IGNORED

God Bless America

Mel

In early 1940, Kate Smith, a fiercely patriotic American, and the biggest star on radio, was deeply worried about her country.

She asked Irving Berlin if he could give her a song that would reignite the spirit of American patriotism and faith. He said he had a song that he had written in 1917, but never used it. He said she could have it.

She sat at the piano & played it and realized how good it was. She called Mr. Berlin and told him that she couldn't take this from him for nothing. So, they agreed that any money that would be made off the song would be donated to the Boy Scouts of America.

Thanks to Kate Smith and Irving Berlin, the Scouts have received millions of dollars in royalties.

This clip is from the movie "You're in the Army Now". You will see a familiar face in this—one that we are all very proud of.

Frank Sinatra said that when Kate Smith, whom he considered the greatest singer of his age, first sang this song on the radio, a million guys got 'dust' in their eyes and had to wipe the tears the 'dust' caused.

If you can watch and listen without 'dust' getting in your eyes, you have no soul. Sit back and enjoy a Real Star.You may have to copy and past the URL to get it to work. If it does not, let me know, and I will just forward. It is too good to miss.

[nomedia=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnQDW-NMaRs]http://www.youtube. com/watch? v=TnQDW-NMaRs[/COLO"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia]

... part I had not ever known. I did know the author of the words was a lady who rode the trains across the eastern US, then traveled up Pike's Peak, and from there, wrote the words, later set to music. I think it's # 2 next to our Star Spangled Banner! I still remember listening at age 3-5 to it on the floor, with the family, popcorn and soda, during the days of WW II (I think).

JackZ

My Dad was in the original SeaBees of WW2, took him 40 years to talk to me about it. Didn't think being on the invasion beachs with the marines was anything special, they were doing the fighting he would say. He was special to me. But no parades when he got home, nothing special to recognize them, they were just doing what they had to. Fast forward to Korea and Vietnam, the sons and grandsons of these warriors served because they had to. They went and did there duty inspite of the turmoil and anger at them at home. How different are we from then till now? Those who serve then and today did and do so at there life's risk and most do it because of who they are, they are Americans. We are kind of use to butting heads with others who allow trouble to brew and then critique those who stop it.

I have unfortunately attending the funerals of those who have recently fallen in our present conflicts. The towns I have gone to know the price paid by this country for the service of their citizens. More then once I have seen them lining the streets with flags in there hands and tears in there eyes, I am humbled and honored by the memory of those sights.

I have thought about it often, that maybe it is because of our spread out and moved away families that the physical expression of grief and patriotism isn't as personal, we are disassociated from it. Then one unfortunate day it becomes personal. You learn two things, 'It can't always be someone else's son', and people care deeply for those who fall and the families of the fallen, it is a hard lesson to learn, harder even to live with everyday.

Father of fallen Marine and forever a proud American

Semper Fidelis

My Dad was in the original SeaBees of WW2, took him 40 years to talk to me about it. Didn't think being on the invasion beachs with the marines was anything special, they were doing the fighting he would say. He was special to me. But no parades when he got home, nothing special to recognize them, they were just doing what they had to. Fast forward to Korea and Vietnam, the sons and grandsons of these warriors served because they had to. They went and did there duty inspite of the turmoil and anger at them at home. How different are we from then till now? Those who serve then and today did and do so at there life's risk and most do it because of who they are, they are Americans. We are kind of use to butting heads with others who allow trouble to brew and then critique those who stop it.

I have unfortunately attending the funerals of those who have recently fallen in our present conflicts. The towns I have gone to know the price paid by this country for the service of their citizens. More then once I have seen them lining the streets with flags in there hands and tears in there eyes, I am humbled and honored by the memory of those sights.

I have thought about it often, that maybe it is because of our spread out and moved away families that the physical expression of grief and patriotism isn't as personal, we are disassociated from it. Then one unfortunate day it becomes personal. You learn two things, 'It can't always be someone else's son', and people care deeply for those who fall and the families of the fallen, it is a hard lesson to learn, harder even to live with everyday.

Father of fallen Marine and forever a proud American

Semper Fidelis

Thank You for your incredibly painful sacrifice. I am very sorry for your loss and very grateful for your son’s service.

You're right in your history. You PM BLINGED my brain. Wonder who the author of the words was; I Berlin? Could well be. What an era of creativity that was. Wonder when it will come again; I kind of think it does in cycles.

I have appreciated the posts here. Most honorable. When I see a military man or woman, and I am sitting, I stand up and greet him or her, and say, 'Thanks for what you are doing for all of us!' Patritosim is on the return!

JackZ