IGNORED

Best Shoes for Concrete?

MamaMo

Ok would like to know what everyone thinks. What kind of or brand of shoes are the best for working 8-16 hours on concrete? Sometimes not moving every much. Come home last night and was hurting. Back, ankles, knees and hips. Thinking about buying a new pair of shoes. Need ideas.

I sold shoes for 15 years for Footaction, Fred Meyer, and Brown Shoe Company - Factory Brand Shoes and Famous Footwear. I am podiatrist trained and here are my recommendations if you can wear an athletic shoe.

Any shoe from Reebok that offers "DMX" cushion, ask the sales people they should know.

Add Spenco insoles, take the old ones out (unless they are glued in) and add the new insoles. http://www.spenco.com/gel_2.shtml

If you have to wear work boots then go with Red Wing boots. That company has been around since 1905 and they make some very good products. A bit pricey but consider the long term benefits and the price of a doctors visit and it's not so bad. Add the same insoles. Many people don't know this but shoe makers add an insole only to cover the stitching, not to provide comfort. When adding insoles get a shoe/boot that is 1/2 size larger than you normally wear.

:rudolf:

silverdeer

Well I bought a pair of Wolverine shoes with special padding in the soles.

I was on concrete everyday for 10-12 hours and they were PERFECT.

They were black shoes, NOT workboots, which seemed to heavy and bulky.

I have also been happy with Redwing boots when I needed the extra, but

they weren't quite a good as that particular pair of Wolverines I found.

Sears sells Diehard workshoes which are a budget alternative to the others.

A thick or padded sole is the best, whatever brand.

We spend 10 + hours on the range parking lot on training days. Silver deer had very good advice. Good soles or boots that fit right will last. I went an other route though. I get the lightweight hiking boots from big 5 and replace them every year or so. They are light weight and the soles are soft, I buy for fit not style and get a good insole. Take good care of your feet. Rod

I also worked on concrete floors 10-12 hours a day and had foot and shin trouble until I went to Red Wing shoes. They have a boot that is made for walking on concrete all day. Don't remember the name of the boot but they can tell you.

I use footwear with a crepe sole on concrete. A lot depends on what you like for footwear. S.A.S. shoes are great. Good support and quality. If you like slip-on boots try the Double H brand. Get the ones marked made in U.S.A. They have great soles. Bates Ultalites are also good. They go from a shoe all the way to 10" combat/tactical.

Now, if we are going the other way I suggest using a mix of 1/3 fine gravel, 1/3 sand, and 1/3 quick setting Portland cement. If you don't use quick-set, you have to keep them motionless for too long.

JB

I have asked about these Z-Coils whenever I see someone wearing them. They can't say enough good things about them. And they say you get used to them in no time. I've been temped but so far my Propet shoes have done me ok.

And you can buy them with a spring cover that makes them look more normal.

http://www.zcoil.com/uploads/prod_images/highdesert_black_01_ns.jpg

I wear the Bates, they are pretty good, The best that I have had are Rock Ports w/crepe soles.. I have had SAS shoes also, very good, but not sure if you can get them where you are at. I have a freind that works in a ER and he wears the shoes w/the big spring in the back, he has a bad back and he says that they really helped him.. Good luck with what ever you choose.

K

I use footwear with a crepe sole on concrete. A lot depends on what you like for footwear. S.A.S. shoes are great. Good support and quality. If you like slip-on boots try the Double H brand. Get the ones marked made in U.S.A. They have great soles. Bates Ultalites are also good. They go from a shoe all the way to 10" combat/tactical.

Now, if we are going the other way I suggest using a mix of 1/3 fine gravel, 1/3 sand, and 1/3 quick setting Portland cement. If you don't use quick-set, you have to keep them motionless for too long.

JB

JB

Some how, I don't think she was after the concrete overboots......

Froggy, was she happy with the presents?????? :080402gudl_prv::rotf::rotf: Maybe, she wants new overboots for you......... :stickpoke:

check out www.zcoil.com these are great shoes once you get used to them. A little different and take getting used to the way they position your walk, stance. Can be a little hazardous if you are up and down a latter alot or have to lift items from the floor.

I have several pairs and they are great, been using them for 15+ yrs. They look strange but there are covered heel versions. I'm 6'2' 280# on concrete 10 to 15 hrs. a day in a warehouse and they sure help me. It took me about 2 to 3 weeks to get used to the stance but I forced myself not to throw them away untill I gave them a day for every dollar they cost. Before I knew it, I never wanted to take them off.

Shamue

Skechers has the shape up sneaker. Supposed to help you lose weight by wearing them. Not sure about that but they are suppose to reduce the stress on the ankles and knees. Guess anything that has more cushion in it would be great for you. Good luck Ramona.

Margaret

Those are the cheap knock offs for MBT's. You will have to re-educate hyourself on walking with MBT's, though I suspect most women will have less trouble with that then men due to their shorter stride. As far as standing on concrete probably not the answer. Brenda was looking for workout shoes some time ago and happened into a shoe store where they actually knew what they were talking about (there was a Podiatrist in the store who confirmed the sales persons statements). find someone who knows what the h$ll they're talking about, be worth the money!!

I have to recommend Red Wing shoes as my favourite. When I was working in retail or the restaurant biz, I always had sore legs and feet as I was on my feet for the full 8 or more hours a day. After I switched to Red Wings Food service work shoe I never had an issue again, they have a great shock absorbing sole and they are made in the states so ya know the quality is good.

I would recommend going into a Red Wing Store or a good reputable Shoe store so you get someone that actually knows how shoes fit for different jobs and people. youll pay a bit more, but your comfort is so worth it.

Brian

Edited by friesman

I have to recommend Red Wing shoes as my favourite. When I was working in retail or the restaurant biz, I always had sore legs and feet as I was on my feet for the full 8 or more hours a day. After I switched to Red Wings Food service work shoe I never had an issue again, they have a great shock absorbing sole and they are made in the states so ya know the quality is good.

I would recommend going into a Red Wing Store or a good reputable Shoe store so you get someone that actually knows hot shoes fit for different jobs and people. youll pay a bit more, but your comfort is so worth it.

Brian

Don't believe I could wear them hot shoes, I'd rather wear my cool Justin's w/ steel toes:witch_brew:

Working on steel decks with extreme heat and cold and vibration and with the regulation that anything I wore had to be steel toed and a boot, no sneakers, I got a lightweight boot one size too large, traction sole and then put the best insoles I could get into them. Summer I wore light socks and in winter I wore heavy ones. FYI, Alpaca socks are the ultimate in warmth and comfort. Socks made from Alpaca wool.