IGNORED

Taking the Kickstand Off

OK...I got my shortened kickstand back from JerryW (excellent job by the way) and now I am ready to put it on the bike...

I have done a search and actually was surprised to see nothing in the Venture Libraries about removing the side stand.

What is the easiest procedure to do this...can I do it while someone HOLDS the bike up (since I don't have a bike lift)...and how hard is it to replace the spring back on?

Any help (pics would be nice) would be greatly appreciated...especially if in a step by step procedure.

Thanks.

Wally

Since I live outside of Searcy, I could give you a hand holding the bike or I have a Black Jack bike lift that may come in handy.

Give me a call (501-729-4357) and we can meet if you want another person to assist you. Leave a message (no cell phone) if I am outside at the time.

Scott Butler (SaltyDog)

1983 XVZ12 std.

I took mine off once. Supported the bike with a floor jack, dropped the shifter and linkage to get at the bolts. Getting the spring back on can be tough. I bent it double, forced washers between the coils, bent it the other direction and put more washers on the other side. That made it long enough to slip back on then pulled the washers out with pliers. Not the right way maybe but my 'Fred and Barney' way worked.

:bang head:

Have some Spinache handy, because the Person who's helping can be in serious Trouble. Getting the Springs back in can take some Time, having a Person holding the Bike upright in the Meantime can be a cruel Task.

Mounting the Springs while the Stand is in down Position isn't funny too.

You said you don't have a motorcycle jack but do you have a regular floor jack? You might be able to rig something up to keep it stable enough to support the bike while you do this operation.

Or another option would be to put a few eye bolts in the wall (make sure you get it in a stud!!!) in your garage and then use some straps to hold the bike up.

Or secure it to a trailer hitch on the truck or something (just make sure no one drives off while you are still tied up!!! :yikes::yikes:)...

On the other hand, if your dealer said they would just go ahead and do it for you - that would give you an excuse to get out on the bike and you wouldn't have to worry about stabilizing it while you do the install. Just double check it all - bolts and everything after the dealer gets through with it. :happy34: