i have a 86 royale that won't start, when i turn the key the fuel pump doesn't turn on,and the start key does nothing, the neutral light is on, when the engine was running last night and i parked the bike it was in gear and i put the kick stand down and the bike stopped running ,so i am assuming the kick stand switch works, the battery is realitively new,when i use the kill switch it makes a clicking noise that sounds like it is engaging a switch? should i start at the starter and work backwords? how do i get to the starter terminals? thanks for the help

Check that the kickstand switch is not stuck. If it is grimy looking you need to clean it with some wd40 or electrical cleaner. You can take a screwdriver and gently pry the stem of the switch out to see if it is stuck.

Hi c.page,

If you are disengaging the kill switch to start the engine, that clicking noise is the fuel pump. It should run just a few clicks, or a couple of seconds.

I'd look at the kickstand switch to start.

I'd check the kick stand and kill switch with an ohm / continuity meter first, in those circumstances.

Keep us posted.

Brian H.

ok this is what we tried yesterday--got my neighbors battery charger that has a 50 amp boost for starting and that did nothing, wanted to see if the bike would run so we push started it and it started right up,ran fine,rode it for maybe 5 minutes around the neighborhood,when i parked it i used the kickstand and it killed the engine,so that seems to be working.it looks like the question is "after the key is turned on what system or circuit besides the kickstand will not allow current to the fuelpump and starter"?? any help thanks

on my '86, when I first turn the key after it's been sitting for a bit, I hear the fuel pump clicking. if I turn it off then on again, after a couple times it stops clicking. check your starter solenoid (under false cover, left side, two posts). should be able to bridge the two posts with a screwdriver and get it to turn the starter. could also try a jumper cable direct to your starter (front left side of the engine as you're sitting on it.) will have to pull off lower cowling you'll see the black wire running down with a rubber cover over the terminal. at least then you can rule out bad starter or bad solenoid. oh, and if you have to pull the starter, might as well go ahead and replace your thermostat as you'll already be right there (right side as you're sitting on it, pull exhaust pipe to get to housing). can get new thermo from NAPA for less than 10 bucks and can order the o-ring and gasket from a yammy stealership for less than 10 bucks as well. just make sure you remember which exhaust came off which side.. don't ask how I know this. :missingtooth:

These are from the 1983-85 manual, but I am assumong the starting circuit would be the same.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i274/13thAFMonterey/start1.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i274/13thAFMonterey/start2.jpg

I think it could still be the sidestand. It's been a long time since I have owned a first gen but I think that the sidestand actually activates a couple of different circuits. I THINK that there is a relay which will prevent the bike from starting that is different from the circuit that kills the bike. There are two sets of contacts on the sidestand switch if I'm not mistaken. The first thing I would try would be to bypass the switch and try to start it. Just because it kills the bike when you put it down does not necessarily mean that it is working properly.

C-page---------ya tried PULLING the clutch in?and pressing the starter button????????-----------I have that prob. on my 92-------figured that it is a goooood theif deterent(------there is a switch that is operated by pulling the clutch in-----THE ELECTRICAL GURU----------in Seattle will check in and splaine it to ya-----:sun1::sun1::usa::usa::usa:

How old is your battery ??

If its a lead Acid, is the fluid level above the plates ??

Read the voltage of battery, if below 12.2 volts, then Hook up a

charger to the battery, and charge it at 2 Amps or higher, for 6 to 10 hours,

then re install in bike and Re-Evaluate the problem.

( Do not use a " TRICKLE " CHARGER-- Use a REAL Charger )

Edited by GeorgeS

These are from the 1983-85 manual, but I am assumong the starting circuit would be the same.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i274/13thAFMonterey/start1.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i274/13thAFMonterey/start2.jpg

thanks monty,the schematics will be a BIG help,i'll get the old volt meter out and start tracking circuits,from the looks of it ,the relays are inside the fairing,is that correct and what is easiest way to get to them,and does each circuit (kickstand,starting,kill) have its own relay? how about the started motor does it have a solenoid, and where is it located?? thanks again you've been a big help

thanks for everyone help,i thought i would start with the easiest thing first,the kickstand switch,with the key on and the stand down i have voltage at the green wire, the black and blue wires have no voltage,when the stand is up all three wires read zero,should the green wire lose it's voltage when the stand goes up? should the blue or black wires ever be energized?if i wanted to bypass the switch how would i wire it?? thanks