IGNORED

Linux OS - a real "Venture"

SilvrT

"a real Venture" ... thought I'd include that just to make it "legal" for the site LOL

anyhoo... playing with Linux distro's again... currently typing this from within Firefox on a Ubuntu Linux OS. One real interesting thing is that even the current Linux OS recognizes my HP Scanjet 4100c where Windows Vista won't ... go figure eh? ... ole Microsoft POS

Just wondering what some of you others are running for Linux disto's (RedHat, Fedora, Suse...??)

I currently dual boot two Linux O/S. http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l224/teyster2/MiscNgifs/snoozer_likelinux_man.gif?t=1256697539 Kubuntu w/KDE4 and PCLinux w/GNOME. Haven't used windows except occasionally for work in about 5 years. I'm really starting to like the KDE4 desktop. I'm also a fan of MEPIS which has always detected all my devices and wifi right out of the box, but I like to switch around now and again, but those are my 3 main stays.

:thumbsup:

I currently dual boot two Linux O/S. http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l224/teyster2/MiscNgifs/snoozer_likelinux_man.gif?t=1256697539 Kubuntu w/KDE4 and PCLinux w/GNOME. Haven't used windows except occasionally for work in about 5 years. I'm really starting to like the KDE4 desktop. I'm also a fan of MEPIS which has always detected all my devices and wifi right out of the box, but I like to switch around now and again, but those are my 3 main stays.

:thumbsup:

I'm testing Kubuntu on one of the spare PC's at work. Tried Fedora... not bad. Haven't seen PClinux yet... I'll check that out. KDE4 is similar to Windows Vista the way the menu works.

MEPIS?? not sure what that is but I'll check it out.

I'm testing Kubuntu on one of the spare PC's at work. Tried Fedora... not bad. Haven't seen PClinux yet... I'll check that out. KDE4 is similar to Windows Vista the way the menu works.

MEPIS?? not sure what that is but I'll check it out.

Go to DistroWatch they are, almost all, listed down the right side. Of the 3 MEPIS is the one I would recommend to someone just starting out or wanting to try Linux.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l224/teyster2/MiscNgifs/404928.jpg?t=1256697820

Go to DistroWatch they are, almost all, listed down the right side. Of the 3 MEPIS is the one I would recommend to someone just starting out or wanting to try Linux.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l224/teyster2/MiscNgifs/404928.jpg?t=1256697820

I'm a little beyond the "starting out" stage... been experimenting with Linux off and on for roughly 10 years. Currently run one of the servers at work with OpenSuSe 10 ... I downloaded openSuSe 11.1 but found it fails numerous times when trying to download it's updates.

But, the simpler, the better ... question... can MEPIS connect to Active Directory domain?

I'm a little beyond the "starting out" stage... been experimenting with Linux off and on for roughly 10 years. Currently run one of the servers at work with OpenSuSe 10 ... I downloaded openSuSe 11.1 but found it fails numerous times when trying to download it's updates.

But, the simpler, the better ... question... can MEPIS connect to Active Directory domain?

Wish I could give you a definitive answer, but I haven't used Active Directory.

Check here.

Also, I wasn't suggesting you were "starting out", I kinda threw that in there for

others that may be reading the thread. I try to convert every one I can. :big-grin-emoticon:

I am using Ubuntu on 5 computers here. I am not sure if MEPIS has a LiveCD, but that LiveCD allows you to try Ubuntu on your own computer without installing anything.

Dave

I am using Ubuntu on 5 computers here. I am not sure if MEPIS has a LiveCD, but that LiveCD allows you to try Ubuntu on your own computer without installing anything.

Dave

A lot of the "more popular" ones all come on a "live CD" now and from what I can see, so does MEPIS. Some are available in a CD iso (less than 700 mb download) whereas others are only for a DVD iso (up to 4+ Gb download) ... FYI... Internet Explorer can't handle downloads over 4 Gb ... or so one of the Linux download sites states.

I guess it would be helpful for ya'll to know my ultimate goal. I want to install a solid distro that I can setup wine on and do some testing running MS Access. Also need to be able to read/write to NTFS partition (I believe most disto's will do this using Samba no problem). Also, need to be able to connect to Windows domain with Active Directory (I've had this working before but found it to be a bit "buggey" in openSuSe) and be able to connect to Windows servers/drive shares (I'm certain this is also a part of Samba as I've done it before) ... the big thing is getting wine and MS Access to work.

So, the distro that I need should not have any limitations on the extent is can be configured.

Sound like fun?? LOL

SilvrT - Would going with Virtual Box suit your needs better than Wine and just run your Windows install from within the Linux? Haven't used Virtual Box in about a year, but the last time I did it seemed to work well and the last couple of forum posts I've read on it indicates it has improved since then too. :D

SilvrT - Would going with Virtual Box suit your needs better than Wine and just run your Windows install from within the Linux? Haven't used Virtual Box in about a year, but the last time I did it seemed to work well and the last couple of forum posts I've read on it indicates it has improved since then too. :D

I've thought about that ... from what I've been able to learn, running Access in wine is kinda "flaky" so may have to go a different route. Thing is, in a virtual box, I still have to run Windows which kinda defeats my purpose. We have this custom-designed application done in Access that we use for logging all the incoming calls (it's a call centre) plus, the app contains a lot of information our agents use to help direct callers. This data is updated daily. So, can't really get away from that. Wish I could re-design it into a web server based system. Maybe I need to investigate that further but this app is super fast and keyboard-driven (no mousing). Not so sure I could get the same performance out of a web-based system.

I have never been a Windows user. I started out with an 8086 running CP/M and moved to the C=64 when it came out. I started using Linux in 2000 when I blew up my last functioning Amiga. I currently run Fedora on both the home boxes.

I have run Red Hat, and now Ubuntu on three HP laptops. I find that Ubuntu, being aimed at the Windows world, is easier to connect to windows centric hotel wi-fi setups. I don't use it for much else, since I don't care for the way Ubuntu handles root security.

I installed Suse on a box I built for my sister. She also has an Eee that is running EasyPeasy, which is a Debian based distro aimed at netbooks.

I generally use Windowmaker configured with four desktops as my GUI when I want to get any real work done. I have Gnome with Fusion set up as second choice, and for showing of the 3D desktop-on-a-cube graphics. I don't care for KDE and very rarely use it, though I have it installed. Gotta have the libraries, so I might as well include the GUI.

For those tied to Windows based software, you might want to try Crossover. They're a commercial branch of Wine that began by making Windows business apps run under Linux.

I gave up windows and its proprietary apps a few years ago and have not looked back. I still have winxp loaded on my laptop to use with co-workers (less and less). I use Ubuntu. It was the easiest to install and recognize my hardware.

Bill will not get any more of my money.

:happy-emoticon:

Jerry

I have never been a Windows user. I started out with an 8086 running CP/M and moved to the C=64 when it came out. I started using Linux in 2000 when I blew up my last functioning Amiga. I currently run Fedora on both the home boxes.

I have run Red Hat, and now Ubuntu on three HP laptops. I find that Ubuntu, being aimed at the Windows world, is easier to connect to windows centric hotel wi-fi setups. I don't use it for much else, since I don't care for the way Ubuntu handles root security.

I installed Suse on a box I built for my sister. She also has an Eee that is running EasyPeasy, which is a Debian based distro aimed at netbooks.

I generally use Windowmaker configured with four desktops as my GUI when I want to get any real work done. I have Gnome with Fusion set up as second choice, and for showing of the 3D desktop-on-a-cube graphics. I don't care for KDE and very rarely use it, though I have it installed. Gotta have the libraries, so I might as well include the GUI.

For those tied to Windows based software, you might want to try Crossover. They're a commercial branch of Wine that began by making Windows business apps run under Linux.

Thanks for the "tips" ... I recall hearing about crossover now but had forgotten about it. In the process of testing it under Fedora now.

here'w my two cents worth.... if i had SATA where i was supposta and not drank so much WINE i guess IDE not have fallen out of the WINDOW and make such a GUI mess in my jeans...got up and stunbled on the BURNER which was sitting on the BIOS, at this point all i could say was F key this whole bunch of SLAVE talk anyway. i thought ridin' was tough but this computer stuff wears me out ....lol.

actually you guys seems to know your stuff, my hats is off to you all!

buz

... I started out with an 8086 running CP/M and moved to the C=64 when it came out...

Bummer, you dated yourself. I too have written more then a few lines of code on an 8 bit Z80 and in assembler for the bootstrap loader to get my dual cassette tape deck (one for program, one for data) to work. Guess the days of counting bits is over. Who would of ever thought a "home" machine could have quad core 64bit CPUs, 1TB drives and 4GB RAM. Unbelievable.

here'w my two cents worth.... if i had SATA where i was supposta and not drank so much WINE i guess IDE not have fallen out of the WINDOW and make such a GUI mess in my jeans...got up and stunbled on the BURNER which was sitting on the BIOS, at this point all i could say was F key this whole bunch of SLAVE talk anyway. i thought ridin' was tough but this computer stuff wears me out ....lol.

actually you guys seems to know your stuff, my hats is off to you all!

buz

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

very good! :thumbsup2:

Thanks for the "tips" ... I recall hearing about crossover now but had forgotten about it. In the process of testing it under Fedora now.
I used Crossover Office for a while back when there was no native version of shockwave and it wasn't possible to view wmvs without Windows Media Player. Now pretty much everything's native or there are drivers.

One of the things I liked about it was when there was a technical issue, I wound up in an email exchange the/a primary author. It was great to be able to help sort out a problem with someone who actually codes well. Beats the Mumbai help desk big time.

You mentioned running Fedora. Do you follow any Installation Guides? Fedora's fully open, which can be a pain. I usually add proprietary stuff from third party repositories. I find it's easiest to tell folks to follow a guide that takes 'em through the setup process. It's not as easy to install as Ubuntu, but it's a lot more "Linux" in flavor and I find it a lot more powerful.