General Questions

(still under construction)

Q: What does RTFM mean? Is it rude when someone uses this term in a post?

A: Read The Friggin' Manual! (or something similar)

Although easy to misconstrue, this term is rarely meant here in a mean way. Instead, it is a quick and somewhat lighthearted shorthand to tell the reader the requested information is actually documented appropriately by the manufacturer. Not only should it help you find the information in the future, but it also works as a kind of validation that the supplied answer (which is usually included with "RTFM") is not just something immagined in an alcohol induced fog by the respondent.

Q: OK, I get the hint - RTFM! But I don't have the "FM" - where can I get owner's and technical manuals for the Royal Star Venture and Tour Deluxe?

A: Although the 2nd Gen bikes have not materially changed since their introduction in 1999, the owner's manuals HAVE changed. (find data on model year differences) You can download the correct one for your specific model year free from the Royal Star web site (insert link here). The shop manual has not been changed since it was first printed in 1999. You can purchase one from Yamaha, find a copy in either hard copy or CD on ebay, or it can be downloaded here ((insert link here).

Q: What "known issues" are there with the 2nd Gen Royal Star Venture and Tour Deluxe bikes?

A: These are documented in the Technical library here: [ame=http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1067]A list of known problems on the Second Gen Venture - VentureRider.Org[/ame]

In addition, much more information on any item listed can usually be found with a search of the forums. Just be sure to use search terms greater than three letters and try alternate spellings if you aren't finding the results you expect.

Q: Are there any differences between model years for the 2nd Gen bikes? Are all parts interchangeable?

A: There are virtually no differences between model years other than colors offered. All parts should be interchangeable, and when ordering new Yamaha parts, an updated part number for any improved or upgraded part should be applicable to all older models, from 1999 through 2010.

Although not a technical or design difference, the CD Changer accessory that previously could be purchased for around $600 became standard on the 2009 RSV. It is installed in the right saddlebag.

Q: What is covered in my warranty?

A: This is pretty straight forward - the U.S warranty is clear that it covers the entire bike for 5 years from the date of initial service. Unfortunately, a few bad dealers seem to be too lazy to provide proper support to their customers and try to claim various problems are not covered, including things like ABS plastic body parts, wheel bearings, etc. These shyster dealers should never be allowed to get away with such dishonest behavior. If you run into something like this, post your experience on the board here and we will try to help you identify the proper places to file your complaints.

Q: What fuel should I use?

A: This engine is specifically designed to use regular fuel (typically 87 pump octane rating, 85 at high altitudes). Some riders prefer to use premium fuel, but all scientific documentation and independent testing shows that there is zero benefit from using higher octane than the engine needs to prevent knocking or detonation. Using premium fuel will not hurt your bike in any way, but the extra cost is a complete waste of money unless it just makes you feel better.

Q: What fuel mileage should I be getting?

A: Like tire mileage, there are many things about individual riding styles, the environment, and specific differences in each bike that may make your specific mileage different from the "norm". The biggest variable for this bike is the average speed you ride. In general, if you spend most of the time at 60 or less, you should expect between 36 and 40 MPG, and even up to 45 is not uncommon when spending the day in the twisties. But if you like to travel at an indicated 75 or above, you will probably see mileage figures between 30 and 35 MPG.

Q: How much gas does this tank really hold? Is it all usable, or is some left in the tank even after I "run out"?

A: The manual says the RSV has a six gallon tank (the RSTD tank is smaller), and this is accurate. However, filling the tank completely to the top is quite difficult unless you have added vent holes to the top of the filler neck as described here: [ame=http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=302]Vent the Gas Tank Filler Neck - VentureRider.Org[/ame]

These tanks do not have a crossover line to allow the fuel levels to equalize, so if you hold the bike straight and drain the tank, some fuel will be left on the right side. In real riding conditions, the normal sloshing of the gas in leaning, acceleration and braking will allow virtually all of the fuel to be moved to the left side and be used. Several riders have reported filling the tank with up to 5.98 gallons, verifying the full capacity of six gallons and that all of it can be used in most riding conditions. However, if you have been riding on a straight and level highway for a while before you run out, you might be able to get another 10-20 miles by leaning the bike way over to the left to get access to some of the trapped fuel.

Q: How far can I go on Reserve?

A: The RSV owner's manual says the reserve is 1 gallon, but the majority of owners have found their actual reserve is 1.5 gallons (usually the low fuel light will come on and the odometer switches to the "Fuel" trip meter about 5 miles before the carbs begin starving and require you to switch the petcock). Under most conditions, you should always get a minimum of 40 miles on reserve, and with reduced speeds and careful riding, 60 miles is often possible.

Although the RSTD has a slightly smaller tank and no low fuel light, its reserve capacity is theoretically similar, but we are still looking for definitive information there.

Edited by V7Goose