IGNORED

Personal observation on ignition switch

This is going to be a bit winded but I feel its necessary to detail all of it so you can be either: bored out of your skull, or get a good understanding of what im trying to say.....:backinmyday:

Over the years I have read about how the ignition switch just fails, leaving some stranded without warning. Now, most of you who followed my various posts over the last few years know about my charging system issues, which are now fully resolved thanks to some lengthy phone calls.....:whistling: That being said, I had installed a Signal Dynamics heads up charging system indicator (see link below) just before I installed the Buckeye stator upgrade. It is really super sensitive to any electrical draw as it reads in millivolts (whatever that is) and it literally drove me (and Squidly) nuts after I installed the new stator. Rectifier followed and all connections were dialectriacally greased. (Was that a word?) All was fine. However, somewhere down the road the nice indicator light would stay yellow most of the time, only occasionally dipping into the green then back to yellow. It was red whenever I turned on the driving lights. All of my tests with the DMM showed the bike was charging. I figured I would just take Squidleys advice and just ignore the light. Well, it still drove me nuts. I started wondering about the condition of the ignition switch and whether it was a part of the charging system. I asked several knowledgable sources who had different thoughts on this. One actually referenced the wiring diagram and said that it did not appear to run through the charging system. Still not a firm answer. So, since my tumblers in the ignition switch was worn badly and the switch is 10 years old AND it was probably one of the last original electrical components left on the bike I decided to replace it. Flatout in Indiana had the best price at 123.00 so I ordered the switch and installed it. I fired up the bike and, lo and behold I had a green light!!! A steady green light!!! Its been 2 weeks now and the charging system is doing what its supposed to do.

So, my point to this little story is that maybe, just maybe. and its only my opinion, but I think that Signal Dynamics LED light just might have indicated that the switch was deteriorating and it warned me prior to a faulure. The ignition switch obviously has something to do with the charging system, or at least had a big draw on the system as it was on its way out.

So, the moral to this long winded story is, check out the Signal Dynamics link below and think about ordering one for peace of mind. For the low price I think its well worth it. I also like the Kisan monitering device but at $140.00 bucks its a bit steep for me.

I use the model 1050 single light.

http://www.signaldynamics.com/products/Modules/HUVM.asp

Interesting article and I must admit I carrying a copy of the diagram to bypass the switch with me at all times. I have not installed a bypass switch as some others have.

Since I'm not sure where the monitor connects into the electrical system it's hard to comprehend exacting what was going on with the monitor and your switch. According to the article the amber light comes on at 12.6 volts. Actually that's a petty low voltage for the charging system. Even with a lot of load on the system I haven't seen the voltage that low.

I wonder just what the voltage is on your bike say at 2,000 rpm?

Just curious,

BOO

This is going to be a bit winded but I feel its necessary to detail all of it so you can be either: bored out of your skull, or get a good understanding of what im trying to say.....:backinmyday:

Over the years I have read about how the ignition switch just fails, leaving some stranded without warning. Now, most of you who followed my various posts over the last few years know about my charging system issues, which are now fully resolved thanks to some lengthy phone calls.....:whistling: That being said, I had installed a Signal Dynamics heads up charging system indicator (see link below) just before I installed the Buckeye stator upgrade. It is really super sensitive to any electrical draw as it reads in millivolts (whatever that is) and it literally drove me (and Squidly) nuts after I installed the new stator. Rectifier followed and all connections were dialectriacally greased. (Was that a word?) All was fine. However, somewhere down the road the nice indicator light would stay yellow most of the time, only occasionally dipping into the green then back to yellow. It was red whenever I turned on the driving lights. All of my tests with the DMM showed the bike was charging. I figured I would just take Squidleys advice and just ignore the light. Well, it still drove me nuts. I started wondering about the condition of the ignition switch and whether it was a part of the charging system. I asked several knowledgable sources who had different thoughts on this. One actually referenced the wiring diagram and said that it did not appear to run through the charging system. Still not a firm answer. So, since my tumblers in the ignition switch was worn badly and the switch is 10 years old AND it was probably one of the last original electrical components left on the bike I decided to replace it. Flatout in Indiana had the best price at 123.00 so I ordered the switch and installed it. I fired up the bike and, lo and behold I had a green light!!! A steady green light!!! Its been 2 weeks now and the charging system is doing what its supposed to do.

So, my point to this little story is that maybe, just maybe. and its only my opinion, but I think that Signal Dynamics LED light just might have indicated that the switch was deteriorating and it warned me prior to a faulure. The ignition switch obviously has something to do with the charging system, or at least had a big draw on the system as it was on its way out.

So, the moral to this long winded story is, check out the Signal Dynamics link below and think about ordering one for peace of mind. For the low price I think its well worth it. I also like the Kisan monitering device but at $140.00 bucks its a bit steep for me.

I use the model 1050 single light.

http://www.signaldynamics.com/products/Modules/HUVM.asp