IGNORED

Weird Wobble

cpudoc

Hey everyone,

Just took the Venture (83) up to West Va to ride in the mountains for the weekend. We did 1200 miles in three days!!!! It was the first over 100 mile trip that I have had the bike on. I noticed that around 80 MPH I would get a wobble that felt like the bike was flexing in the middle. The other way I could describe it was that feeling when you hit a rut in the road. Letting off the throttle would bring it back into control. I also noticed that it would do it on the mountain switchbacks around 65 MPH. I checked the front axel, brace and tire pressure (40 psi). I checked the rear axel, swingarm, shock pressue (35psi) and tire pressure (40 psi). Ichanged the dampining adjuster to "2". Now it seemed to get more tolerable after all this. I have not checked the front shock air pressure due to the fact that the line is still hooked up to the Class compressor. The rear line has been removed and fitted with a shrader valve. Could the lack of air in the front forks cause this? If so what should the pressure be in the front and rear shocks? Sorry about the long post.

Thanks

Ron B

Hey everyone,

Just took the Venture (83) up to West Va to ride in the mountains for the weekend. We did 1200 miles in three days!!!! It was the first over 100 mile trip that I have had the bike on. I noticed that around 80 MPH I would get a wobble that felt like the bike was flexing in the middle. The other way I could describe it was that feeling when you hit a rut in the road. Letting off the throttle would bring it back into control. I also noticed that it would do it on the mountain switchbacks around 65 MPH. I checked the front axel, brace and tire pressure (40 psi). I checked the rear axel, swingarm, shock pressue (35psi) and tire pressure (40 psi). Ichanged the dampining adjuster to "2". Now it seemed to get more tolerable after all this. I have not checked the front shock air pressure due to the fact that the line is still hooked up to the Class compressor. The rear line has been removed and fitted with a shrader valve. Could the lack of air in the front forks cause this? If so what should the pressure be in the front and rear shocks? Sorry about the long post.

Thanks

Ron B

could need a new front tire.bill :)

The first time that happened to me was the second day I owned my bike. I was in a sweeper at about 95 when it started to "porpoise" on me. I thought I would have to have the seat surgically removed from my butt!! :shock3: It also has a pronounced wobble when breaking hard into a tight turn. People kept suggesting stearing head bearrings but I pushed and pulled and shook but could not feel any looseness. Since I can't afford to replace the the front springs and fork brace at this time I have been living with it. I found that trail braking when it started (to unweight the front end) helps. But just b-4 Vogel I had it jacked up with both wheels off the ground and moved the handlebars just off center and they snapped back to center! And I don't think Yamamaha uses self centering bearings !

I had the same problem on an 82 Maxim that I bought and had to fix before I ever rode it. It seems that the races developed divots where the ball bearings sit. I went to Yamaha and the ballbearings were around $3 each and there were, like, 20 or 30 of them! So I ordered 3 and the races. Then I went to Ace Hardware and found the same size ball bearings for 15 cent apiece. I used those and rode that bike another thirty thousand miles with no problems. I assume that the bearings on the Venture have the same problem and I plan to repalce them soon.

Sorry this is a little long winded, but try getting the front wheel off the ground and move it just off center. If it snaps back to center and stays, then you might have stearing head problems.

Before the site crash, I think I remember something on here about replacement bearings that are pressed and not ball and race. If anyone knows about them or where to get them, please let me know.

Guest George Schlosser

You might also check the torque settings of ALL the Frame bolts.

I heard the 83 and maby 84 had some problems from the factory with frame bolts not being torqued properly.

But the steering head torque comes First !!