IGNORED

SEA FOAM on my 98 royal star??

ozzman69

ok so ive been hearing a lot about SEA FOAM and its miracle work.... my 98 royal star that i recently bought with around 16300 miles on it....seems to backfire more than usual.... the last owner said it sat around for about a week or so, but i dont really trust him... i think the bike sat for longer than that... will the SEA FOAM better the backfiring problem??.... How should I use the SEA FOAM??... i know the bottle has directions but i wanna hear some of your techniques!! thanks!:think::think::bowdown::bowdown:

I use about a 1/4 can to a tank about once a month. For a new purchase with issues running don't be afraid to run a 1/2 can to a tank. The stuff works best when you get it into the fuel system and let it sit and work on the varnish. Then ride it like it was stolen and let it clean itself out. If you do a heavy dose it will throw some vapor. Don't freak! It goes away as you burn off the Sea Foam.

All the claims you hear about Sea Foam are pretty much true. Great stuff.

As for the backfire.....I'd be looking at the exhaust system. A bad gasket or loose connection can cause that. A good run through doing a carb sync will help to.

Edited by Snaggletooth

as posted above.. i agree.

the great thing about the seafoam product, is you can't hurt anything by overdosing. so you don't have to worry about a measured amount.

and if you let the bike idle while you take a large shop rag or towel and plug the tailpipe for a moment, you will find the exhaust leak that is making the backfire noise.

mike

btw welcome!! from Illinois

Just curious, by back fire are you talking back through the carbs or out the exhaust during decelleration? If it is the exhaust, do you mean a single loud bang, or a rumble/gurgle when you close the throttle? do you have stock mufflers, or after market exhaust. Mufflers other than stock tend to rumble more than stock. If they are stock as precious post have stated, look for exhaust leaks.

When, if ever, has the carb sync been done? This will definately help!

ok so ive been hearing a lot about SEA FOAM and its miracle work.... my 98 royal star that i recently bought with around 16300 miles on it....seems to backfire more than usual.... the last owner said it sat around for about a week or so, but i dont really trust him... i think the bike sat for longer than that... will the SEA FOAM better the backfiring problem??.... How should I use the SEA FOAM??... i know the bottle has directions but i wanna hear some of your techniques!! thanks!:think::think::bowdown::bowdown:

Used use Sea Foam for many years and liked it.

About two years ago, I switched to Chevron Techron Complete Fuel System cleaner and like it a bit better.

I read an article by a guy who worked in the petrochemical industry for many years and was a biker. He explained the differences between a polybutylamine (Sea Foam) and a polyethylamine (Techron). I'm no petro chemical savvy dude, but the Techron seems to give me better results. But, I surely wouldn't knock the use of Sea Foam by those who like it.

I plan to try the Marine Sta-Bil (Blue colored stuff) to combat the water attraction issue with today's ethanol laced fuels. I used regular Sta-Bil (the red stuff) this winter in my bikes and mowers and stuff. Seemed to work quite well as a fuel stabilizer.

Used use Sea Foam for many years and liked it.

About two years ago, I switched to Chevron Techron Complete Fuel System cleaner and like it a bit better.

I read an article by a guy who worked in the petrochemical industry for many years and was a biker. He explained the differences between a polybutylamine (Sea Foam) and a polyethylamine (Techron). I'm no petro chemical savvy dude, but the Techron seems to give me better results. But, I surely wouldn't knock the use of Sea Foam by those who like it.

I plan to try the Marine Sta-Bil (Blue colored stuff) to combat the water attraction issue with today's ethanol laced fuels. I used regular Sta-Bil (the red stuff) this winter in my bikes and mowers and stuff. Seemed to work quite well as a fuel stabilizer.

Seafoam is a fuel stabilizer(its all I use for stabilizer) and also has some fuel drying additives if i remember correctly. All of the uses for Seafoam are on their website.

Brian

Since buying my RSV a couple years ago, I've done everything there is to clean my carbs including taking them off the bike to clean by hand as well as all various recommended fuel additives. The bike always had a backfire at idle and during deceleration. Then last weekend a couple of guys here on the forum synced my carbs and wa-la! No more backfire. So feel free to use SeaFoam, it's great stuff. But definitely get those carbs synced as well.

Just curious, by back fire are you talking back through the carbs or out the exhaust during decelleration? If it is the exhaust, do you mean a single loud bang, or a rumble/gurgle when you close the throttle? do you have stock mufflers, or after market exhaust. Mufflers other than stock tend to rumble more than stock. If they are stock as precious post have stated, look for exhaust leaks.

When, if ever, has the carb sync been done? This will definately help!

the backfires are out the exhaust during decelleration.... it like a POP POP POP POP, simultanious pop all the way thru decel... the mufflers arent stock, i bought the bike from a guy who bought it from a dealer, the bike came with aftermarket pipes.... im not sure if they ever syncd the carbs

I used to ride an 84 Wing that I purchased new way back in the day. I used Seafoam with it for the last few years and it greatly improved the over wintering blues for the bike. I agree with the guys though, you gotta get it into the system and rider it hard.

I never had a problem with over dosing on this stuff so I would not be nervous about using a can for a tank of gas and then doing it again just to make sure after you have used the tank.

Ensure that when you tuck it away, that you add seafoam and go for a short trip to ensure that it is in your system.

You should not be disappointed.:bagpipes-emoticon:

On a new2me bike I don't mess around. 1 can to a full tank and ride it 'til it's gone. Then go change out the plugs. Should be good to go. With that few miles on a 10 year old bike there's got to be a lot of varnish accumulation in the bowls and jets. A Sea Foam specialty....

last week I purchased a "new" 2008 Kaw. versys with 5 miles on it. It has been sitting in the dealers back room for about 3 years. I added 6 ozs and 92 octane fuel and went for a good long ride. I also changed out the 3 years old factory oil.

I put S/f in everything that uses gas, wave runners, lawn equip., weed eaters. chain saws, boats and cars.

Cb