IGNORED

Clutch problems... Spongy lever & trouble engaging

Went for a ride this morning and the clutch lever started getting very easy to pull in and the then had problems getting it to go into gear and of course wanted to creep forward while in first gear stopped.

Can't see it being the clutch since it's a 96 with only 4800 miles.

Possibly a clutch master rebuild?

Went for a ride this morning and the clutch lever started getting very easy to pull in and the then had problems getting it to go into gear and of course wanted to creep forward while in first gear stopped.

Bleed the clutch fluid....

Same thing happens to my '98, occasionally. Even though the sight glass shows fluid, the reservoir is empty. The rubber "cover" pulls down as the fluid is lost. This keeps fluid in the window. Refill the reservoir and pump the lever very slowly, a bunch of times. You MAY have to bleed it, but I usually don't have to.

Caution!!! COVER the reservoir BEFORE you pump the lever!!!

Bleed the clutch fluid....

:sign yeah that: If it's that old with so few miles I'll bet it's the original fluid. Do a bleed and replace all the fluid in it, had the same thing happen on 1 of my '99's had to pump it several times for it to disengage. Swapped out the fluid and the problem disappeared, might want to do all the brake fulids also while your at it :2cents:

I helped a fellow biker with this exact problem last weekend. The master cylinder was almost empty and as I added some fluid you could clearly see how old and contaminated the existing fluid was. We bled fluid using the old-school method of a rubber line from the bleed valve submerged into a jar. Pump fluid through the system, add more before sucking air, pump fluid through the system. Keep this up until clear fluid is coming out. Fixed.

BTW: I am sure it has been said here before, however, good preventative maintenance is to change your clutch and brake fluid about every two years.

Thanks!

Yea, the clutch fluid is about the same color as my morning starbucks black coffee.

Where is it I drain the fluid from?

The bleeder for the slave cylinder is down on the left side of the bike just in front of the middle gear cover. There should be a black rubber cover over it and when you lift that off you'll see the bleeder screw. swap out your fluid and I'll bet you problem will be gone.

Takes about 30 minutes. I just did mine. DOT 4.

I took off the left side plate aka fake fins. held on by 3 hex heads. Makes getting at the bleeder a little easier.

While a brake bleeder is nice to have, all you really need is a long piece of tubing to drain into a can. Open the bleeder as you start to squeeze the clutch lever, and close it when the lever is fully depressed. Every 5-6 squeezes, check the fluid level.

Sounds like I'd clean out the reservoir before bleeding. Use a turkey baster to suck out the fluid, wipe it out clean with a towel . Then fill with fresh fluid to start the bleeding procedure.

Clean the rubber expansion gasket under the cover too.

Thanks guys for all your help...

Elected to let a friend of mine who's a mechanic do it, good thing to, turned out it needed a new clutch piston. I just ordered new rather than a rebuild.

Thanks again for all your support! :thumbsup: