/90HB 15 rear

ME880 150/80H 16 front

Metz wear well but suck on wet roads as far as I'm concerned. The next guy will say they dont have a problem with them on wet roads. JMO

I finally had the new front tire installed this past weekend. I decided on the E3 MT90B 16. I chose this because the specs on the tire compared to the Dunlop 404 listed it to be .43" smaller diameter than the 404s which is what I was replacing and .54" smaller than the E3 150/80/16 tire. While .43" don't sound like much I was hoping that I would notice better foot contact since I am 5'6" with 28" inseam. The result is a combination of changes that include the seat being Butlerized which helped a lot initially and now this new tire I feel that I have better foot contact while riding solo and much better when riding two up. So I am recommending this tire not only for the excellent handling features it definitely provides, but if you want to slightly lower the bike this tire size MT90B 16 (instead of the 150/80/16) also helps with that. I am not completely sure if I am simply noticing the difference of a new front tire or this tire's features because I have only had 404s on my RSV, but I am really liking the new feel the Michelin Commander on the rear and the E3 front has made. It seems quieter smoother and much more responsive.

:thumbsup2:

Havent read one person besides me who has used the Pirellis. I got 15k out of last rear tire of theirs. Never have felt more sure of footing on any other tire I've used. Had a Dunlop 404d on and only got 6500 out of it b4 it was toast. Superstore has them for 97.00 delivered. I won't ever go back or change to anything else now.

Edited by Mikealiasmike
spelling

Havent read one person besides me who has used the Pirellis. I got 15k out of last rear tire of theirs. Never have felt more sure of footing on any other tire I've used. Had a Dunlop 404d on and only got 6500 out of it b4 it was toast. Superstore has them for 97.00 delivered. I won't ever go back or change to anything else now.

See this thread:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=22152&highlight=pirelli

In a nutshell, the Pirelli Route 66 tires are just average. They are cheaper than most, but they do not last as long as Venoms or E3s. The cheaper price is eaten up in more frequent tire changes, and you still sacrifice the better handling you would get with Venoms or E3s.

Goose