IGNORED

2007 motor/clutch/transmission whine ?

Hummingbird

Well, I changed the oil - put Mobil 1 10w40 in and it didn't seem to change the whine. On Monday I went to our local Yamashop and spoke with the lead mechanic. After a short talk he said he would need to ride it to determine if the clutch basket change would possibly make a difference.

The key was in it so off he went. About 15 minutes later he was back and said he would change the basket if that's what I wanted " BUT " he also said that I have one of the quieter Ventures.

Now I realize that the shop is busy right now and perhaps didn't want any additional work but looking at it from a business sense, one would think they would schedule it to be done anyway because it's basically FREE money for them.

What he did suggest is that the next time I change oil that I consider using 20 w 50 oil. That 'might' help somewhat he said but there are no guarantees.

So yesterday I found that with a helmet on, the XM radio up to 14 - 16 and enjoying the scenery, I really didn't even notice a whine.:innocent-emoticon:

These engines, IMHO, are a bit "persnikety". I've had 3 Ventures and this one is no different. Sometimes they purr like a kitten and other times they seem quite noisy. There seems to be no consistency ... sometimes when I start off and take it up thru the gears, it's very smooth and quiet. Other times the whine is real bothersome and other times, most noticeably when pulling a hill, the engine seems quite noisy yet it doesn't seem to be that way all the time.

I'm getting my clutch basket changed this coming Saturday. I'm also changing out the oil coz it's due so will post the results after I've ridden it for a while.

actually - my engine noise comes in at easy cruising, when there's no labor or torque against the motor. anyway, it seems to noisiest then. When I labor the motor up a hill, the road king muffs and the radio drown out any motor noise.

Guest tx2sturgis
actually - my engine noise comes in at easy cruising, when there's no labor or torque against the motor. anyway, it seems to noisiest then. When I labor the motor up a hill, the road king muffs and the radio drown out any motor noise.

That sounds like drive train/rear end whine. Thats when mine is the noisiest. At easy cruising speeds the gears have some slack and slop, and hence, you hear a whine.

Pretty quiet for the first several miles of riding, but within about 2 to 10 miles, after the rear drive hub oil heats up and thins out, it gets very noticeable at speeds of say, 40 to 60 mph in 5th.

Changing the clutch basket wont help if thats what your getting.

Edited by tx2sturgis

so, are you saying the RK's and the radio DON'T drown out the noise at easy cruising? :witch_brew: :witch_brew:

so, are you saying the RK's and the radio DON'T drown out the noise at easy cruising? :witch_brew: :witch_brew:

I do hear noise when there is no hard torque - but I REALLY have a hearing problem and sometimes high pitch noises come in pretty clear.

I do hear noise when there is no hard torque - but I REALLY have a hearing problem and sometimes high pitch noises come in pretty clear.

hope you didn't take my comment the wrong way... I was razzin ya some. I also have a hearing problem ... not sure how the sounds of the bike are picked up (or not) but when I'm in a crowd of people and everyone's talking, such as in a noisy pub, I have a really hard time hearing what the person next to me is saying unless they are looking right at me and I am concentrating.