Idle speed adjustment – RPM’s (2006 RSTD)

I am seeking guidance on the correct procedure to check/adjust engine idle speed before doing a carburetor synchronization on my “06” RSTD. What specific equipment is needed (timing light with RPM feature, etc.) to properly set the idle speed? I have downloaded the file (Free bird) from this site (Tech Library) for doing this carburetor synchronization. Specific instructions are appreciated. There is nothing like avoiding the pitfalls of life in motorcycle care and maintenance with sharing the wisdom of others who have been there and successfully done that. Thanks 2Flights

There is nothing special about setting the idle speed, nor is an exact idle speed very important for synching the carbs.

If you do not have a shop tach, you will have to guess at the right RPM - the spec is about 1,000. Typically, 1,000 RPM is a bit faster than most of us would set it just by ear - the bike will idle nicely at 650, where it sounds pretty good. BUT, these engines have VERY low oil pressure at idle, so I'm pretty sure there is a good reason for that idle spec. I'd start by setting it to what you think is a bit fast - you won't hear individual engine pulses. The adjustment is a thumb screw just under the right rear edge of the tank. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose