IGNORED

About to give up!

Oldslow

Very frustrated now. Stock seat hurts. Corbin is not much better.

Now the Butler mod makes no difference to the pain in my tail bone.

Quite frankly I feel like giving up and selling this bike again.

A lot of money spent and I can't do much riding!!

Have you tried Beads, sheepskin, Backrest, gel-pad, or even a hemorrhoid donut ?

BEER30

What you will be looking for is this:

RGSC100 - Ultimate Comfort Seat Cushion made by Roadmaster

It's a pad that has a honeycomb structure of gel material, inserted into a cover. Wife has one and she added one of the 1" closed cell foamed bleacher pads (located at Wally-World also.

They are hit and miss at Wally-World in the auto section. I have seen them at truck stops , but a much higher price. I found one here for $69.95 or here for $49.95.

BEER30

Edited by BEER30

What section in WallyWorld is the gell pads? I have looked at my local WM and have not seen them. Maybe it's a regional thing...

Automotive section. Same aisle as all the seat pads. Sometimes you have to search the boxes to find where they are hiding. As far as I know all the wallyworlds should have them.

Margaret

Man, if you're having that much trouble getting a seat that isn't painfull, maybe you should have a doc take a look at your problem. 'Cause if it affects you that much on a bike you're probably having a lot of pain everytime you sit.... anywhere...

OK, let me ask a few questions first.

Was the stock seat a pillowtop?

Was the Corbin better or worse?

Have you tried adjusting the back rest so that it pushes you forward and you can't really lean against.

If so, was it better leaning back or forward up straight?

If the answers are yes, worse, yes, forward, then perhaps your body structure needs a seating position that puts less weight right on your seat and more on your lower legs and thighs. Changing your handle bars to shorter ones might help, but I do know people that cannot get comfortable on a cruiser style bike, but do fine on sport-touring bikes like Honda ST1300, BMW 1200RT, Kawasaki Concours or Moto Guzzi Norge.

Hopefully you can figure it out and keep the bike,

OK, let me ask a few questions first.

Was the stock seat a pillowtop?

Was the Corbin better or worse?

Have you tried adjusting the back rest so that it pushes you forward and you can't really lean against.

If so, was it better leaning back or forward up straight?

If the answers are yes, worse, yes, forward, then perhaps your body structure needs a seating position that puts less weight right on your seat and more on your lower legs and thighs. Changing your handle bars to shorter ones might help, but I do know people that cannot get comfortable on a cruiser style bike, but do fine on sport-touring bikes like Honda ST1300, BMW 1200RT, Kawasaki Concours or Moto Guzzi Norge.

Hopefully you can figure it out and keep the bike,

Stock seat was pillow top.

Corbin was better.

No backrest seemed to help with my tailbone but without it I get terrible middle of the back pain.

I'm at a lost right now.

Man, if you're having that much trouble getting a seat that isn't painfull, maybe you should have a doc take a look at your problem. 'Cause if it affects you that much on a bike you're probably having a lot of pain everytime you sit.... anywhere...

Nope...only on the bike.

Had a Corbin on a Nomad for three seasons.

Put on 40,000 miles. Sometime I would get neck/shoulder pain but not a butt ache!

I have to say I would think the engineers at Yamaha could get a seat that is at least somewhat comfortable by now. I mean this is supposed to be a touring bike. I love the bike but the seat sucks. I could ride all day on my Road King and have no trouble at all, 45 minutes on this seat and I am ready to get off. I am having the Butler mod done while I am in Texas this summer and I hope that helps. Meanwhile I think we should flood Yamaha with complaints about the lousey seats they are selling on these bikes. I don't even have the option of aftermarket due to the tan color of the MM edition seats.

I have to say I would think the engineers at Yamaha could get a seat that is at least somewhat comfortable by now. I mean this is supposed to be a touring bike. I love the bike but the seat sucks. I could ride all day on my Road King and have no trouble at all, 45 minutes on this seat and I am ready to get off. I am having the Butler mod done while I am in Texas this summer and I hope that helps. Meanwhile I think we should flood Yamaha with complaints about the lousey seats they are selling on these bikes. I don't even have the option of aftermarket due to the tan color of the MM edition seats.

Unless someone put the Pillow Top seat on your MM, you had the harder seats that came with the MM and Midnight back then. Pillow Top is good but we actually want something firmer and it is definitely the butt bones that go numb, not my tail bone.

Well for one whom needs both hips replaced , fusion L5-S1 , Arthritis both locations and in knees and a broken right hand, the pillow top seat to me is more comfy than my recliner. I've sat on HD seats and Corbins and came to the conclusion that they are worse than sitting across a brick wall. It's all a matter of opinion and preference.

I've made several rides that were equivalent to Iron-Butts. And got home and was ready to ride again.

For those whom do not like the stock seats , there are custom seat makers out there.

Just another approach , I have adjusted my highway pegs a few times for better posture too.

BEER30

Next Question and not trying to be an smart A$$ about it , "But just how big/small is one's 'derriere"?

My wife says I got a cute Butt and I wear 36" jeans with a Beer-gut. I also found out that wearing loose fit jeans in the waist and crotch, rather than tight jeans are more comfy on the tail and butt bones. Wearing my belt tight makes a huge difference for the worse as well.

Just another thought that just occurred to me. Back in the day , I had a friend whom wore a football uniform girdle with only the tail bone pad. There was not a seat made that fit his A$$ that was comfy. He heard of this girdle from his football coach and it made all the world of difference no matter what he was sitting on.

BEER30

Stock seat was pillow top.

Corbin was better.

No backrest seemed to help with my tailbone but without it I get terrible middle of the back pain.

I'm at a lost right now.

Had a Corbin on a Nomad for three seasons.

Put on 40,000 miles. Sometime I would get neck/shoulder pain but not a butt ache!

Hmm, Corbin was better?

And no butt problems on a Nomad with a Corbin.

I've ridden Nomads several times, But remember there being a big difference in seating position. From what I can tell, both the handle bars and foot boards are a little closer on the Nomad, and the handle bars may be a bit higher. But doesn't seem like enough difference that you shouldn't be able to make the Venture work.

Don't know if this will help your situation, probably not, and I don't have it perfect yet. As you can see I have dug two holes in the foam, right where my butt bones set,,, makes a world of difference, now I still have to give relieve to the round part of the bone that goes over the side of the seat, but I wants to be careful not to take too much out.

My theory is that pressure from sitting on certain parts of my behind cut out the blood circulation and then the ache starts, keep it circulating and it should or could solve the problem. Now that can be done with more fat back there, but that is an option that seems to elude me, so I had to come up with another option.

Your only other option, from what I am reading, is look into a Russell daylong seat. They are custom made to fit the rider and they are made to your size and weight. I am with most of the others here in the fact that I loved the pillow top seats. I have ridden several several hundred miles on my RSV's and although I was tired, was never as wiped out as you seem to be experiencing. Best of luck with the quest

:thumbsup2:

Off hand I would say that you need to deal directly with the area of pain, or discomfort. I would not recommend to start cutting right away, but do the opposite first, build up the other areas as a start. If that seems to address the problem, then you have a good idea as to where to do surgery.

Everybody is built different, basically the same, but with minute differences that can't be addressed for the masses, so sometimes we need to make slight adjustments. That's where trial and error come in,, hopefully not too many errors, for seats are not all that cheap.

Maybe your seat is too wide and so causes your leg bones to set your butt and back in a sore position, try to put a band (ratchet strap) around it where your legs come off the seat and try that for an hour or so, see how it develops.