IGNORED

ford 7 1/2 rear end

HELP HELP I have a tri-wing trike kit and am having rear end problems..figure it would be cheaper to buy a rebuild than to have this one rebuilt...been on the web looking for one but no luck.....is there any out there anywhere???..Thank You for any advise...:crying:

You could get any 7 1/2" for rear and the swap out the ring & pinion assembly. You will still have to re-shim the differential due to the thrust being backwards due to it being upside down/backwards.You'll have to reuse the shortened axles and the axle housing you now have is all.

As to the drum brakes , while they did the job I've never been happy with their stopping power, especialy when I pulled my trailer, so last fall I swapped them out for discs. I used a set off a 96 Ford Crown Victoria. It had the correct axle bolt pattern and the backing plate slipped perfectly over the axle tube. The mounting holes were slightly off but by re-drilling they mounted up tight. I also had to replace the rear master cylinder as the stock one didn't push enough volume to properly expand the pistons. I did find that early Mustang rear discs would work, probably better, but weren't cost effective. Salvage yards thought they were made of gold. :headache:

Now the brakes are excellent.

Larry

HELP HELP I have a tri-wing trike kit and am having rear end problems..figure it would be cheaper to buy a rebuild than to have this one rebuilt...been on the web looking for one but no luck.....is there any out there anywhere???..Thank You for any advise...:crying:

Look for an early 70's Ford Pinto they used a 7 1/2. If my memory serves me some of the 70's Ford mustang II's also had a 7 1/2. Junk Yard maybe, very popular rear end for dirt track racing out this way and getting hard to find in good shape. Good luck

I just bought a 2008 Tri-Wing Trike with only 2,800 miles on it.

I am not happy with the brakes either. What master cylinder did you use to replace the stock one?

Also Does anyone know where I can get a cover to fit just behind

the stock side cover?

• 4 weeks later...
I just bought a 2008 Tri-Wing Trike with only 2,800 miles on it.

I am not happy with the brakes either. What master cylinder did you use to replace the stock one?

Also Does anyone know where I can get a cover to fit just behind

the stock side cover?

Sorry didn't see this post earlier. Anyhow I used the following master cylinder kit ( http://www.jegs.com/i/Wilwood/950/260-5920/10002/-1 ) as the stock master cylinder didn't move enough fluid volume to properly expand the large calipers from the Ford Crown Victoria I used.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/21651/345.jpg

There isn't any covers available for that area you speak of. I welded in sheet metal to the angled 1" support bar. It was cut out to follow the curved frame. I also welded in sheet metal to the kits side mounting plate to close off that area too.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/21651/100_2007.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/21651/100_1234.jpg

Edited by Carbon_One

You'll find a 7½" rear in BroncoII, and Ranger pickup, with a 5x4.5 bolt pattern. The majority of the Mustangs with 7½ are 4 lug, and the 5 lug are 8.8 axles. Considerably heavier. What parts do you need? I just threw away a ring and pinion yesterday for one, it is a 3.54 ratio. I can retrieve it until next Friday if you want it.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know what the Tri King is using, but if it is a 7.5 ford I would bet the insides are stock ( bullet proof ) parts, and available at any auto parts. The big rub is they ask for year before any thing else,,,. The Hannigan uses a Thunder bird rear mounted upside down once again unknown year range. Easy to change out the gears, and seals ( messy as hell, but not that bad of a job )