IGNORED

HD dealer closes

ediddy

Our harley dealer here in Albany, Georgia is closing. They have a salellite dealership on I 75 in Tifton, Georgia and will be moving everything from Albany to Tifton. The Albany dealership lost $500,000 last year. The Albany dealership has never been able to get it together. The current dealer is the third or fourth owner. The original owner was a perfect example of how not to run a business. He ran off more business than he got. The Tifton location has been doing very well. I wish them success.

I was at the harley dealership yesterday at 4:40PM making a sales call talking to the sales manager. She said she was just informed that the dealership was closing and moving to Tifton. Earlier in the week I had heard that the owners of the dealership had purchased the American Outdoors building and were moving there but the sales manager said yesterday that was called off.

Well, I'm not 100% sure but I think that Harley caused many of these economic problems with the dealers. I was told that a few years ago, Harley told their dealers that they had to build these high end motorcycle boutiques if they wanted to retain their franchises. A lot of dealers spent a LOT of money on new buildings and etc. just before the economy took a dive and the demand for big motorcycles went into the toilet. Regardless of how bad sales are, they still have to cover that large overhead that they had just created.

QUOTE:

I was told that a few years ago, Harley told their dealers that they had to build these high end motorcycle boutiques if they wanted to retain their franchises.

I do believe that is the 1st time in my 73+ years that I have seen the words "motorcycle" and "botique" used in the same sentence!!!:225::doh:

Well, I'm not 100% sure but I think that Harley caused many of these economic problems with the dealers. I was told that a few years ago, Harley told their dealers that they had to build these high end motorcycle boutiques if they wanted to retain their franchises. A lot of dealers spent a LOT of money on new buildings and etc. just before the economy took a dive and the demand for big motorcycles went into the toilet. Regardless of how bad sales are, they still have to cover that large overhead that they had just created.

You are correct. There was a great little Harley dealer in Effingham, IL. Prices were fantastic compared to the BIG SHINEY HARLEY store just 60 miles away. I priced a base Electraglide at both and Jack's in Effingham was $5,000 less. The owner was trying to retire but couldn't sell the dealership because Harley required the new owners to build a monstrosity of a store along the interstate. They finally sold the store to a group of investors and they built their giant megastore along the interstate. They also jacked the prices up and stuffed the store full of merchandise instead of bikes.

QUOTE:

I was told that a few years ago, Harley told their dealers that they had to build these high end motorcycle boutiques if they wanted to retain their franchises.

I do believe that is the 1st time in my 73+ years that I have seen the words "motorcycle" and "botique" used in the same sentence!!!:225::doh:

Thats not just a Motorcycle Botique its the Harley Davidson Botiques :mo money:

You are correct. There was a great little Harley dealer in Effingham, IL. Prices were fantastic compared to the BIG SHINEY HARLEY store just 60 miles away. I priced a base Electraglide at both and Jack's in Effingham was $5,000 less. The owner was trying to retire but couldn't sell the dealership because Harley required the new owners to build a monstrosity of a store along the interstate. They finally sold the store to a group of investors and they built their giant megastore along the interstate. They also jacked the prices up and stuffed the store full of merchandise instead of bikes.

The EXACT same thing happened here in Cape Girardeau, MO. I drive by it every day and see an empty parking lot and wonder how long they'll be able to hold on. Service is where they're making their money as of now.

Well, you guys think it is a bad year for the Harley Dealers in USA?

Get this !!::

I am told that the Harley Dealer in Iceland sold one ( 1 ) new bike so far this year. He survives by selling safety chrome and T-shirts at a ridicilous price. And I´ll tell you,,,,,these Harley owners in Iceland are all competing with each other,,,,having the most chrome, the limited HCSLTXBR Special edition (actually issued with a different letter combination every year) and etc,,,etc,,,.

Have to admit it though,,If anyone knows about marketing it is the guy running the marketing department at H.D. USA.

HD dealer in the Niagara area built a new real "purty" place with an attached coffee spot (never seen ANYONE at the tables) but with $35 sleeveless tshirts, $90 sweatshirts, $50 fingerless gloves .... probably doesn't NEED to sell any bikes if people are willing to throw the dough for that stuff, must be HUGE mark-up!

He also kept the original store and moves Yamaha, Suzuki etc outa there. I wonder how the guy is doing ....

I can say that Pooles in Hamilton looks busy .... all the time!!! and their shop rate is mind blowing, know of a guy spent $500 for new rear tire and labour, I kid you not!!

I'm up in Paducah, KY visiting my BIL and we dropped by the H-D dealer yesterday to check out their grand opening. (Old dealer, new location and building.) They are taking a huge chance, I think. The store is built to look like a paddlewheel riverboat and the guy I spoke to says they have the largest used bike inventory in the U.S. and I believe him. But they seem to be doing it right. Good selection, good and helpful employees... and, for H-D, prices were less crazy than others.

But I'm still amazed to see them spending all that money NOW!

http://images.psndealer.com/dealersite/images/fourrivershd/grandopening%20117.jpg

I don't wish to see any American business fail.

The baby boomers were the ones consuming all these bikes in good times. Now they are mainly buying the accessories and clothing. Who knows what the future will bring. I for one hope the economy recovers but until it does, a lot more business will go belly up.

Folks...do not turn this into a political debate.

Don,

Sorry, my intention is not to get political. Notice I said 100% of Congress.....They all know we can't spend more than we take in without creating a crisis. I don't see that as political at all, just common sense.

If you disagree I will delete the post. Or you can, no problem.

Edit: Even though I don't think the post was political, after rereading it I decided to go ahead and delete it. By saying what I said, I did offer an opportunity for someone to make it political if they wanted to....and I don't want to get something like that started.

Mea Culpa

Yeah, apparently worth nothing and Sr. wants Jr's 20% back for nothing. So. Jr. fired back and said he will buy Sr.'s 80% for nothing. :-)

Had to seen the 1st Sr. vs. Jr episode. I am sure that it is out on the web if you really want to see it.

Edited by Sideoftheroad

Who in the hell----gives a flying rat's arse IF a Harley dealer closes!----------way too:mo money::mo money::mo money: and pee poor customer service-------WHO really cares????????????????????--------:fiddle::fiddle:
Oh, I don't know. Maybe the families of the people who work there. But, what the heck, families only have women and children in them. Not at all like the members of this site who lost their jobs.