IGNORED

Steering head ring nut wrench

dingy

Would someone that has a Yamaha tool p/n YU-01268, ring nut wrench, and could measure a couple of things on it please PM me ? Picture of it is attached below.

The RSV & the 86-93 Venture manuals shows this tool being used in the 'Periodic Inspections and Adjustment' section under 'Chassis - Steering Head'.

I am looking at getting some of these made and need two measurements from the "official" tool.

This tool allows the torque to be set on the steering head bearings without guessing at it.

I have several contacts that have CNC laser and/or high definition plasma cutters that could make these.

I want to get quotes on this item before I put it out there to see how much interest there would be in them.

This tool should work on all 83-09 models.

Gary

The hole is for a 3/8 inch ratchet. It measures .38 between the flats. 3.775 total length. .787 wide at the base (socket) end. As near as I can tell with a vernier caliper that I haven't used in years.

Could you get me the distance from the center of the ratchet hole to the center line of the ring nut hole.

It is this distance that the torque setting is determined by.

What I mean is that if you put a torque of 36 ft-lb at a point 3" from the center of the ring nut and the same torque at a point 4" from the center of the ring nut your final value on the nut will differ.

Thank You,

Gary

Well, not absolutely accurately. I had just assumed you'd want an image you could adjust to scale, print out, and say 'gimme one of these'. Ah well, I should have remembered about that whole assume thing. :)

The closest I can come is 2.312. (2 5/16 eyeballing with a ruler.) That should be close enough. Perhaps a 32nd or 16th either way. Had to trace the tool on paper, eyeball centers and such.

The book also shows needing a standard ring spanner, but the instructions don't mention using it. I guess Yamaha just wanted me to buy one, then not use it. It worked. I did, then didn't.

Well, not absolutely accurately. I had just assumed you'd want an image you could adjust to scale, print out, and say 'gimme one of these'. Ah well, I should have remembered about that whole assume thing. :)

The closest I can come is 2.312. (2 5/16 eyeballing with a ruler.) That should be close enough. Perhaps a 32nd or 16th either way. Had to trace the tool on paper, eyeball centers and such.

The book also shows needing a standard ring spanner, but the instructions don't mention using it. I guess Yamaha just wanted me to buy one, then not use it. It worked. I did, then didn't.

The RSV manual shows using that tool to loosen the ring nuts on page 7-63.

I may not be able to get a decent price on these. but it was something I thought I would look into.

Some of the people that have done this enough times have indicated that they have no need to torque it, that they just go by feel. I would rather have it set to a known specification, just like any of the other critical torque values.

I stopped at my local Yamaha dealer yesterday to see if I could look at his tool and measure it. The service manager was very helpful, even went out and looked in there 'Special Tool box' but didn't have one.

He also told me they aren't allowed to sell RSV's because they are also an HD dealer, which makes up the majority of their sales.

Thanks for measurement, that will be close enough.

I just tried inserting it into AutoCAD but it is not coming in at a 1:1 scale. If you could give me a width of the handle, I could use that to scale it.

Also how thick is the tool?

Thanks

Gary

You may want to look in the McMaster-Carr catalog and see if you can find a generic version of this tool. I borrowed a M-C spanner from a friend and it worked fine. However, I had to adjust by feel instead of with a torque wrench. Don't know if M-C has crowfoot spanners or not.

RR

Width at the base/ratchet hole end = .787

Thickness = .280

The first image comes out very close to life size on my monitor.

The second image is 1/2 size when the size is displayed in inches rather than pixels in my graphics program. The full size, in inches, image is too large to upload, though I can send it to you in an email if that'll help.

You may want to look in the McMaster-Carr catalog and see if you can find a generic version of this tool. I borrowed a M-C spanner from a friend and it worked fine. However, I had to adjust by feel instead of with a torque wrench. Don't know if M-C has crowfoot spanners or not.

RR

Looked at McMaster Carr and didn't see any thing.

The issue I see with using a tool other than the 'official' one or a copy is that if the center of the ring nut distance to the center point that the torque wrench engages the tool is not the same, then the torque applied to the ring nut will not be accurate.

Since the torque is being applied to a lever, and not over the center line of the ring nut, any change in this distance will increase or decrease the final torque.

Gary

Here is a concept of what I have recreated. If anyone would like to comment on it.

The dimensioning for the most part is reference only, since the part would be CNC created from the vector information contained in the CAD file.

Gary

based on looking at the actual tool picture, and the slight angle at the end of the tab that goes into the nut, I wonder if the origonal tool actually goes 180 degrees around the nut? It would appear that it only goes around about 170degrees instead.

Since the torque is being applied to a lever, and not over the center line of the ring nut, any change in this distance will increase or decrease the final torque.

Gary

I think a 1/16" of an inch will affect the torque reading by only 1 ft lb. A little grease on the threads, or not holding the torque wrench at right angles will affect the reading more than the c-c distance of the tool.

Brad

Also you might want to make it out of thinner stock than the 1/4" on the drawing.

how thick are the nuts????????

Make it thinner than one nut.

Factory wrenches are .280" thick.

Nut off of an 88 is .275" thick.

I don't want to go much thinner than .25"

My next choice down in thickness is 7 gage material, which is .179" thick.

I may drop the material down to H.R.S. instead of S.S.

Gary

Edited by dingy