IGNORED

back up fuse

RJD

I blew a fuse for my passing lights, so I had the cover off the fuse box. there is a fuse in there marked "back up fuse" Since I don't have any back up lights, I am wondering what that fuse is connected to. I have the fuse pulled right now and everything still seems to be working

Bob

there is no access to the fuse holder to connect anything and the wiring goes right into the harness. I thought maybe someone had connected to this some place, if it is a spare.

Bob

There should be five spare fuses stored on on your bike. Two are in each of the fuse boxes and one is a spare for the main fuse that is stored by it. Pretty nifty, huh? That beats having to use gum-wrappers or tin foil... :hurts:

There ARE spare fuses (and they are clearly labeled as such), but the backup fuse is not one of them - it has a real purpose. The backup fuse is to "back up" the power to the electronics so they do not lose their memory.

Goose

Edited by V7Goose

That's correct, there are two spare fuses stored in each fuse box. Plus I learned something about the "back up" fuse. It is not mentioned in the Owner's Manual on the pages identifying the fuses as being in either of the fuse boxes...

Edited by yamadawg
Updated...