IGNORED

09 RSV Max Weight

The manual states the maximum weight you can place on an 09 RSV is 418 pounds, including rider, passenger, gear (helmets, etc.) and luggage. Thats not a whole lot. Is this max weight more to do with tire wear and emissions than what the bike frame can safely support? From some of the pics and posts in here, people are loading WAY over 418lbs of trailers, accesories, rider, etc. Heck, I'm 280 of the 418 pounds!

I'm just a bit heavier than you and once my wife is on back I'm over limit. Add some stuff in the bags and I end up 40-50lbs over. Just wait till I get a trailer hooked up! When I bought the bike I was a little concerned about this too but mainly because of the weight limit of the bike tire. The reinforced ones have a limit of just over 900 lbs. That's one of many reasons that I went to a car tire with a 1200 lb weight limit. All I can say is, now that I have the CT on I have a lot more confidence when we ride.

The manual states the maximum weight you can place on an 09 RSV is 418 pounds, including rider, passenger, gear (helmets, etc.) and luggage. Thats not a whole lot. Is this max weight more to do with tire wear and emissions than what the bike frame can safely support? From some of the pics and posts in here, people are loading WAY over 418lbs of trailers, accesories, rider, etc. Heck, I'm 280 of the 418 pounds!

It seems to me you should be OK as long as you don't go over the 761lbs load limit on the front tire, or the 827lbs limit on the back tire.

I switched to the Avons with the narrow front tire, which has the 827lbs limit on the front and has 992lbs limit for the rear tire, which should have increased my safe load limit by over 200lbs.