1ST LET ME SAY. I need a new rear tire....I corner the hell out of my bike. I am under 200#. My 800# 87VR "sport bike" is set w/30 psi in the rear suspension W/PROGREESIVE SPRINGS FRONT AND REAR.. . The SIDE STAND AND CENTER stand tabs are worn to nubbs. The saddlebag trim is now trimmed to a unique shape. Get the idea? I cannot find any info on this tire being USED by us 1st Gen. riders? I love the handling of the Avon's. But now the cracking issue is not going away. I am considering the Commander. I had Dunlops in the past and they do NOT provide the "feedback" I need while cornering. SO I need a great handling rear tire that give me feel, aka feed back in the corners...NOT AVON, NOT E3's. Does anyone have some 1st hand, 1st gen info, feedback? And what's the max. PSI for the commander rear tire? What mileage life should I get? I got 10k out of the Venom rear. Any ideas, info or suggestions are much appreciated.

If you like handleing then the shinko tourmaster 230 would be a good consideration. It sticks like glue but a lot of peaple arent getting good mileage on them. Ive got 6000 on my rear shinko and its only got 3 or 4 thousand left on the tread but it holds well in all situiations. I know its not the tire you asked about but and idea.

and they are cheap. I got the front and back deliverd to my house for $128.00

David

I've got a commander on the rear of my 84 and I like it. It sticks well and seems quiet. I think it handles about the same as the Avon. No trouble with expanded steel bridges etc. Right now about 20,000 Kms (12,000 Miles) and still looks like I can go a few thousand more. I'll be putting another one on when this one is done. I'll also be changeing my front one to a Commander when the existing Metzeler is done.

Wayne

Wizard, your latest post helps. Unless I hear negatives. Then the commander will be my next tire. My Avon only went 10k on the back. I had an older Avon Elan last about 20k...yes...20k. And it stuck like glue and was much quieter the the Venom. Similar tread to the Commander.

I've got a commander on the rear of my 84 and I like it. It sticks well and seems quiet. I think it handles about the same as the Avon. No trouble with expanded steel bridges etc. Right now about 20,000 Kms (12,000 Miles) and still looks like I can go a few thousand more. I'll be putting another one on when this one is done. I'll also be changeing my front one to a Commander when the existing Metzeler is done.

Wayne

On the Michelin site. For the Commander,I did not see a 120/90-18 for our front tire ...

• 3 weeks later...

I just got my rear commander mounted. I noticed 2 things. (1) the tire says it's a 140/90. My other bike(XZ550) has a 120 on the rear, the 120 measures 125 mm across using my caliper and the 140 Commander only measured 130mm across using my caliper. Date code 4709 made in Spain

(2)-Michelin claims they use the better Rayon plies in the commander vs. cheaper polyester. Heck, mine clearly states 3 ply polyester and 2 aramid on the sidewall. What's up with that? I called Michelin. They said their info says the Rayon plies have been used for almost 7 years. And would get back to me with an answer. Did I get a fake Michelin commander or do the Spanish measure differently than me? :think: Anyone with 1st hand info, much appreciated.

Edited by jasonm.

I've had my 88 Venture Royale for two years, and am presently riding on my second Michelin Commander, 140/90-16.

Fine tire, no problems, corners well, wears well, and is relatively quiet. Good in wet, on metal grate bridges, on pavement grooves -- predictable and safe. Before the first Commander, I had a Continental which didn't last me very long.

I run an E-3 on the front, and find it a good combination that I'll stick with.

So, I'm happy with the Michelin Commander. I ride not quite as aggressively as you, but there are some great roads in the MD/PA/VA/WV area that I frequently ride on, and this tire works just fine on them.

Nick Diaz

Middletown, MD

Took the bike out with the new rear commander. Handles good....Say Avons are a #10 in handling , then this is an 8 or 9 handler to me. Because it now does steers a bit slower. Needing more effort on the handlebars. AND Even though this 140/90 tire has a measured width at the tread is ONLY 130mm... RPM vs. speed is the same as before. Thus the tire is same height. But still very ODD. Michelin has not returned my calls. And Emails to them do not go thru. 38# in the tire, & 30 in the rear suspension. There are no "chicken strips" left on it. Wore it edge to edge in the first 30 miles. I could use more edge. I do not know if the available 150/80 - 16 would fit ? At this early stage ...yes it's a good tire. Not a great one.

Jason

Edited by jasonm.