IGNORED

Got a thump in the front

Hey Folks,

Need a little help. In May of 2009 I put new Avons on my 2000 RSV (with about 17,500 miles on it and 4000 on the tires) and tightened the bearing for the front fork (bike had a low speed wobble problem). It has since developed an out of balance feeling in the front end that creates a "thump" at low speed that can be felt in the handle bars - kinda what you would feel on a "washboard" gravel road – but I’m not on one at the time. Had the front tire checked for balance and normal wear and it was OK. Have tried different tire and front fork air pressures with no change. At highway speed I can't feel anything. The weird thing is that some days it doesn't do it - or at least as much - maybe it is temperature sensitive?

Didn't go to Vogel because I'm not sure what this is - kinda bummed about that.

Anyway, any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Could your rotors be out of line and bumping the brakes as the wheel turns?

I also felt a similar feeling some time ago, ended up being one of my wheel berings. I would be supprised at wheel berings considering your mileage.

Can you raise the front end and spin the wheel manually?

I had a similar problem on my 07 and it turned out to be an out of round front tire. Was a little hard to detect, the dealer had to put it on the balancer and spin it while watching the top surface.

It did not show up as a problem with the balance.

Some times while riding it was more noticable that others.

Yeah I was going to say out of round or it's not seated properly on the rim.

The thing is these kind of problems seem to be worse at higher speeds.

Be sure you're running 40 lbs or so air in the front tire.

Good Luck

Boo

I have the same problem with mine . After 3000 miles it if act as it is out balance . Had 3 tires put on and it still does the same thing . If you find out let me know . I am end meet . Have 9000 miles on 3 tires . Amd still have thing . Thanks big mo

Hey,

Thanks for the input. When this first started I removed the front wheel and took it to a local bike shop that specializes in drag bikes. They checked the balance, roundness, pressure, and bearings - they were OK. They suggested it might be something in the rear wheel causing it to feel like it was coming from the front. I didn't think that sounded possible at the time.

But......Yesterday there was an oil puddle under the bike with a steady drip coming from the shock. Could this documented problem also be the reason for the "thump" or do I have 2 different problems now?

Could your rotors be out of line and bumping the brakes as the wheel turns?

I also felt a similar feeling some time ago, ended up being one of my wheel berings. I would be supprised at wheel berings considering your mileage.

Can you raise the front end and spin the wheel manually?

Bearings ok - will check the rotors - had not thought of that.

Thanks,

Yeah I was going to say out of round or it's not seated properly on the rim.

The thing is these kind of problems seem to be worse at higher speeds.

Be sure you're running 40 lbs or so air in the front tire.

Good Luck

Boo

Air pressure is good. I agree if it were out of balance or out of round it would get worse at higher speeds - wierd.

Your rear shock could be the culprit, vibrations and noises have a way of travelling around the bike. If you found some oil under the rear shock I think I would address that 1st seeing your bike is 9 years old. The rear shocks are notorious for going bad.

Have you been useing a Hand Pump, to put air in the Rear Shock ??

Or, the Air Hose ??? Thats a No No !!! Will blow the seals of the shock.

Sorry, just checking ----

Good point - but I have a Harley hand pump and never put more than 30psi in rear and 2psi in front.

Good point - but I have a Harley hand pump and never put more than 30psi in rear and 2psi in front.

Don't know how much you weigh, but have you tried more pressure in the rear? I ran 40 most the time solo and all the way up to 55 when 2 up and loaded. Still thuink that your shock needs some attention.

Thanks for all the input.

Today I did a shotgun approach mostly from frustration. Jacked the bike up and made sure the front wheel and rotors were running true. I put 40psi in the oil leaking rear shock (ordered a Works replacement shock today), put 42psi in the front tire, put 45psi in the back tire, 2psi in the front forks, and tightened the steering bearing tighter. Went for a ride and it was 95% better. I don't know what caused the improvement, but I suspect the bearing adjustment was probably the inititial cause of my problems since I have little experience with fine tuning it (although I have adjusted it before with good results).

Anyway, I have a day ride tomorrow with my brother and his Harley. Just hope the shock is done leaking before we leave - hate to leave more fluid on the ground than a Harley!