IGNORED

LED passing lamps?

Midrsv

After reading the discussion in other threads about how to make yourself visible I got to thinking about passing lamps. Some of the LED cluster boards that you replace your turn signal and brake light with are very bright and I've noticed the new Audi's have LED daytime running lights that are very visible. So, I started wondering if a LED cluster board retrofitted into a passing lamp would be brighter than existing bulbs? I know they wouldn't be good for lighting the path but they may be more visible. Does anyone make such a thing? Would it be brighter?

Dennis

I bought some 9 LED lamps from RallyLights.com that fit into the same spot as the H3 bulb. They were not brighter, did not provide much light, and I took them out. I put them in the running lamps on my son's Nissan truck, wired so they are on all the time with the ignition. They are noticable, but really aren't very bright. They are also a very blue color. Maybe there is another solution out there, but this one ain't it. I just checked their web site and don't see them offered now.

Now that's what I had in mind. How do we adapt them to our lamp housings. I'm game to give them a try.

Dennis

Dennis,

I may be wrong, but it doesn't look like any adapting would be required. It says that they are a direct replacement for a PAR36 lamp, which is what we have. Should be plug and play.

If you give them a try, please let us know how they work. I may want to try them too. Sure would save a ton of amp draw on the stator.

Joe

Dennis,

I may be wrong, but it doesn't look like any adapting would be required. It says that they are a direct replacement for a PAR36 lamp, which is what we have. Should be plug and play.

If you give them a try, please let us know how they work. I may want to try them too. Sure would save a ton of amp draw on the stator.

Joe

Yup, that is what I read too. I am curious as to how it actually does in terms of lighting up the road in front of you. I know they have a picture there, but that is hard to tell. So +1 to letting us know how they work out for you! :happy34:

The article says they are a direct replacement. So, they should be a direct fit. If my memory serves me well, our bulbs are screw mount connectors. The article says they are 100% waterproof, no cover lens would be required. If you get them, add me to the list to tell how they work. Thanks,

Glenn

How do those mount?

I went to the ebay site and it looks like they mount on a bracket which then mounts to your bike. Evidently some drilling involved - it appears that the vendors prices are pretty fair, the downside may be that they ship from Hong Kong

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_rdc=1&item=270486500001&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp3907.m38.l1313%26_nkw%3D270486500001%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&viewitem=#ht_4157wt_910

I have installed 2 16 bulb led fog lights I found on Ebay for less than $20. Here is a pic but very bright and one with the lights off. Item number: 270486500001

From your pictures, it looks like the LED's could possibly cause the front turn signals to not be seen. This would be a concern for me.

I have installed 2 16 bulb led fog lights I found on Ebay for less than $20. Here is a pic but very bright and one with the lights off. Item number: 270486500001

Those look to be identical as the ones I got from Streetglow for $39 to put on the sidecar. Except I got Amber ones. They do lose brilliance when getting off center! Haven't had a chance to run them at night though.

How do those mount?

They do have a bracket but I just squeezed the bracke betweent the deflector bracket so no holes were drilled

Also, I don't know how I did it but when I turn my signals on the LED light flash as well (just a bit but sure gets noticed). I took the wiring back to the fuse block.

I like them, but like FreezyRider, I would be concerned about front turn signals being seen. I wonder how it would look if they were mounted a little lower on the forks? Should be able to see the signals then, I would think. I have the driving lights but I don't think it would hurt to have lots of lights on the front. Same with the back. :cool10:

Glenn

you remember what shipping service they used ? USPS , UPS , FEDX ? can't find it on there ebay site .

i have a PO. box and a shipping addy for delv. service .

Thanks , Thom

you remember what shipping service they used ? USPS , UPS , FEDX ? can't find it on there ebay site .

i have a PO. box and a shipping addy for delv. service .

Thanks , Thom

Do a search on the item number.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_rdc=1&item=270486500001&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp3984.m38.l1313%26_nkw%3D270486500001%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&viewitem=

• 3 months later...

Truck Lite makes a7" LED headlight in both 12volt and 24 volt applications. I've seen are military use the 24 volt version and it is very bright off center. Has anyone seen or used the 12 volt version? I'm thinking about using it instead of replacing the damaged passing lights on my Road Star.

http://www.truck-lite.com/

http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/GenericView?pageName=/new/PressReleases_en_US/12vLEDHeadlamp.html&storeId=10001&langId=-1

Edited by cf_collins
typo